Spahn and Sain and Pray for Rain..... | Syracusefan.com

Spahn and Sain and Pray for Rain.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
As a fan, one of the things that i enjoy in college basketball is when a coach makes a successful adjustment.

Many have said how difficult it is to watch our frustrating O. It is equally difficult to watch our never changing D.

We see the same old o game in and game out. I understand with no PG and no C that our options are limited, but still, there is a lack of ball movement. We never seem to at the very least rotate our high post players (maybe between Marek, Ty, and Oshae) to at least give the opposing D something to think about. Yesterday, Elijah was off, did we see any plays run to try and get him going ? Instead the answer was just to bench him after two misses. Maybe he could have gone to the high post for an easy 16 foot j off of an entry pass or else maybe a drive to try and get to the line.

On D, what is an adjustment ? For example, yesterday when Reed and Thomas got hot, why not immediate double teams whenever either one got the ball ? Make somebody else beat us other than the hot hand. We always seem to let the hot hand stay hot.

Our O is reduced to hoping the same old shots suddenly go in. our d is reduced to hoping their same old shots suddenly stop going in.

jimmy is a good, maybe even a great coach, in terms of laying down basic concepts, but man, when the plan stops working so does he.

As a fan, one of the things that i enjoy in college basketball is when a coach makes a successful adjustment.

Many have said how difficult it is to watch our frustrating O. It is equally difficult to watch our never changing D.

We see the same old o game in and game out. I understand with no PG and no C that our options are limited, but still, there is a lack of ball movement. We never seem to at the very least rotate our high post players (maybe between Marek, Ty, and Oshae) to at least give the opposing D something to think about. Yesterday, Elijah was off, did we see any plays run to try and get him going ? Instead the answer was just to bench him after two misses. Maybe he could have gone to the high post for an easy 16 foot j off of an entry pass or else maybe a drive to try and get to the line.

On D, what is an adjustment ? For example, yesterday when Reed and Thomas got hot, why not immediate double teams whenever either one got the ball ? Make somebody else beat us other than the hot hand. We always seem to let the hot hand stay hot.

Our O is reduced to hoping the same old shots suddenly go in. our d is reduced to hoping their same old shots suddenly stop going in.

jimmy is a good, maybe even a great coach, in terms of laying down basic concepts, but man, when the plan stops working so does he.

Agree with your comments about Hughes and not getting him shots. He only played 10 minutes but it's frustrating to me that we can't get a shooter like him more than 2 shots in that time and at least one of those shots was a no chancer with the shot clock winding down.

I've often wondered how much time the staff puts into skill development during practice.

It does seem as if we don't adjust at all during games. We have great game plans that work in the fist half, but when other teams adjust we just don't adjust back (or the players don't execute). Been a bugaboo all year long. The players, once they get into a funk rarely break out of it, and it becomes a team funk. When I played ball, and if anyone on the team was in a funk offensively, we tried to dig in deeper on D, or move off the ball, get into the game some other way. When guys shots aren't falling they sulk and don't run the offense like it needs to be run. The few plays where we have crisp ball movement and get open shots, 'bingo, bango, bongo', that's what our offense is supposed to be. So is it coaching? players not executing? Players that aren't in shape? not focused? no pride? Honestly I wonder... I often muse that sometimes it would be nice to have Dino come in at halftime and pump these guys up, just get them focused for the second half. Could work wonders for our team psyche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom