Some strong words from Scoop | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some strong words from Scoop

While Sherm didn't have a great outside shot, he was pretty consistent from the top of the key.

Agreed--and for a small guard, he shot an incredible % from the field [despite not being a great outside shooter as you point out].

Love Sherm--hands down, my all-time favorite SU player.

Agree on most accounts, but Sherm didn't become a real player until his sophomore/second year. I'm not going to look up the minutes, but he was a backup to Pearl as a freshman, and mutha-a gawd did he look inept in comparison to Pearl. I remember discussions on Lawrinson 20 about how screwed we were going to be when Pearl left...

So, yeah, if MCW were to return (i'm not hopeful or expecting it), he might make strides toward leadership. Let's also not forget that Sherm was never exactly a bulldog on defense...

All due respect, but I don't ever remember Sherm looking "inept" playing behind Pearl.
The overall consensus where I lived on the Mount was that Sherm was gonna be a great replacement and a better defender than Pearl. Pearl was just a great individual talent- you give him the ball and get outta his way. But Sherm was the better pure PG, and was a very good defender. Pearl played alot of matador defense at times, and Sherm was a bulldog in man-2-man.
One of my favorites plays that year was watching Sherm in the middle on a break, where the ball never hit the ground and a perfect bounce pass to Pearl for the easy hoop. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE exploded on that play, because we could see we had a very good replacement next year for our superstar. He ended up being better than we ever thought he'd become.
Can't speak for everyone obviously, but the issue was more "He'll never be as good as Pearl", versus "He sucks and won't make it".