Sorry, have to say it. | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, have to say it.

Yep and what drives me the craziest are all those tools who call themselves Duke fans even though they have absolutely no tie to Duke. Most of them are from CNY and have never been to the state of North Carolina.

Yep and what drives me the craziest are all those tools who call themselves Duke fans even though they have absolutely no tie to Duke. Most of them are from CNY and have never been to the state of North Carolina.

My MIL’s boss. Ugh.

Look forward to QG's next opportunity vs Duke.
Refs swallowed their whistles a few times on plays he got hammered.
He also had an emotional reaction after fouling out.
QG played well, and expect he will be even more fired up for next game vs Duke.

Like fans that root for the NJ Giants. ;)

Look forward to QG's next opportunity vs Duke.
Refs swallowed their whistles a few times on plays he got hammered.
He also had an emotional reaction after fouling out.
QG played well, and expect he will be even more fired up for next game vs Duke.
It's tough to find fault with the officiating in tonight's game. Sure, they missed some calls, but on both sides, and we had about 40 FTs.

Who cares who other people root for? Seriously...to each their own. And you need a tie to Duke to root for them?! I’m sure SU has plenty of fans with no ties to the city or university as well...in fact we have celebrity fans with no ties. Guys we are better than this.

Who cares who other people root for? Seriously...to each their own. And you need a tie to Duke to root for them?! I’m sure SU has plenty of fans with no ties to the city or university as well...in fact we have celebrity fans with no ties. Guys we are better than this.

I take it you’re a Cowboys and Lakers fan...jk

I've never understood this notion that where you live must coincide with who you root for, college or pro. I have no problem with local Duke/UNC hoops or ND/B1G/SEC football fans as long as they're consistent & remain loyal to their team through thick & thin.

What annoys me is when they come back & bandwagon SU when we're successful because "it's my local team". Simply put, if you wear Duke/UNC gear in the Dome, ND gear at MetLife/Yankee Stadium, or any opponent's gear when they play SU, you've officially & forever turned in your 'Cuse fandom card.

Edit: My litmus test for UNC fans is asking them who their coach was before Roy Williams. If you're my age (31) or older & know nothing of the Doherty years but will endlessly reference Jordan, VC, Antwan Jamieson, & Ed Cota...just stop.

Last edited:
I don’t mind fans who are out of the area rooting for a school. I can’t judge, I live in Pennsylvania and didn’t go to Syracuse. Yet their my team in ALL sports.

But my biggest sports pet peeve is folks who like different schools for different sports. If Duke basketball fans rooted for Duke football, I would respect that. But these fans who are Duke basketball, Ohio State/Alabama football fans (or some other top tier football program) I have no patience for.

End rant.

I don’t mind fans who are out of the area rooting for a school. I can’t judge, I live in Pennsylvania and didn’t go to Syracuse. Yet their my team in ALL sports.

But my biggest sports pet peeve is folks who like different schools for different sports. If Duke basketball fans rooted for Duke football, I would respect that. But these fans who are Duke basketball, Ohio State/Alabama football fans (or some other top tier football program) I have no patience for.

End rant.

The typical Northeast bandwagon fandom teams are:

Duke - college hoops
ND - college football
Dallas (old school) or Patriots (new) - football.
Yankees (old school) or Red Sox (new) - baseball
Celtics or Lakers (old school) or Warriors (new) - pro hoops.

Casual/bandwagon fans only follow teams that generally are winning a lot, right now.

I've never understood this notion that where you live must coincide with who you root for, college or pro. I have no problem with local Duke/UNC hoops or ND/B1G/SEC football fans as long as they're consistent & remain loyal to their team through thick & thin.

What annoys me is when they come back & bandwagon SU when we're successful because "it's my local team". Simply put, if you wear Duke/UNC gear in the Dome, ND gear at MetLife/Yankee Stadium, or any opponent's gear when they play SU, you've officially & forever turned in your 'Cuse fandom card.

Edit: My litmus test for UNC fans is asking them who their coach was before Roy Williams. If you're my age (31) or older & know nothing of the Doherty years but will endlessly reference Jordan, VC, Antwan Jamieson, & Ed Cota...just stop.
allright smart guy, who was the coach before JB...just kidding, i have no idea.

End rant.
Why? If they have no tie to the school or area, why must they be required to root for them in both sports? TV coverage has obviously evolved but imagine someone growing up watching & falling in love with Duke hoops in the '90s-early'00s like so many have. They would’ve never seen Duke football on TV during that time.

I don’t mind it. I mean, I don’t like when the team loses, but there are worse teams to lose to than Duke.

It’s the “front runner syndrome”
Most upstaters that root for Duke suffer from it.
Symptoms include abrasive smugness , and snobbery.

Why? If they have no tie to the school or area, why must they be required to root for them in both sports? TV coverage has obviously evolved but imagine someone growing up watching & falling in love with Duke hoops in the '90s-early'00s like so many have. They would’ve never seen Duke football on TV during that time.

I was just giving my opinion. It’s a pet peeve of mine. Choosing to root for the best teams in each individual sport is stupid to me. You don’t have to agree with it.

I’m sure you have pet peeves that I would think are stupid.

People come in every conceivable flavor. 1 in 3 is a mouthbreather. 1 in 9 a total dbag. 1 in 100 has a pulse. 1 in 1,000 is a gold star. 1 in 100,000,000 is a unicorn.

Why would fandom be any different?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom