Somewhere on the first Syracusefan.com forum... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Somewhere on the first Syracusefan.com forum...

AOL email domains are likely safe for everyone. They are now managed under Spectrum.

AOL email domains are likely safe for everyone. They are now managed under Spectrum.
Wrestling Reaction GIF by WWE

I found this place around 1995, I think. It was through the AOL boards. And other than a brief hiatus around ten years ago, have been here ever since. And yes, I still have an old AOL address I don’t use.

Wasn't getting an aol email address a hipster thing a few years back?

Wow, you guys really were hardcore. I wouldn't have had the patience to deal with dial up internet had I known a board existed back then. I never looked for one until I moved away from CNY and missed the SU related interaction I had back home.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys really were hardcore. I wouldn't have had the patience to deal with dial up internet had I known a board existed back then. I never looked for one until I moved away from CNY and needed missed the SU related interaction I had back home.
It wasn’t just the dial-up. Back then, if you wanted to respond to a post you had to create a punch card and feed it into the reader.

It wasn’t just the dial-up. Back then, if you wanted to respond to a post you had to create a punch card and feed it into the reader.
For those of you familiar with the winds in Oswego, it wasn't uncommon for someone to lose their entire stack of punch cards upon exiting the computer lab and cards blowing everywhere. Talk about something that would cause you to drink. Not that you needed an excuse in Oswego.

And AOL charged you for the card reader too. Sure, they gave you something like a 15% discount but big deal. Those things were enormous as well. Mine took up half of our dining room. My wife wasn’t too happy about that but I decorated it with SU decals. I guess that somehow made it worse, given that it kind of clashed with the rest of the decor.

As an aside, after reading Matt’s post about IthacaMatt’s cow, I’m convinced that would be an awesome name for a band. Maybe an Indy Rock band? Is that what they still call them? I don’t know. I had a milestone birthday yesterday and without going into a lot of detail, there are no longer any 6’s in my age. So yeah, IthacaMatt’s Cow; great name for a group. Or maybe a certain QB’s parent could re-emerge for the year using that name.

And AOL charged you for the card reader too. Sure, they gave you something like a 15% discount but big deal. Those things were enormous as well. Mine took up half of our dining room. My wife wasn’t too happy about that but I decorated it with SU decals. I guess that somehow made it worse, given that it kind of clashed with the rest of the decor.

As an aside, after reading Matt’s post about IthacaMatt’s cow, I’m convinced that would be an awesome name for a band. Maybe an Indy Rock band? Is that what they still call them? I don’t know. I had a milestone birthday yesterday and without going into a lot of detail, there are no longer any 6’s in my age. So yeah, IthacaMatt’s Cow; great name for a group. Or maybe a certain QB’s parent could re-emerge for the year using that name.
Happy Birthday Dick!!!! Many, many more.

Welcome to the septuagenarian's club!

is there a secret handshake and do I now have to start using phrases like “I’m the only one in my family not on The Facebook”?
You will start to ask yourself (aloud, unfortunately) "Where did all this medication come from?".

The requirement to learn how to program in FORTRAN limited the popularity of the board in the early days but to this day, CNY has the highest concentration of FORTRAN programmers in the western world.

Coding GIF by memecandy

Welcome to the septuagenarian's club!
I have to confess I turned 71 today. It’s a weird feeling.

BUT - I have a question for someone with “skills.“ I tried to use the link provided at the beginning of this thread to access the old Syracuse.com board. I had written a song the day before our championship game to the tune of “This is the Moment” from “Jekyll and Hyde.” I think I put it up on April 6. It was a damn fine song, if I do say so, but I never made a copy and I would sure like to have one.

What am I doing wrong? I try to click on another date but it stays right there on the original page. Maybe someone who is YOUNGER than me can help me out?

BUT - I have a question for someone with “skills.“ I tried to use the link provided at the beginning of this thread to access the old Syracuse.com board. I had written a song the day before our championship game to the tune of “This is the Moment” from “Jekyll and Hyde.” I think I put it up on April 6. It was a damn fine song, if I do say so, but I never made a copy and I would sure like to have one.

What am I doing wrong? I try to click on another date but it stays right there on the original page. Maybe someone who is YOUNGER than me can help me out?
That ‘Way Back’ web site archives a snapshot of what various web sites looked like on a sporadic basis. Maybe once every couple of months. The snapshot is only top level and it appears it only does a partial save of the pages it does save. It is very limited.

I am afraid it would be a minor miracle if a snapshot of the web site exists from the day you made that post. But if you want to check, see if there is a snapshot of the site on or just after the day your post was made.

Happy Birthday, bballbeadle!

1618783830968.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom