Somebody would have a really hard time convincing me | Syracusefan.com

Somebody would have a really hard time convincing me

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
That the problems on offense are play calling or scheme. Sure there is some questionable calls, but I see an o line that got beat consistently yesterday and a 5th year qb that continues to force plays and gets careless with the football. To me Marrones biggest issue is recruiting and turnovers from a guy that should know better, if this is hacks fault I just don't buy it.

Marrone has failed by not recruiting a better qb if people want to lay blame and no doubt on special teams

That I agree with. It's on him to hav not recruited a better QB. They need some one who isn't going to panic and have poor judgement. He did throw for 350yds so the protection wasn't that bad. This game was really determined by one play. If they don't block that FG this is an entirely different game. A 10 point swing is pretty significant in a low scoring game

If that doesn't happen I think that SU wins.

The thing I don't get is we're not winning. Does it matter if we're not winning with Nassib? Can we see what Broyld, or Hunt, can do?

That the problems on offense are play calling or scheme. Sure there is some questionable calls, but I see an o line that got beat consistently yesterday and a 5th year qb that continues to force plays and gets careless with the football. To me Marrones biggest issue is recruiting and turnovers from a guy that should know better, if this is hacks fault I just don't buy it.

Marrone has failed by not recruiting a better qb if people want to lay blame and no doubt on special teams

If recruiting and TOs are your biggest issues as a BCS football school, your team needs a new coach.

You will never win at a top 25 level consistently if those are your two biggest issues.

That the problems on offense are play calling or scheme. Sure there is some questionable calls, but I see an o line that got beat consistently yesterday and a 5th year qb that continues to force plays and gets careless with the football. To me Marrones biggest issue is recruiting and turnovers from
a guy that should know better, if this is hacks fault I just don't buy it.

Agreed except I believe the real recruiting failure has been the inability to recruit any skill position difference makers.

I think it's a combination of both coaching and players.

Nassib at times has incredible tunnel vision on passes over the middle in the 10-15 yard range. Rutgers set him up on those interceptions as they knew Nassib going back to that play all game long.It's also on the staff for keep calling or allowing him to check off on it.

plus how many times in all the fumbles did Nassib have over the years have two hands on the ball when being tackled.I keep noticing that he brings the ball down to waist level with one hand on the ball.That is a habit that the staff could break him of if they had the guts to bench him when he does it.

It's just too repetative at this point of his career.

If recruiting and TOs are your biggest issues as a BCS football school, your team needs a new coach.

You will never win at a top 25 level consistently if those are your two biggest issues.
Or a major facilities upgrade, and consistent strong fan support.

I think Marrone and the staff make their share of in-game mistakes but I think what separates the great coaches and lesser is that lots of the great coaches' mistakes work anyway because they have better players.

Ask discerning fans of perennially great teams and they'll tell you about the head-scratching decisions their coaches make all the time.

My bottom line is (1) I think most of the arm-chair QBs here don't really know what they're talking about but it doesn't really matter because (2) Marrone isn't getting it done, whatever the reason. The vast majority of his problem is recruiting but whatever, Gross has to decide how much time to give him and if it's not happening, move on.

I'd say give the next class of QB recruits time to show something and if things don't clearly improve, it'll be time to look for a new coach. I think that's an awfully long time to give Marrone to turn it around but blowing it all up every few years hasn't guaranteed progress either.

The inability to recruit a decent QB in year 4 is the most distrubing thing to me. The play calling is really wacked though. The repeated run wides to Gulley yesterday were put a gun to your head bad. We were having success with Smith running between the tackles and then the Hack starts calling the sweeps with Gulley again and again. Insane. He should have been fired last year.

I think you can win with Nassib, if the penalties and turnovers were limited. He's not rising up the record books because he's awful.

Needs to limit dumb INT and hold onto the ball. He's not great - but good can win you some of the remaining games, especially if the defense keeps getting better.

I think you can win with Nassib, if the penalties and turnovers were limited. He's not rising up the record books because he's awful.

Needs to limit dumb INT and hold onto the ball. He's not great - but good can win you some of the remaining games, especially if the defense keeps getting better.

There is a direct correlation between our current QB and the constant turnovers. We have a very serious problem there.

Right. But he's not been as bad as he was Sat his whole career. We're real close - one less dumb INT the last 2 losses and we win.

Right. But he's not been as bad as he was Sat his whole career. We're real close - one less dumb INT the last 2 losses and we win.

CouldaWouldaShouldaMighta. He is not a legit D1 QB and never will be. Close doesn't count. You are what your record says you are.

What?! He's no McNabb, but I've seen far worse on many, many d1 teams. Besides, just a few weeks ago the word on Nassib was sure-fire NFL draft pick...

CouldaWouldaShouldaMighta. He is not a legit D1 QB and never will be. Close doesn't count. You are what your record says you are.

That's extreme. The guy holds or will hold every passing record at SU. To say he is below DI caliber is an indictment on the history of Syracuse football. He is an average, serviceable, DI QB. Four-year DI starter? No. But he's as good as SU had in that stretch, which speaks to other matters.

I think he'll regroup and find a way to win 2 more likely 3 more games this year. Finding that 4th will be difficult. Isn't 6-6 the prediction made by the vast general consensus for this team?

That's extreme. The guy holds or will hold every passing record at SU. To say he is below DI caliber is an indictment on the history of Syracuse football. He is an average, serviceable, DI QB. Four-year DI starter? No. But he's as good as SU had in that stretch, which speaks to other matters.

I think he'll regroup and find a way to win 2 more likely 3 more games this year. Finding that 4th will be difficult. Isn't 6-6 the prediction made by the vast general consensus for this team?

He's also on track to break the INT record and probably total turnover record as well. We went all in on Nassib this season- his stats will be inflated but he also has that many more chances to up.

The wind shifted and now he's not a serviceable D1 QB. Win the next two games, and everyone will be back thinking he's OK.

He's also on track to break the INT record and probably total turnover record as well. We went all in on Nassib this season- his stats will be inflated but he also has that many more chances to up.

There was no choice but to go all-in. His backups were nowhere near ready or capable to start or even challenge for the dreaded QB rotation (and perhaps may never be).

There was no choice but to go all-in. His backups were nowhere near ready or capable to start or even challenge for the dreaded QB rotation (and perhaps may never be).

They could have gone for a more balanced running and passing attack. Take some of the pressure off him to produce all of the offense. Nassib has 250 pass attempts and at this pace will have around 500 for the season. That's 85+/- more attempts than last year when he broke the completions and attempts record.

They could have gone for a more balanced running and passing attack. They still can.

Agree on that. The offense needs to be more multiple, especially now that conference play is here and teams have had plenty of time to study the no-huddle pass-heavy version. Difficulty in doing so to the preferred degree is the lack of a playmaker out of the backfield, well-addressed above in this thread.

They could have gone for a more balanced running and passing attack. How many passing attempts has Nassib had this season? How many rushing attempts?

Yeah, and then everyone would be calling for them to "air it out." Second guessing is easy. Coaching is hard.

Yeah, and then everyone would be calling for them to "air it out." Second guessing is easy. Coaching is hard.

I'm not second guessing. I am making a recommendation to make changes going forward. This offense may work with a more composed QB, but Nassib plays like Tony Romo under pressure.

I agree 100% on that. Smith is a bull dog. They need short passes to PTG in space (like a run).

Agree with that. He's top 50 in the country in every passing stat, and much higher in some, with the exception of INT's where of his 8, 2-3 came off a WR. Being top 50 in everything says above average to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

When Nassib got the job as a sophomore and put up decent numbers, (after years of having poor QB numbers), I saw a problem in that he'd likely be the QB the rest of his career while talent piled up behind him. He is not a Marorne recruit. The Marrone recruits are the guys behind him. Yes, they are behind him, so they aren't exactly Cam Newton but you don't normally replace a competent starter just because the guy behind him might turn out to be better. Maybe you should. But I could see Nassib becoming a bottleneck that prevented the guys behind him from getting a chance and that may have happened. if so, we don't know how good or bad Marrone's QB recruiting has been because none of the guys he's recruited have played yet.

it would be interesting to know just how "open" the competition at quarterback has really been the last couple of years.