Somehow, we missed a milestone. | Syracusefan.com

Somehow, we missed a milestone.

I'm pretty sure we were all cleaning up our wet pants after that Maryland game so this probably sneaked by us. Good catch! Happy belated 1900!

JB has 947 wins which means he has half of the entire program's wins and we are a top 5 program in wins. WOW.
He has even more when you throw in wins as a player and assistant.

SU entered the season with 1874 wins, all time. So win #26, vs. Maryland, put the program at 1900.

Congrats, Orange(men).
Nice pickup Otto. Missed it completely. I for one am hoping JB sets a goal to get us to 2000 wins. A great start would be another 9 wins this year!!!

And no t-shirts? Couldn't be true then. ;)
What?
You didn't buy your "1900 and counting..." t-shirt?

You know that heads are rolling at SU's sports marketing dept. for not hawking that one.
Wonder how many 25-0 shirts they have left.

What?
You didn't buy your "1900 and counting..." t-shirt?

You know that heads are rolling at SU's sports marketing dept. for not hawking that one.
Wonder how many 25-0 shirts they have left.

I think it's actually our friends at Holy Shirts who are very creative in the number of commemorative SU shirts.

I have often wondered about the disconnect (respect level-wise) between SU's early 20th century regular season/overall individual victories, and their 2 early 20th century national championships; giving them a total of 3.

I get the various reasons why the first 2 crowns aren't considered relevant in the modern era. But if I'm on some national messageboard and a fan of another team brags about how their school has more all time wins than SU (some of which came barely after the bottom of the peach basket had actually been cut out), then I don't see why I can't mention SU's 3 titles if it's more than the other school has.

I have often wondered about the disconnect (respect level-wise) between SU's early 20th century regular season/overall individual victories, and their 2 early 20th century national championships; giving them a total of 3.

I get the various reasons why the first 2 crowns aren't considered relevant in the modern era. But if I'm on some national messageboard and a fan of another team brags about how their school has more all time wins than SU (some of which came barely after the bottom of the peach basket had actually been cut out), then I don't see why I can't mention SU's 3 titles if it's more than the other school has.

Part of the issue is that those two national championships were determined several years after the actual season.

per wiki:

The Helms Athletic Foundation was an athleticfoundation based in Los Angeles, California, U.S., founded in 1936 by Bill Schroeder and Paul Helms. It put together a panel of experts[citation needed] to select National Champion teams and make All-America team selections in a number of college sports including football and basketball. The panel met annually[citation needed] to vote on a National Champion until 1982 and retroactively ranked football teams dating back to 1883 and basketball back to 1901. The Helms Foundation also operated a Hall of Fame for both college sports. Selections prior to 1936 are often disputed as many of them are not derived from actual head-to-head competition and rely on historical documents to interpret champions.

per wiki:

The Helms Athletic Foundation was an athleticfoundation based in Los Angeles, California, U.S., founded in 1936 by Bill Schroeder and Paul Helms. It put together a panel of experts[citation needed] to select National Champion teams and make All-America team selections in a number of college sports including football and basketball. The panel met annually[citation needed] to vote on a National Champion until 1982 and retroactively ranked football teams dating back to 1883 and basketball back to 1901. The Helms Foundation also operated a Hall of Fame for both college sports. Selections prior to 1936 are often disputed as many of them are not derived from actual head-to-head competition and rely on historical documents to interpret champions.

Yeah the Helm's ones are tough. Some elite programs do count them in their total (I seem to recall that Kansas does). Although, the Helm's method of picking a champion is not really all that different than how College FB champs were determined for a long time (essentially pick somebody based on record). The difference being Helms did it for past teams. The con of that is that there is no "eye test" the pro of it is that those teams and their records "stood the test of time" as great teams. Either, way in the modern era, really only NCAA championships are respected.

Good find!

1900th basketball win and 700th football win in the same academic year. Sweet.

Other schools recognize their Helms titles. I don't know why we downplay them.

I'm really looking forward to #2000. That is true rarified air. It should happen in December of 2017 (or thereabouts).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom