Something to make you smile in a depressing week for SU sports | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Something to make you smile in a depressing week for SU sports

He led us to a 2-5 record as a true freshman. He led us to a 4-5 record as a Soph and again as a JR. His SR year he led us to an 8-2 record. Overall he was 18-17. Without him we were 3-11. We are 3-6 so far this year. Hmmm.
Not just that...How many close losses did SU have against quality opponents with him at the helm?

If I were starting a college squad...give me 80 of him. Intensity, drive, desire, etc. I can tell you this...if hJersey is ever retired, I will do whatever I can to make sure I am there with my family.
SUOrange44

He led us to a 2-5 record as a true freshman. He led us to a 4-5 record as a Soph and again as a JR. His SR year he led us to an 8-2 record. Overall he was 18-17. Without him we were 3-11. We are 3-6 so far this year. Hmmm.
check your #s. Your actually taking him off for wins against UNC and FSU. Let me go through and start taking off losses where he single handedly kept us in games. Very skewed numbers.

Let's pump the brakes, wait until he makes some $, gives it back before we hang the # up on the rafters.

They didn't retire McNabb's number in 1999.

cool - i was off by 3 for the sake of comedy. So you're down with retiring the number of a hardly 500 player that didnt play a majority of the games in his career?

Let's pump the brakes, wait until he makes some $, gives it back before we hang the # up on the rafters.

They didn't retire McNabb's number in 1999.
I'm not saying they should do it next year.

check your #s. Your actually taking him off for wins against UNC and FSU. Let me go through and start taking off losses where he single handedly kept us in games. Very skewed numbers.

IMO we lose UNC but we will never know. So how can you credit him? I think we beat FSU either way but also lose to ND either way. We also IMO still beat CMU and BC his freshman year. I credited him with what was deserved. How is that skewed?

cool - i was off by 3 for the sake of comedy. So you're down with retiring the number of a hardly 500 player that didnt play a majority of the games in his career?
Your basing everything on W-L record. Guess you want to have Joe Morris # taken down.

I saw a ton of pressure on Dungey in those highlights. He was hit a lot, injured a lot, but would still hang in the pocket going through his reads and take hits. The line was statistically terrible last year as well as many previous years. The difference is he didn't shy from contact and would keep his eyes up to make throws. He had average arm strength and average accuracy and some how put up monster numbers. Thems called intangibles.

I saw a ton of pressure on Dungey in those highlights. He was hit a lot, injured a lot, but would still hang in the pocket going through his reads and take hits. The line was statistically terrible last year as well as many previous years. The difference is he didn't shy from contact and would keep his eyes up to make throws. He had average arm strength and average accuracy and some how put up monster numbers. Thems called intangibles.

Agree, but I also saw a lot of clean pockets with plenty of time.

Not trying to compare the QBs, I was looking at it more to compare the OLs since the OL coach is on the internet chopping block.

Agree, but I also saw a lot of clean pockets with plenty of time.

Not trying to compare the QBs, I was looking at it more to compare the OLs since the OL coach is on the internet chopping block.
I think that is fair. The line was better last year for sure but people are making it out to be the Patriots protecting Brady. It was bad last year. I think the part I'm struggling with is when TD does have time in the pocket he seems to be missing reads or overthrowing. I think its the timing in his head all out of sorts.

I always thought his deep ball accuracy was very underrated. See some great deep throws on the money.

It’s interesting the posters who feel they need to poop on ED b/c they’re so sensitive to how TD looks.
Maybe it's just because there are guys named, Dwight Freeney, Chandler Jones, Donovan Darius, Tebucky Jones, Marvin Harrison, Rob Konrad, and more that I'm forgetting, should probably get theirs retired first?

I always thought his deep ball accuracy was very underrated. See some great deep throws on the money.
I agree. He definitely got better over time. He was inconsistent though and I think it was solely based on his mechanics. When he fundamentally threw the ball it looked great, accurate with zip. When those mechanics weren't tight he could float the ball a bit.

Maybe it's just because there are guys named, Dwight Freeney, Chandler Jones, Donovan Darius, Tebucky Jones, Marvin Harrison, Rob Konrad, and more that I'm forgetting, should probably get theirs retired first?
Freeney yes, Harrison yes , the rest Maybe

thought same amazing how many great plays Harris made last year as well as Johnson. Now they aren’t big or fast enough...funny
To be fair, Johnson made his most impactful play on a ball from Devito last year. I think he’s either hurt or has actually regressed

Freeney yes, Harrison yes , the rest Maybe
I agree, but with the current state of SU football, we should retire pretty much anyone who had a decent NFL career.

To be fair, Johnson made his most impactful play on a ball from Devito last year. I think he’s either hurt or has actually regressed

I would argue his most impactful ball was against NC State from the Dunger... doesn’t really matter though, splitting hairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom