South Carolina clobbered Michigan today, 61-46 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

South Carolina clobbered Michigan today, 61-46

That awful Frank Martin is their coach. He has always struck me as abusive. Scary.

By the way, is it really true that our game will not be televised?
Frank-Martin-Crazy-Coach-Kansas--1.jpg

Not that worried about our non-conference resume this year. Monmouth will hopefully turn out to be a useful win too. We do have some teams that will be terrible RPI teams like SC St.
It shouldn't hurt us but compared to a lot of top teams our non conference schedule is pretty lean. Not being in a real tourney hurts our SOS, our perception and reputation. Fortunately we play a tough conference sked.

It shouldn't hurt us but compared to a lot of top teams our non conference schedule is pretty lean. Not being in a real tourney hurts our SOS, our perception and reputation. Fortunately we play a tough conference sked.

Like I said, I couldn't care less. We will get plenty of notice soon when we start putting a hurting on some very good teams.

By the way, is it really true that our game will not be televised?
More BS. I would have thought it would be on one of the ESPN networks, but they obviously are showing all the rivalry week football games. Broadcast on ESPN3 :mad: :mad:

Like I said, I couldn't care less. We will get plenty of notice soon when we start putting a hurting on some very good teams.
Yup, we just have to take care of business. My Iggy prediction was two out of conference losses. It could still happen, but I would be very disappointed. South Carolina has game and we will probably be underdogs at Wisconsin. Coaches need to do a good job to keep everyone focused and not allow the team to suffer any embarrassing losses to any of our old Big East teams.

Here's a recap of the game. Saturday is no gimme for us.

Michigan vs. South Carolina - Game Recap - November 23, 2016 - ESPN

After watching that game today, I think we're going to be A-ok. South Carolina isn't a great offensive team, and I think they'll struggle against our zone with short prep time.

They pound the boards, and we'll need to neutralize that to some extent. Many years, we suck at rebounding, and get smoked on the defensive boards [last year was one of those years, where that weakness could be greatly exploited]. The years we have our best teams, we move up to being average on the boards, generally because we have the personnel to rebound better than usual. This is one of those years--between Roberson, Lydon, Thompson, Coleman, and even White. Not saying that anybody will mistake us for Michigan State, but we have the personnel to be better on the glass than usual, and we need to be against quality opponents.

I also know that things will be a little bit different starting Saturday in terms of OUR offense. It is one thing to steamroll overmatched opponents--that's what we've done the first four games. It is a lot more challenging when the game is tighter, not as easy to bury shots when the game is close and the pressure's on. We also need to prove that we can work cohesively as an offensive unit when the going gets tough. I'm confident we'll rise to the challenge.

Lastly, Michigan--like seemingly EVERY B1G team at the top of that conference--was overrated. Every one of their traditional powers--MSU, Indiana, even Wisconsin feels over ranked right now. I think tonight's performance showed as much that Michigan isn't nearly as good as projected as it was a function of USC's great defense.

Glad we're getting a taste of not playing at home, even though this will be a de facto home game for us. Good prep for what's to come Tuesday. But first things first--I think we handle South Carolina on Saturday.

One more thing to add: rock fight teams like South Carolina always look better when playing opponents who struggle to score [like Michigan did tonight, and like we have the better part of the last three seasons]. They make the game ugly and the scrum plays to their advantage, and can help to neutralize a talent differential.

I'm not saying that we're going to roll offensively like we have, but our ability to make baskets, connect from three, etc. is better than its been in a long time. South Carolina might hang with us for awhile, but I think we'll pull away and win easily unless we go into the tank offensively. And there's no reason to think that will be the case. We score easily this year, and multiple guys can put the ball in the basket. We'll get it done Saturday.

One more thing to add: rock fight teams like South Carolina always look better when playing opponents who struggle to score [like Michigan did tonight, and like we have the better part of the last three seasons]. They make the game ugly and the scrum plays to their advantage, and can help to neutralize a talent differential.

I'm not saying that we're going to roll offensively like we have, but our ability to make baskets, connect from three, etc. is better than its been in a long time. South Carolina might hang with us for awhile, but I think we'll pull away and win easily unless we go into the tank offensively. And there's no reason to think that will be the case. We score easily this year, and multiple guys can put the ball in the basket. We'll get it done Saturday.

UM has little depth but they have some good scorers: Irvin, Walton Jr, etc. I wonder if USC had something to do with UM's struggles, I get that you think Michigan is overrated but USC made them look AWFUL and Michigan isn't awful. They are well-coached and will be a borderline NCAA team this year and probably in the field.

UM has little depth but they have some good scorers: Irvin, Walton Jr, etc. I wonder if USC had something to do with UM's struggles, I get that you think Michigan is overrated but USC made them look AWFUL and Michigan isn't awful. They are well-coached and will be a borderline NCAA team this year and probably in the field.
They aren't awful, and SC played good defense, but Mich was awful tonight without any help - a whole bunch of those 24 missed 3s were wide open looks that they just bricked and they had a ton of lazy unforced TOs as well

Thornwell is an automatic double-double. Has great inside moves and can hit the 3. Not a great, or even good, passing team. SC has at least played a decent team. We have not. This game and the game at Wisconsin will show us how good we are. Remember how Wisconsin obliterated us on the boards last year? 51-25. And all their players are back. Coleman barely played in that game and SU certainly played below par. This also will be our first true away game.

SC 61 Michigan 46...Missagain can't shoot!

That's the thing: UM has a few great shooters. Duncan Robinson was one of the best shooters in the country last year. Guess it was just an awful day but JB mentioned in his radio show that USC is solid defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom