Sorry no official preview but a few thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Sorry no official preview but a few thoughts

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
My apologies I had a preview ready for Bryant and then put one together for Marist but with limited film available besides the first round game I just didn't feel I had enough to go on to give a complete review. I do have a few thoughts looking at the best and worst case scenario for both teams.

For Syracuse here would be my biggest concerns and questions:
With the team clearly wanting to play Bryant whats there mindset going into this game? Will Syracuse come out flat and get down by a few goals like they have several times in the second half of the year? With Marist being pretty much an unknown will the Syracuse defense struggle in the first part of the game trying to feel them out offensively? Marist is led by their attack but they have several capable midfielders as well. Again with a balanced attack that likes to play an uptempo style could the Syracuse D struggle? Marist was not hesitant to shoot from the outside against Bryant, if Bobby Wardwell struggles to stop outside shots (his main weakness in goal) will coach Desko have to consider a change in goal?

Marist is likely to play a zone for large portions of the game like they did vs Bryant. Will Syracuse struggle if their attack is unable to find gaps and score close in goals? Will Syracuse get any outside shooting or scoring from Schoonmaker or Lecky? Schoonmaker has struggled mightily since his injury against UNC with zero goals and Lecky has continued his inconsistent play which has plagued him for most of his career. If both Schoonmaker and Lecky struggle again there will be immense pressure on Nicky Galasso to carry the mid field load. If Lecky and Schoonie struggle will John Desko run Barber on the first mid field line? If the team is struggling against the zone could Ryan Simmons who has shown the ability to shoot or Derek Dejoe gets some run on the midfield?

From the Marist side here would be my biggest concerns and questions:
Coming off an upset last year to Bryant its hard to see Syracuse looking past Marist despite the fact that they clearly wanted to play Bryant in a revenge game. Marist has had a very successful season and two of the three losses were by 1 goal including a 16-15 loss to Brown and an 8-9 loss to Penn State. That said despite the fact they haven't lost in a month and a half they haven't played a team anywhere near as good as Syracuse this season. The only high end offensive that they played (Brown) they gave up 16 goals. Can Marist keep Syracuse from scoring 12+ goals? If Syracuse comes out and ambushes the Red Foxes will they fold? With a relatively young defense can they match up with Rice, Donahue and Staats? How will Marist handle Ben Williams and a physical man to man defense? With Duke and UVA already being upset (not sure UVA losing is an upset) there seems to be little chance Syracuse isnt coming into the game with their eyes wide open.

I am looking to see if Syracuse comes out like a team on a mission and sends a statement early. Marist is likely to be in awe playing in the Dome on National tv in front of a big crowd. If this game is close late in the third I will absolutely be concerned.

My apologies I had a preview ready for Bryant and then put one together for Marist but with limited film available besides the first round game I just didn't feel I had enough to go on to give a complete review. I do have a few thoughts looking at the best and worst case scenario for both teams.

For Syracuse here would be my biggest concerns and questions:
With the team clearly wanting to play Bryant whats there mindset going into this game? Will Syracuse come out flat and get down by a few goals like they have several times in the second half of the year? With Marist being pretty much an unknown will the Syracuse defense struggle in the first part of the game trying to feel them out offensively? Marist is led by their attack but they have several capable midfielders as well. Again with a balanced attack that likes to play an uptempo style could the Syracuse D struggle? Marist was not hesitant to shoot from the outside against Bryant, if Bobby Wardwell struggles to stop outside shots (his main weakness in goal) will coach Desko have to consider a change in goal?

Marist is likely to play a zone for large portions of the game like they did vs Bryant. Will Syracuse struggle if their attack is unable to find gaps and score close in goals? Will Syracuse get any outside shooting or scoring from Schoonmaker or Lecky? Schoonmaker has struggled mightily since his injury against UNC with zero goals and Lecky has continued his inconsistent play which has plagued him for most of his career. If both Schoonmaker and Lecky struggle again there will be immense pressure on Nicky Galasso to carry the mid field load. If Lecky and Schoonie struggle will John Desko run Barber on the first mid field line? If the team is struggling against the zone could Ryan Simmons who has shown the ability to shoot or Derek Dejoe gets some run on the midfield?

From the Marist side here would be my biggest concerns and questions:
Coming off an upset last year to Bryant its hard to see Syracuse looking past Marist despite the fact that they clearly wanted to play Bryant in a revenge game. Marist has had a very successful season and two of the three losses were by 1 goal including a 16-15 loss to Brown and an 8-9 loss to Penn State. That said despite the fact they haven't lost in a month and a half they haven't played a team anywhere near as good as Syracuse this season. The only high end offensive that they played (Brown) they gave up 16 goals. Can Marist keep Syracuse from scoring 12+ goals? If Syracuse comes out and ambushes the Red Foxes will they fold? With a relatively young defense can they match up with Rice, Donahue and Staats? How will Marist handle Ben Williams and a physical man to man defense? With Duke and UVA already being upset (not sure UVA losing is an upset) there seems to be little chance Syracuse isnt coming into the game with their eyes wide open.

I am looking to see if Syracuse comes out like a team on a mission and sends a statement early. Marist is likely to be in awe playing in the Dome on National tv in front of a big crowd. If this game is close late in the third I will absolutely be concerned.
Thanks Jeremy. My thoughts exactly. ;)

Some additional questions for the Marist side:

After a very strong 1st quarter against Bryant, the Red Foxes faded in the second half and only scored three goals. With Syracuse historically being a second half team will they be able to play a full 60 minutes? When Syracuse goes on one of their patented 2-3 goal runs how will Marist respond? Does Marist have the depth to play with Syracuse if Desko tries to run them into the ground with 2nd and 2rd mid lines? Marist is also the #1 penalized team in the nation. A bad sign

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom