Some strong words from Scoop | Syracusefan.com

Some strong words from Scoop

u can all hate scoop, one thing though he held the team together, played great,made big shots, none bigger than the 2 free throws last year vs wisconsin with about a minute left and cuse holding on to a 62-61 lead, scoop made it 64-61, you know the rest and was a hell of a player and leader, yet, fans wanted him gone cause mcw is better than scoop, pathetic, yet mcw playing an early season game vs nova, up 3 , misses a 1 and 1,

u can all hate scoop, one thing though he held the team together, played great,made big shots, none bigger than the 2 free throws last year vs wisconsin with about a minute left and cuse holding on to a 62-61 lead, scoop made it 64-61, you know the rest and was a hell of a player and leader, yet, fans wanted him gone cause mcw is better than scoop, pathetic, yet mcw playing an early season game vs nova, up 3 , misses a 1 and 1,
My favorite Orangeman, EVER.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully the team sees and hears this it is one thing to hear it from some some guy behind a microphone 24 hours a day. It is a whole different animal when it is your former leader. Hopefully this opens some eyes. This team has the pieces to make a good run, I?F they play with heart, and tap into their skill.

Scoop was definitely a leader and he encouraged his teammates.

I bet even the anti-Scoop brigade misses him just about now. I love me some Scoop. The man was a leader.

My favorite Orangeman, EVER.

i think i can speak for all of us when i say that you should go cold turkey on the bath salts

In fairness to MCW he did carry the team back from a 7 point deficit with I believe 5 and change left with 4 foul shots sandwiched around a hoop.

But Scoop is right.
I don't see the same "shut it down"mentality on defense...and "let's get a hoop" mindset on offense.
Everyone on the floor has to have it...regardless of the take charge guy(s).

There is a reason why PG's are nicknamed the floor general. Sherm was a floor general, Scoop was a floor general, Z his senior year learned to be a floor general, MCW with all his raw talent will never be a floor general.

There is a reason why PG's are nicknamed the floor general. Sherm was a floor general, Scoop was a floor general, Z his senior year learned to be a floor general, MCW with all his raw talent will never be a floor general.
It's pretty silly to say he will "never be a floor general". I don't think too many people thought Scoop was a floor general until at least his Junior year and even then, there were a LOT of doubters. Sherm was the epitomy of a floor leader, but to be fair, he had it easier than MCW in his first year. Compare Seikaly, HTriche, Coleman, Thompson, Monroe with Christmas, Grant/Southerland, Fair, BT and it isn't even close. If MCW sticks around for at least another year, I would bet you would see a big improvement in his leadership and decision making.

Make no mistake, college basketball is about winning and it is big business. But on a deeper and meaningful level, it's about teenagers coming to school, some quite immature and doing dumb stuff, and maturing as a person, as a teammate, as a proud student of Syracuse University, and as a citizen of the world. Scoop I'd definitely put on this level and his trajectory just rose and rose personally and athletically during his tenure at SU. Say what you will about his abilities, but the change he made and the heart he showed in those 4 years are to be commended. Thanks Scoop.

Funny how this revisionist history has now painted Scoop as some type of SU legend. Dude was absolutely HATED by what seemed to be a majority of SU fans during his time here.

FWIW, I was always a big Scoop supporter. ;) (Seriously though, I was).

i think i can speak for all of us when i say that you should go cold turkey on the bath salts
I never said I thought he was our best player, just my favorite, and its only in part due to basketball. I love his growth as a person, student and athlete. He's what colleges athletics should be about.

It's not just MCW missing the 1 and 1. He either turned it over or messed up the offense on like 3 or 4 straight possessions where all we freaking needed was to draw a foul and get to the line. Maybe the most frustrating loss regular season loss I have witnessed.

I was as hard on Scoop as anyone. You are totally right how he was a true leader and made some huge plays and shots when we needed it most. Scoop would NEVER make a play where he drives, jumps and leaves his feet and makes a 180/backwards pass.

I think scoop is spot on here. For the record, I never questioned scoops heart or effort, only his decision making from time to time. He was a good player and we could use him this year.

Scoop along with Andy are what college basketball should be about, not the greatest talent , but the greatest heart and dedication to be better. They both spent 4 years earning their place on the team, they both understood failure before becoming successful.

Loved scoop his senior year, but yeah, sophomore year (MCW is a sophomore), I don't think many people here thought he was a great leader either. And I think you can see MCW trying to be a leader. He tries to pick his teammates up and get them going, tries to get them in the right positions offensively. But sometimes he mistakes being a leader with trying to put the team on his back. I think if he stayed another year or two, we'd all think he was a great leader by the time he left as well.

“You’ve got to want it up here (head) and down here (heart) more than the other team,’’ he said. “I’m not sure if this team has that capacity and mentality right now.”

Why on earth did he point below his waist and shout "Choo Chooooooo!" when he said "down here?" So immature. If the team listens, expect a new thread on the scandal board in a few weeks.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I dont think it was that mcw was better than scoop last last year. It was he deserved more pt here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“You’ve got to want it up here (head) and down here (heart) more than the other team,’’ he said. “I’m not sure if this team has that capacity and mentality right now.”

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20130303/SPORTS03/703039919

I hope it lights a fire where needed.

I think it's too late but glad he said it. God forbid one of us said it especially someone with less than 50 posts! We would be called out either for being "too negative", "not a true fan", or what do we know, "do we over over 900 NCAA wins?"

Scoop may not have been a great player. But he was always a great leader and junior senior year he was pretty clutch.

It's pretty silly to say he will "never be a floor general". I don't think too many people thought Scoop was a floor general until at least his Junior year and even then, there were a LOT of doubters. Sherm was the epitomy of a floor leader, but to be fair, he had it easier than MCW in his first year. Compare Seikaly, HTriche, Coleman, Thompson, Monroe with Christmas, Grant/Southerland, Fair, BT and it isn't even close. If MCW sticks around for at least another year, I would bet you would see a big improvement in his leadership and decision making.

Agree on most accounts, but Sherm didn't become a real player until his sophomore/second year. I'm not going to look up the minutes, but he was a backup to Pearl as a freshman, and mutha-a gawd did he look inept in comparison to Pearl. I remember discussions on Lawrinson 20 about how screwed we were going to be when Pearl left...

So, yeah, if MCW were to return (i'm not hopeful or expecting it), he might make strides toward leadership. Let's also not forget that Sherm was never exactly a bulldog on defense...

Agree on most accounts, but Sherm didn't become a real player until his sophomore/second year. I'm not going to look up the minutes, but he was a backup to Pearl as a freshman, and mutha-a gawd did he look inept in comparison to Pearl. I remember discussions on Lawrinson 20 about how screwed we were going to be when Pearl left...

So, yeah, if MCW were to return (i'm not hopeful or expecting it), he might make strides toward leadership. Let's also not forget that Sherm was never exactly a bulldog on defense...

Sherm has gone on record as stating that he really benefited from playing against Pearl in practice every day that first year. But I don't think that it was as much him "become[ing] a real player" as it was him finally getting a chance to play. He was better his freshman year in limited capacity than you give him credit for--he just didn't play very much.

But his sophomore year, he emerged as a transcendent talent. Whatever it is that imbues point guards with the ability to make their teammates better, Sherman had "it" in abundance. MCW, not so much. Doesn't mean that he isn't a good player or that he won't improve his game / offense / leadership apptitude, he's just not nearly the player many on this board made him out to be earlier in this season--not even close.

Sherm has gone on record as stating that he really benefited from playing against Pearl in practice every day that first year. But I don't think that it was as much him not "become[ing] a real player" as it was him finally getting a chance to play. He was better his freshman year in limited capacity than you give him credit for--he just didn't play very much.

But his sophomore year, he emerged as a transcendent talent. Whatever it is that imbues point guards with the ability to make their teammates better, Sherman had "it" in abundance. MCW, not so much. Doesn't mean that he isn't a good player, he's just not nearly the player many on this board made him out to be earlier in this season--not even close.
While Sherm didn't have a great outside shot, he was pretty consistent from the top of the key.