Sometimes being an idealist is what is needed. Future | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sometimes being an idealist is what is needed. Future

Never know if Sidibe, based on double-doubles at end of last season, would have made a big difference.
Regardless, indefensible huge impact by having 3 "incapable" backup centers and for a 3rd season way-undersized Marek is forced to get pummeled playing out of position. That's on JB and recruiting.

Never know how a non-Covid season, with fan attendance/lack thereof, or fan "feedback" at the Dome would have impacted this situation. That would have been interesting to observe. Would JB have been able to say only "40-50" fans had an issue with his distribution of playing time?

$$$ is bottom line -if a strong negative trend in that regard, would expect the AD will have to look hard at making a difficult decision.

Observing and projecting the trend is key -look at the past 7yr then look forward to where is JB taking the program that he built.
Find solid reasons for hope/optimism, or change ASAP.

Spot on. Nobody will or should ever question what JAB has done for this program or Syracuse in general. He holds a special place in college basketball history, but he's absolutely doing his legacy a huge disservice. I think he just likes to hear himself talk and stir up controversy. Even if you're asked about a player at another program, you just keep your mouth shut. How hard is it to just say "Jalen Johnson doesn't play for SU, I don't have anything to say on the matter."

He could even just say that Duke is still a good team and will be a tough matchup even without Johnson. Doesn't have to say they are better or anything like that.

Coach is a good man with a big heart. He is flawed like all of us. At 76 I am stunned that he hasn’t retired already...he has a stunning wife who he should be traveling with and doting on.
This ^^^ Its always the people with money that don't get it and he could still be doing things that keep him attached to the basketball world.

It sucks to be a realist when you look at situations.

If there was reason to feel the direction of the program could trend back up I would be defending the wall.
I get negativity sucks. Rick Pitino said it well in press conference while coaching the Celtics 20 years ago.

The people pounding have legitimate points. There is a little reason in my opinion to think things will be much different next season.

So my question is do fans frustrated have to just shut up and ride the next 2 years or what can cause the clamoring for change within how things are done to occur?
The change may happen when the dome’s reopened and no one comes haha

Rick Pitino said it well in press conference while coaching the Celtics 20 years ago.
As you know, Rick Pitino was an embarrassingly incompetent NBA GM. That's why Celtics fans were
negative, because we knew he was a clown and the franchise was screwed with him in charge. Negativity tends to be highly correlated with the level of hope within a fanbase. Hence, the current climate surrounding SU hoops.

My feeling is that he’s teetering between stubborn and outright egotistical. Most universities/schools would not put up with the antics and bickering towards individual student athletes. At this point if I were a high schooler, sure Syracuse may have been my dream school but I don’t want to play for that guy.

It’s gotten to the point where the casual fans and some more die hards resent JB and the program for how the conclusion/prolonging of this era has been handled. There’s no point in sugarcoating it. There’s no visible handoff or plan. Its a real shame, it hurts the program and a great coach’s legacy.

It sucks to be a realist when you look at situations.

If there was reason to feel the direction of the program could trend back up I would be defending the wall.
I get negativity sucks. Rick Pitino said it well in press conference while coaching the Celtics 20 years ago.

The people pounding have legitimate points. There is a little reason in my opinion to think things will be much different next season.

So my question is do fans frustrated have to just shut up and ride the next 2 years or what can cause the clamoring for change within how things are done to occur?
Counting myself among the frustrated fans, I don't think we have to just shut up. I think we can continue to point out the (realistic) changes needed to be more successful within JB's system that obviously isn't going to change at this point. i.e.:
- actual (longer, quicker, energized) personnel to make his 2-3 zone effective
- an actual center and an actual backup center who he's actually willing to play
- better recruiting and/or transfer acquisitions
- playing the best players the most minutes

So we have witnessed way too many blowouts in recent years, the ceiling of our expectations are being lowered. Now we are celebrating not having a losing season, thats nice but such a decline.

I am curious to see how this team responds after this blowout, coach included. Does he continue to make minor lineup changes? I know hes not going from zone to man.

Tournament looks doubtful, its not over but its unlikely. I am curious to see how they finish out the stretch GT, UNC, Clem. Anymore losses and JB should start coaching with next season in mind.

What do I mean by that? Some insiders say Marek and BS are gone, so start rotating JBA, Edwards, Frank, Woody, their is no redshirt that they burn by doing so. Stop playing Buddy in all instances, try experimenting with AG at the 2.

And stop singleing out players by name in press conferences, its a bad look.

My feeling is that he’s teetering between stubborn and outright egotistical. Most universities/schools would not put up with the antics and bickering towards individual student athletes. At this point if I were a high schooler, sure Syracuse may have been my dream school but I don’t want to play for that guy.

It’s gotten to the point where the casual fans and some more die hards resent JB and the program for how the conclusion/prolonging of this era has been handled. There’s no point in sugarcoating it. There’s no visible handoff or plan. Its a real shame, it hurts the program and a great coach’s legacy.
Agreed, you rarely see him display positive encouragement to players during the game. It always looks like hes nagging. The ND game he seemed excited during the comeback and gave that windmill fist pump at the buzzer, thats about the only time he hasnt looked our sounded miserable this year to me.

So we have witnessed way too many blowouts in recent years, the ceiling of our expectations are being lowered. Now we are celebrating not having a losing season, thats nice but such a decline.

I am curious to see how this team responds after this blowout, coach included. Does he continue to make minor lineup changes? I know hes not going from zone to man.

Tournament looks doubtful, its not over but its unlikely. I am curious to see how they finish out the stretch GT, UNC, Clem. Anymore losses and JB should start coaching with next season in mind.

What do I mean by that? Some insiders say Marek and BS are gone, so start rotating JBA, Edwards, Frank, Woody, their is no redshirt that they burn by doing so. Stop playing Buddy in all instances, try experimenting with AG at the 2.

I'd say the only time to single out players in a presser, is to give them kudos.
If one (or more) of them had a great game - say it!!

Otherwise, do the coach thing, and take the blame yourself for any negatives.
Because, at the end of the day, it is on you anyway.

And yes, IF we don't win the next game or 2, then it should be all about getting guys run, and seeing what we have for next season.

But you know how Boeheim do.
So I doubt we will be seeing that. Sigh.

It’s becoming like Avengers Civil War you are either team Tony Stark or team Captain America.

- an actual center and an actual backup center who he's actually willing to play
- better recruiting and/or transfer acquisitions
- playing the best players the most minutes
I got criticized last year for saying the staff is asleep at the wheel when they didnt offer PF/C transfers that ended up signing with Power 5 schools

Signing Frank was smart but for a program that has been mediocre and a fanbase that is starting to get impatient, they should have went with a quick fix at that position

As is right now in 2021:

- We cannot pull in a top 30 recruiting class as Syracuse University. Not since 2016, and only one player made an impact.

- I understand we have a signed 5 star, but yet again for another consecutive year we do not pull in a competent big man and will undoubtedly rely on a transfer. Nor do we bring in a guard.

- The highlight of our season has been comeback wins vs UB, Notre Dame and a home win over VTech. We are no longer performing against “Quad 1” teams.

- 3 ACC tournament wins since 2014. So not sure we should expect salvation for tournament hopes there.

-5 of 7 losses have been blow outs. This is developing, or has already, into a trend.

Last edited:
I got criticized last year for saying the staff is asleep at the wheel when they didnt offer PF/C transfers that ended up signing with Power 5 schools

Signing Frank was smart but for a program that has been mediocre and a fanbase that is starting to get impatient, they should have went with a quick fix at that position
Yep. There's no excuse, even with injuries/covid, to be caught w your pants down in terms of not having a serviceable big man you can bring in to play meaningful minutes. Zero excuse.

Coach is a good man with a big heart. He is flawed like all of us. At 76 I am stunned that he hasn’t retired already...he has a stunning wife who he should be traveling with and doting on.
Is he though? His comments about Jalen Johnson and Duke are just gross. Responding about Bilas by saying "I know more than Jay" is just awful. Why say this crap? Jim is selfish. He still coaching at 76 because it's what HE wants to do, not what's best for the program. HE wants to coach his son so he's just gonna keep on doing what he wants. Selfish.

This sums everything up perfectly! Having no answer at the Center position, yet again, is on Jim. Jim has been unprepared for closing in on a decade. He's had no answer at PG, no answer at C, plays guys out of position, won't play his bench, won't change his philosophy, and God-forbid you bring up switching up the precious zone from time-to-time.

But hey - over .500 again. Hurray!!

I'd say the only time to single out players in a presser, is to give them kudos.
If one (or more) of them had a great game - say it!!

Otherwise, do the coach thing, and take the blame yourself for any negatives.
Because, at the end of the day, it is on you anyway.

And yes, IF we don't win the next game or 2, then it should be all about getting guys run, and seeing what we have for next season.

But you know how Boeheim do.
So I doubt we will be seeing that. Sigh.
The one way I think you could say something negative about the player is if you couch it in an ongoing coaching conversation with the plan to improve.

"It was a great to come away with a win, but we talked after the game about how his rebounding needs to be better, and that's something to focus on."

"It's a tough loss, and in the locker room we acknowledged that we didn't start the game with the defensive intensity we needed, and he said that was something he would make sure happen in the next game."

"You never play perfect basketball, but he knows he took some shots that were pretty quick and put us in a bad time. So we've talked about being smart about what's a good look, and I expect that next game we'll keep working on."

But unless the quotes we see are really chopped off, I don't get the sense this is how JB frames these kinds of things.

Yeah the status quo is working.
Either adapt or retire.
I didn't say that. I was just answering your question. Nothing is going to happen and it will be a moot point in two years.

The ND game he seemed excited during the comeback and gave that windmill fist pump at the buzzer, thats about the only time he hasnt looked our sounded miserable this year to me.
Pardon the cynicism I've developed this season, but how much of JB's fist bump/excitement was b/c Buddy finally had his "big game" that JB played him mega-minutes waiting for?

What other player's drive to the hoop would JB lean so far over in his chair to end up on the floor?

Again, please pardon my cynicism -just where this season has led my train of thought.

Is he though? His comments about Jalen Johnson and Duke are just gross. Responding about Bilas by saying "I know more than Jay" is just awful. Why say this crap? Jim is selfish. He still coaching at 76 because it's what HE wants to do, not what's best for the program. HE wants to coach his son so he's just gonna keep on doing what he wants. Selfish.
Everything you pointed out are flaws which I said we all have. At his core he is a good man with a good heart.

A) He’s right
B) Lol

Everything you pointed out are flaws which I said we all have. At his core he is a good man with a good heart.
And he's not a quitter. He didn't quit with the two probations. He didn't quit with the Bernie Fine mess. He didn't quit when his life could have taken a left turn when unfortunately he was involved in a tragic accident. He's hung on all these years to coach his son(s). It's amazing he's still doing it at 76 with a .500+ team. That's what these guys do. Look at Leonard Hamilton. He is finally getting to the next level and he is getting up there in age. Look at Pitino. He went overseas and now is coaching a mid major who's team is pausing for like the 10th time. But they all want the golden ring.

I think at this point we need a clean break from JB and his coaching tree. I don't want anyone on the current staff or HOP to come back and take over. The program needs a major change in philosophy on both the defense and offense side of the ball. I realize and most realize that the transition might be rough but we need new eyes and fresh ideas injected into this program. Hop or Red is status quo I think we need a major shake-up to modernize this program again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom