Something new... | Syracusefan.com

Something new...

LAOrange

Starter
Having your forwards rotate through the zone while your guards search for the entry pass is new. Usually, a team relies on one player to stand at the foul line and shuffle their feet to meet the ball handler. By passing two players through, it shifts the back line and allows the mid range player to catch in the paint. The key is to have two forwards who can think and act quickly.

Having your forwards rotate through the zone while your guards search for the entry pass is new. Usually, a team relies on one player to stand at the foul line and shuffle their feet to meet the ball handler. By passing two players through, it shifts the back line and allows the mid range player to catch in the paint. The key is to have two forwards who can think and act quickly.

Very perceptive. That was part of the offense last night, a big part. A couple people complained there was too much passing back and forth between Frank and Tyus. What they failed to do was watch what the other 3 guys were doing as we tried to get Dukes zone to move side to side. Well done.

Last edited:
Boeheim really got the team prepared; the offense was suited to exploit not just a zone but specifically Duke's zone. Our defense was good as usual, and players looked like they were up to speed on the scouting report (they did a good job on Allen in particular, not biting on the shot fake and giving him the deep set shot).

That loss was just a result of execution. Less talented players didn't make the plays. But we couldn't ask for the coaching staff to have done a better job. I was impressed.

Last edited:
Boeheim really got the team prepared; the offense was suited to exploit not just a zone but specifically Duke's zone. Our defense was good as usual, and players looked like they were up to speed on the scouting report (they did a good job on Allen in particular, not biting on the shot fake and giving him the deep set shot).

That loss was just a result of execution. Less talented players didn't make the plays. But we couldn't ask for the coaching staff to have done a better job. I was impressed.

This is what i was trying to say in my post above. You articulated it much better than I could. I was impressed as well. I wish we did it more often this year.

Great post.

Too bad we missed a few dunks, otherwise who knows how it might have played out. Missed opportunity. Damn...

Excellent post

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to recognizing specific plays, but I feel like I've never seen su run that kind of zone offense before.

Pin point bounce passes around the guards. Forward slashing through the middle of the zone. Really effective offense.

Hope that carries over into next year when our talent will be a notch higher. I can imagine seeing a few more copy cat zone attempts thanks to dukes overall success and our post season run. Would be nice if we can cut through them easily.

So did Boeheim provide a new blueprint on how to attack our zone?

So did Boeheim provide a new blueprint on how to attack our zone?

Or, did K give JB an incentive to fine-tune an attack for the zone, and by extension an incentive to ratchet up the zone in order to defend against that same type of attack?

Running an offense that can beat your defense should, theoretically, give you the tools to adjust and improve. JB is certainly savvy enough to take what he learned attacking the zone and teach it to his kids on the defensive end.

It was a nice wrinkle that proved to be very effective. But it is also important to note that Duke was essentially playing a 4-1 zone, which left a lot of room behind the perimeter wall. And it wasn't just about having the wing defenders hedge up -- they were playing four guys out there by design.

But I DO agree with your main point. I like that approach, and think it can be effective. Especially when you have triple threat forwards like Dolezaj or Bazley next year. I expect our offense to be a LOT different next season, as a function of Bazley's multi-faceted skill set.

Or, did K give JB an incentive to fine-tune an attack for the zone, and by extension an incentive to ratchet up the zone in order to defend against that same type of attack?

Running an offense that can beat your defense should, theoretically, give you the tools to adjust and improve. JB is certainly savvy enough to take what he learned attacking the zone and teach it to his kids on the defensive end.

My point is that if I am a Syracuse opponent, the first tape I go to is the tape of Syracuse playing against its own zone. That is a substantial negative to a peer school like Duke playing it. They can play it with same level size/athleticism we do and we play them at least once per year creating lots of tape of Boeheim showing how it should be attacked. Will be interesting to see how it forces JB to evolve both offensively and defensively.

My point is that if I am a Syracuse opponent, the first tape I go to is the tape of Syracuse playing against its own zone. That is a substantial negative to a peer school like Duke playing it. They can play it with same level size/athleticism we do and we play them at least once per year creating lots of tape of Boeheim showing how it should be attacked. Will be interesting to see how it forces JB to evolve both offensively and defensively.

I agree, and thanks for this statement. Too many posters on this board believe "JB" and "evolve" don't belong in the same sentence. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom