Sonny Hill/Baker League playoffs | Syracusefan.com

Sonny Hill/Baker League playoffs

For a while, Sonny Hill League was the best summer high school basketball league in the country -- before AAU and the sneaker companies took over. The best thing about it was all the top Philly ballers getting to play each other. It wasn't just showcase ball either. Kids in that league learned to play hard and play the right way.

Bobby, did you play the high school version or Baker League only? Who were the best guys you faced in summer league? If Hill League, I'm guessing you might have played against Pooh Richardson and Brian Shorter. Maybe Dallas Comegys? I know you played with "L-Train" Simmons at South Philly!

For a while, Sonny Hill League was the best summer high school basketball league in the country -- before AAU and the sneaker companies took over. The best thing about it was all the top Philly ballers getting to play each other. It wasn't just showcase ball either. Kids in that league learned to play hard and play the right way.

Bobby, did you play the high school version or Baker League only? Who were the best guys you faced in summer league? If Hill League, I'm guessing you might have played against Pooh Richardson and Brian Shorter. Maybe Dallas Comegys? I know you played with "L-Train" Simmons at South Philly!
I played from the 10th grade to the Baker League. Played for South Philly & Baker League teams under Tee Shields and Claude Gross. The college league as well. We won two chips in the HS league and 4 Baker League chips. Always played with the LaSalle guys on our Baker league teams but also had other Sixers like Ric Mahorn, Ron Anderson and Marc Davis. Snoop Graham, Dallas Comegys, Horace Owens to name a few. Played against Pooh Richardson, Nate Blackwell, Tim Perry, Ed Pinckney, Willie Glass, Eddie Jones, Aaron McKie and the Sixers with AI and Stackhouse. Most of the Big 5 players played in the league making up the nucleus of a few teams.

Thanks for the reply, Bobby. That's a lot of top competition and great experiences you've had. One more question... I saw you play at the Dome in November 1988 with LaSalle. It was cool for me because I was in high school with your teammate Craig Conlan (although we didn't really know each other). There had to be 25k fans that night. I'm sure you looked at a tons of factors during BJ's recruitment. But did your taste of the Dome atmosphere make an impression on you during your thought process?

Thanks for the reply, Bobby. That's a lot of top competition and great experiences you've had. One more question... I saw you play at the Dome in November 1988 with LaSalle. It was cool for me because I was in high school with your teammate Craig Conlan (although we didn't really know each other). There had to be 25k fans that night. I'm sure you looked at a tons of factors during BJ's recruitment. But did your taste of the Dome atmosphere make an impression on you during your thought process?
I was always in some ways a Cuse fan because of watching them in the Big East and all. Great league and talent all around. I always thought it was like playing outside because it was so huge. It was definitely one of larger crowds that we played in front of, the others being the Omni, Dean dome, Brigham young, super dome. By the way, we lost by about 20, I made 2 of 8 shots. Found out the night before the game that I was going to come off the bench which pissed me off. As for BJ, it really wasn’t such a huge factor because we already new of the dome atmosphere and the supportive fanbase. The Philly line of players Scoop and Dion are my young bucks from SP and I had known Skinny and Roc. He always liked the Cuse since a little guy so it was like a dream come true in some respect that he attended there.

I remembered you had a tough night at the Carrier Dome but didn't want to mention it! It may have been disappointing not to start, but you sure made your point averaging 12 points off the bench that year. I looked up that you also shot 42% on 129 three-point attempts. BJ got his stroke from lots of hard work and practice, but he also had the genes. That's for sure. Everyone at SU is appreciates what BJ did for us, is happy for his success at LaSalle, and proud that he's a pro. Once Orange, always Orange.

I remembered you had a tough night at the Carrier Dome but didn't want to mention it! It may have been disappointing not to start, but you sure made your point averaging 12 points off the bench that year. I looked up that you also shot 42% on 129 three-point attempts. BJ got his stroke from lots of hard work and practice, but he also had the genes. That's for sure. Everyone at SU is appreciates what BJ did for us, is happy for his success at LaSalle, and proud that he's a pro. Once Orange, always Orange.
Yep that about sums it up to a T. A lot of people were met during those times at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom