Something fishy about Larry Csonka | Syracusefan.com

Something fishy about Larry Csonka

SWC75

Bored Historian
I came across this on You-Tube about one of my childhood heroes:

I still maintain that a backfield with a quarterback, a fullback to block and run between the tackles, a halfback who can run sweeps and catch passes, (Lenny Moore is more the prototype than Kiick or Morris), two wide-outs and a tight end is the best offensive formation they've ever come up with. I believe you could run any play we see today with that grouping and you could switch to a one-back or empty backfield on third down if you wanted to. I miss the days of the Csonka crashing through the middle while someone who could take it all the way was on an 'island' to the outside.

Of course on out team this year, we basically did have a fullback. His name was Dungey.

There was an interesting story (I forget the book) about Czonka's mother calling coach Ben one summer to complain. Seems Larry was building up his forearms by delivering forearm shivers to cement wall in the basement, and evidently, the cement was losing. Old school.

There was an interesting story (I forget the book) about Czonka's mother calling coach Ben one summer to complain. Seems Larry was building up his forearms by delivering forearm shivers to cement wall in the basement, and evidently, the cement was losing. Old school.

His father used to make him kneel on corn cobs for hours as a punishment.

csonka , kiick and mercury morris was a helluva backfield.

As a frosh who got flattened by Larry in a touch game in Thorden Park in 1964, I can attest to his skills. :p

So could Rick Dean. he was the 6-6 230 center for the first orange BB team I followed. He'd been an all-state DE in new jersey and decided to come out for football. he got hit by Csonka on his first play in practice and wound up flat on his back. he got up, went to the locker room, pulled his pads off and rejoined the basketball team.

One of his linemen told me that when he first walked into the locker room as a frosh, he announced that he was going to break all of Jim Brown's records. They all thought he was crazy. He was. It was also said that he lifted a VW but I forgot the details. Another story was about some team members tearing up a bathroom after a loss. If there was so much angst after a loss in recent years there would be no bathrooms left on campus.

One of his linemen told me that when he first walked into the locker room as a frosh, he announced that he was going to break all of Jim Brown's records. They all thought he was crazy. He was. It was also said that he lifted a VW but I forgot the details. Another story was about some team members tearing up a bathroom after a loss. If there was so much angst after a loss in recent years there would be no bathrooms left on campus.

didn't he play lb his freshman season?

didn't he play lb his freshman season?

he didn't play varsity in his freshman season. I think he started his sophomore season as a linebacker and Ben then switched him after a couple of games. he later called trying to use Larry as a linebacker as the biggest mistake of his career.

could have happened as a frosh or soph? I was an RA as were the quarterback and a lineman that we all used to eat together with.

Tearing up bathrooms. Something I can brag about being as good at as Larry Csonka.

My dad loved him and talked about him constantly. Thought he was best fb we or anyone had ever had. Can’t argue he was a beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom