Sorry, have to say it. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sorry, have to say it.

The typical Northeast bandwagon fandom teams are:

Duke - college hoops
ND - college football
Dallas (old school) or Patriots (new) - football.
Yankees (old school) or Red Sox (new) - baseball
Celtics or Lakers (old school) or Warriors (new) - pro hoops.

Casual/bandwagon fans only follow teams that generally are winning a lot, right now.

There’s a weird number of Alabama football fans in Upstate now. I’d say ND was “old”, Bama is “new”.

I never saw any Bama fans when they were just a regular good-great program. Last 10 years...now we got “Bama fans” up here. Clowns.

Yep and what drives me the craziest are all those tools who call themselves Duke fans even though they have absolutely no tie to Duke. Most of them are from CNY and have never been to the state of North Carolina.
How’s that any different from ‘Yankees fans?’ People just try to ‘buy into’ success... Don’t let it get you down... We used to recruit almost incidentally out of California, because we were successful and a big name on Big Mondays. Worked for us, too.

I would say these people are glory hunters. As soon as the team isn't good anymore they're no longer fans, move onto the next shiny object. I cant call people who latch onto winners actual fans, a real fan sticks with his/her team. I grew up in Bville... live in Charlotte NC now but boy do I dislike Duke and NC. I went to High school (In bville) with a kid that had no ties to Duke but was a big Duke "fan." What an annoying pos. Trash talked SU and Boeheim constantly

I live in Florida and worked with a real southern woman who rooted for Alabama in football and Kentucky in football. I asked her she didn't root for Alabama in basketball or Kentucky in football to align the schools. She said they weren't winners in those sports. I called her a fraud and not a fan. I don't think anybody ever called her out like that. I think I gave her a complex and I'm glad I did. She was always defensive with me after that , always explaining herself.

Last edited:
Fans make their allegiances and stick to it. How many fans would Duke lose if they became perennial bubble teams... my guess is there would be a lot more Kansas and Kentucky fans "randomly"

I can identify with several of the posts here being a Syracuse basketball fan since before JB and back to Ben Schwartzwalder on the football side. When I moved to North Carolina in early 2000s it was more difficult than it is now to be a Syracuse fan. But since joining the ACC, Syracuse is much more accepted in this area since we are all just "relocated Yankees". Living in the heart of the Research Triangle area, nearly all the folks are fans of either Duke, UNC or NC State. Wearing Syracuse gear is accepted now where prior to Syracuse joining the ACC it was very uncomfortable. I actually had to remove the Syracuse license plate holder before we joined the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom