Sometimes being an idealist is what is needed. Future | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sometimes being an idealist is what is needed. Future

It sucks to be a realist when you look at situations.

If there was reason to feel the direction of the program could trend back up I would be defending the wall.
I get negativity sucks. Rick Pitino said it well in press conference while coaching the Celtics 20 years ago.

The people pounding have legitimate points. There is a little reason in my opinion to think things will be much different next season.

So my question is do fans frustrated have to just shut up and ride the next 2 years or what can cause the clamoring for change within how things are done to occur?
Some points are a bit more legitmate than others, but I won't get into that here. I think the state of the program is certainly a reflection of talent. This year's team is really lacking from that perspective.Looking at recruiting rankings it is likely one of the two or three weakest in Boeheim's tenure. Certainly many reasons for this. Highly regarded players that did not pan out; early departures, misses on the recruiting trail. Still, it's a team that's 13-7; 7-6. Not exacly a disaster by most program's standards.

Looking at next season, the only rational reason for optimism is hope that we can solve the donut problem and fill the hole in the middle. Probably would need to be a grad transfer, but maybe Anselem can start to live up to his press clippings when he was still in the Class of 21.

I think Boeheim's legacy will be cemented by the 2022-23 season. He needs to close the deal with some of the high level recruits that we are reportedly heavily involved with and hand his successor a roster with the talent to compete at high levels in the ACC. If he fails, the epitaph will be that he stayed on too long. If he succeeds, I think we can look forward to a successful transition and return to the prominence that we have been accustomed to over the past 45 years.

Last edited:
I guessing that when JB steps down he'll do it like Dean Smith did at UNC. He'll step down just before the start of the season so that one of his staff will have to get the gig, at least on an interim basis. If they have a winning season it's hard not to give them the job with an extension going forward.

Just wait till Dior comes and everything will be smooth like silky butter.

Oh wait...

A) He’s right
B) Lol
Things can be right, but don't need to be said. As a man that has been married for over a decade...I can ASSURE you there are plenty of times you need to just keep your mouth shut.
Kidding aside, why say this? What's the point? Nobody cares if Jim is smarter than Jay Bilas. It nets Jim nothing and people remember snide and snarky comments like this.

Counting myself among the frustrated fans, I don't think we have to just shut up. I think we can continue to point out the (realistic) changes needed to be more successful within JB's system that obviously isn't going to change at this point. i.e.:
- actual (longer, quicker, energized) personnel to make his 2-3 zone effective
- an actual center and an actual backup center who he's actually willing to play
- better recruiting and/or transfer acquisitions
- playing the best players the most minutes

I really think you are being Capt. Obvious with these requirements. I think everyone know these are needed, including JB. Knowing and being able to do them are different things (with the exception of playing time, which he defends based on what he says he sees in practice).

Can’t say anything critical or Day2 will come at you. So I am going to say nothing about this.
wait - you care what Day2 has to say?

My thought process is this: Is this what we are? We got a bit lucky a couple of times in the last few years but it has not been much to look at for a while. If Malachi doesn't go on a white hot roll, that is another sub par year. This is not the program I grew up with since JB started coaching. I do think the things we are lacking are things that JB is supposed to be controlling. If he is, it's not good.

My thought process is this: Is this what we are? We got a bit lucky a couple of times in the last few years but it has not been much to look at for a while. If Malachi doesn't go on a white hot roll, that is another sub par year. This is not the program I grew up with since JB started coaching. I do think the things we are lacking are things that JB is supposed to be controlling. If he is, it's not good.

If Mali doesn’t get hot, we still made it to the elite 8.

people doing the “but actually” to that season are doing the argument a disservice. That was a good team who had a great run in Atlantis, won at Duke, and had a great tourney run. not a subpar year at all.

there’s plenty other years after that to point to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom