Some thoughts/ observations | Syracusefan.com

Some thoughts/ observations

iommi

Living Legend
It's been a while since I've posted anything more than a brief response or comment, so I figured I'd jump in. I have tried in the past few weeks not to get sucked into the vortex of negativity that this board can become when the team goes through some strife. I've been lurking.

Anyway, here are a few thoughts; I'm going to jump around a lot, as I remember some things. Rapid fire.

Kaleb Joseph's handle is a lot worse than I thought it would be. I've watched a ton of high school clips and I never noticed his dribbling being so high and his handle so shaky. I expected him to be somewhat turnover prone. I like how his jump shot has been looking since the Michigan game and he has a nice floater/ mid-range. I know he's not the strongest kid but I expected him to be a better finisher too. He can really get over the rim and dunk but he's gotten packaged a lot more than I thought he would. He's a classic freshman pg/ work-in-progress.

Nice to see Trevor get his jumper going against LA Tech; hope he can use the confidence boost to find some consistency. He did well as a lead guard too yesterday too. He also looked like he was talking a lot out of timeout huddles. Nice that he's seems to be showing some leadership.

JB's press conference was very illuminating. I know JB can be brutally honest but I'm not sure what his motivation is for really being so frank. I don't think this team is very confident and I doubt his comments will help light a fire under them or get them focused.

Yesterday's game by McCullough was the type of performance I was concerned about. Lazy/ stupid fouls and not a ton of energy. He needs to turn up his motor every game. We don't have enough talent for him to play like that.

Roc's been amazing but the stupid fouls are... stupid. He'll never learn but it is maddening. One thing I hope we go to is more of a high low with him and McC, with Chris at the elbow or foul line. Chris can shoot the 15 footer or drop it into Roc.

One other thing I picked up on in JB's presser was someone asked about G's absence and JB seemed really annoyed--not at the question but about the injury. He said G's back tightened up but it seemed to me that JB's tone and body language was odd, as if he was annoyed with G. I'm probably just reading into things too much?

Very pleased with Roberson yesterday. JB had a great point about Tyler playing out of position when he's at the 3. He always seemed to me to be a 4 as well. Next year.

I know Chino is not ready but his lack of playing time doesn't bode well for next year. If Bryant doesn't come here we are screwed at the center position. Coleman has not looked that enthusiastic on the bench recently; he must be bummed at how things are going for him and who can blame him. Sad situation.

Can we please stop fouling 3 point shooters?! Seems we do that at least once a game. Stupid.

If someone gave me Syracuse +15 against Nova, I wouldn't take it. I hope I'm dead wrong but I think that could get ugly.

Where was Buss yesterday? I guess he'll only play when Cooney can't hit the broad side of a barn?

Someone should be monitoring BJ to make sure he's eating 5 meals a day. I'm not sure he's the great shooter he was billed as; his shot has a funky look to it and his shot comes out like a corkscrew so he rarely gets a shooter's roll. He does look great at the ft stripe. I like BJ and hope he improves. I think he's D-Nic2 and will have a nice senior campaign.

We are not a good team at shooting, passing or catching. That seems to be a big group of problems to overcome.

I thought our defense was marginally improved up at the front of the zone, but that's not saying much. Against Michigan and SJU our guard defenders looked like they were acting out a scene from "Exodus" and the parting of the Red Sea.

Why don't we run a back pick/ lob to either Roc or Chris...or even BJ? Seems that is a releatively easy way to steal a few points for a team that is offensively challenged. We could even steal La Tech's lob play; that seemed to work well.

I hope we are a bubble team; I think I'd sign for that right now.

JB is more cranky than he usually is. I think he's really frustrated and realizes he might not be able to find answers this year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom