Southerland (sigh) | Syracusefan.com

Southerland (sigh)

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Can we ever depend on James Southerland as a consistent force, or does he only play like an AA against the Colgate's of the world?
He came in & promptly disappeared...again.

A marginally effective JS givs us another dimension.
I wish he'd develop the confidence in his game to be more consistent!:bang:

He hardly played today... It's hard to make an impact when you sit on the bench. I think JB saw that KJ had hot hand, so JS was not needed. He really should had made that wide open 3 hit took though. His only shot of the game... I mean he was WIDE open. I think he will play 10-15 minutes a game in Big East play, but no more than that. He'll still be important spark off the bench. He is a streaky shooter, so day's he's on watch out!

He could be the top player in, say, America East...but doesn't seem to have the game to be a consistent contributor in the Big East. Although I will admit through four games I thought he'd have a breakout year and shouldn't throw in the towel on that after one rough outing.

He's like Jeff George. He'll always get another chance.

He's always great in the preseason.

Not so great against teams that punch back.

Was a key factor in us beating GTown on the road last iirc. Don't give up on the kid just yet.

He's always great in the preseason.

Not so great against teams that punch back.

Ya, cuz 5 mins of action really give him lotta opportunity to shine. 1 wrong play - that's it, no more playing time for you. Way to build confidence in him

Scoop on the other hand just has no biz playing more than to give DW a blow

yawn... he barely got a chance today get over it.
Actually, you saw the lineup today.

As much as I want to see the ten deep, full speed, crazy pace, top chemistry style of play... That's not what this season is likely to be. Happy to be wrong.

44cusr

Can we ever depend on James Southerland as a consistent force, or does he only play like an AA against the Colgate's of the world?

I think it's a matter of combinations. If both KJ and Rak have to be removed, then James will see time. If Rak has to be removed, and I think that will be the case a lot this year, then CJ and KJ give us our best frontcourt combination. Truthfully, CJ is better than Rak in every way except against the big physical forwards. I had expected him to start this season although JB might never do that.

If KJ has to rest...yeah, like JB is going to do much of that this year and who can blame him...then CJ plays the 3

So it's combinations. I think we lose some offensively if James isn't in the rotation but CJ and KJ give us the better overall game. Come BE time, I worry about just how much Christmas will really be able to give us and wish we had another true 4 on the upperclassman roster.

Its a matter of match ups too. James is very good against zones. He moves to the open spot well and is a good stand still shooter. V Tech was playing a lot of pressure man to man, Joseph and Fair were the better options. CJ is a better rebounder and doesn't need plays run for him. Nice to see Fair hit another three, if he can be consistent he and Waiters are as good or better than the starters.

Southerland will replace KJo or Fair. Which one would you have sat last night? The guy with 20 and 10 or the guy with the quietest double double I've ever seen? Exactly.

I'm not giving up on Southerland. I think he didn't get any run in the second half for the same reason scoop didn't. The lineup on the floor was playing so well, JB didn't want to mess with it.

The bottom line with James is that he is not a scrapper. He lacks toughness. Additionally, he is black or white in his skillset. He does some things, such as shoot, really well. He is weak in other areas such as handling.

He is also not a particularly smart player. What I mean by that, is that some guys can adjust and adapt. For example, Kris can stay outside if you take away his inside game and vice versa. CJ somehow always seems to find his spots. With James, either his skills are working or not. There is no secondary dimension to his game. So maybe saying he is not smart is an improper statement as opposed to saying he is not multi-dimensional. However, truly good players will find something that works even when part of their game is taken away or simply are not effective in a given game. With James, it just never seems like he adapts, be that as it may from lack of a broad enough skillset or from an inability to mentally adjust to what is available.

Regardless, I think James will have his moments when he gets hot and the team needs exactly what he is capable of delivering.

The problem is that unless he becomes a reliable player instead of a hot & cold streaky player, that barring injury, he will remain on the fringe of the rotation and not be an integral part of that rotation.

Jimmy almost always will play the guys that he trusts.

Frankly this was a bad game for him to make an impact ... VT took the air out of the ball and forced SU to play more in the half court ... he is better suited when the game is played at a faster pace ... get out in the lanes on the break or spot up from the wing and just fire away without thinking about it. He will get a lot more run in uptempo games.

As Dsyr440 said, Kris and CJ (the two best forwards on the team) really brought it in the 2nd half, Boeheim rode the hot hands. Southerland will be heard from again, and he will also have more games like this one where we don't see much of him.

half this board had him getting run in the NBA a few days ago...

I can't think of any NBA player of Southerland's physical stature that can't take someone off the dribble. As a 2 or 3 in the NBA he'd be swallowed whole.

Actually, you saw the lineup today.

As much as I want to see the ten deep, full speed, crazy pace, top chemistry style of play... That's not what this season is likely to be. Happy to be wrong.

44cusr

Oh i agree in that sense, we wont play 10 deep every game, but i think it'll be a lot of jimmy b getting them all some time early and feeling out where everyone is at. But James will be number 8 in minutes on the team probably.

I didn't mean to sound negative. Hope you didn't take it that way.

I'd live to see the up-tempo full throttle run people out of the gym with subs model this year. Just hard to see JB going there. But if there was ever a year...

44cuse

As someone in the chat said last night, James is not yet ready for prime time. He still stiffens up when the bright lights are on. He has to learn to relax and let the game come to him. When he gets on the floor he should concentrate on playing balls out defense and rebounding. That will keep him on the floor. The offense will come. As a matter of fact, he should get a ton of open looks with guys like Dion, Triche and CJ attacking the basket. He can pull a Kyle Kuric and just roam the arc.

Once he shakes off the 'deer in headlights' thing, he'll be fine. The question is, how long will that take?

I can't think of any NBA player of Southerland's physical stature that can't take someone off the dribble. As a 2 or 3 in the NBA he'd be swallowed whole.

There is still a lot of time for his game to develop. Even if he only manages to become a more consistent shooter, he would at least get a sniff. Dead eye shooters at 6'8" who also have tremendous physical tools are commodities in the NBA, even without many other skills. If he can play effective defense and hit threes, somebody will pay him to play the same role he is going to be playing for us this season.

Southerland's not the guy to wonder about what you'll get in the way of contributions. The freshmen are.

We need Xmas against teams with physical fours this year. Against the Uconn and Kentuckys IMO.

The big difference is Fair always made a difference last year, Southerland had to play himself into games because of the lack of rebounding and physicality in the paint on both ends of the floor. This year he might show more of that.

Fair he just puts it all together from the getgo. He sit backs and waits to see what he has to do other then rebound to win games.

On the other hand Southerland plays himself into games or never gets in them. Thats his problem.
Hes got to just come out and be in the game. I don't know what it will take to do so. Maybe some SG with KJO and Fair. Maybe some leadership courses.
Fair is already a leader this year. Hes compensating for what the team needs.

Agree with Grotto. But we will have no choice but to play Xmas against some bigger more physical fours unless we go with Keita at the four. MCW's is a gear away from becoming elite. And a third gear away with leadership and efficiency from becoming Total Stud.

We need Xmas against teams with physical fours this year. Against the Uconn and Kentuckys IMO.

The big difference is Fair always made a difference last year, Southerland had to play himself into games because of the lack of rebounding and physicality in the paint on both ends of the floor. This year he might show more of that.

Fair he just puts it all together from the getgo. He sit backs and waits to see what he has to do other then rebound to win games.

On the other hand Southerland plays himself into games or never gets in them. Thats his problem.
Hes got to just come out and be in the game. I don't know what it will take to do so. Maybe some SG with KJO and Fair. Maybe some leadership courses.
Fair is already a leader this year. Hes compensating for what the team needs.

Agree with Grotto. But we will have no choice but to play Xmas against some bigger more physical fours unless we go with Keita at the four. MCW's is a gear away from becoming elite. And a third gear away with leadership and efficiency from becoming Total Stud.

Wait ... total stud is great than elite? When did that happen? I always thought it went:

- Total Scrub
- Scrub
- Spot Starter
- Starter
- Total Stud
- Elite

Someone needs to inform me of changes in the rankings or I get lost ...