Spain-Nigeria Thread | Syracusefan.com

Spain-Nigeria Thread

T

tee1222

Might not mean as much to Spain, but Nigeria should come out hungry as they desperately need this upset.

Spain up 1 nil. Just about wraps up Nigeria's chances as Uruguay is up big against Tahiti.
Everyone is up big against Tahiti.
:)

actually didnt catch this today .. looking forward to a spain- brazil showdown.. and i have little doubt that spain handily wins it.

actually didnt catch this today .. looking forward to a spain- brazil showdown.. and i have little doubt that spain handily wins it.

And since I can't stand Brazil, Spain can't score enough. ;)

Ever since Tab Ramos received a cheap shot back in 1994, I've been both awed and pissed at the way Brazil plays. They are uber talented and a joy to watch at their best. At their worst, they are floppers and cheap shot artists. Even their women's team is a joke in that department. The 2011 Women's World Cup game against the US is a testament to that. Marta flops for a penalty kick and they fake injuries trying to burn clock at the end. Our eventual victory was poetic justice.

And since I can't stand Brazil, Spain can't score enough. ;)

Ever since Tab Ramos received a cheap shot back in 1994, I've been both awed and pissed at the way Brazil plays. They are uber talented and a joy to watch at their best. At their worst, they are floppers and cheap shot artists. Even their women's team is a joke in that department. The 2011 Women's World Cup game against the US is a testament to that. Marta flops for a penalty kick and they fake injuries trying to burn clock at the end. Our eventual victory was poetic justice.

I too hate how the Brazilians now flop at the slightest touch. Spain does this a little too much for my taste as well. I vaguely remember the Tab Ramos incident ( been playing the game all my life but was only 11 at the time). Loved the win by the women's team last year after the crap from Marta.

On the flip side.. is it me or does it really seem like for the first time, the US men have really closed the gap between them and the rest of the world? I know they didn't get the result vs Belgium.. but for a change it seems like we have caught up a bit. Watching the confederations cup , the euro last year etc other than spain - I don't see the huge delta there used to be. Brazil has playmakers yes but I honestly only fear the full German squad or the full spanish side. Maybe through Argentina in there as well considering any squad with Messi...

Aside from that anything can happen. Maybe its the attacking style of play, but it seems like we finally have a squad that can get some major respect in 2014.

I too hate how the Brazilians now flop at the slightest touch. Spain does this a little too much for my taste as well. I vaguely remember the Tab Ramos incident ( been playing the game all my life but was only 11 at the time). Loved the win by the women's team last year after the crap from Marta.

On the flip side.. is it me or does it really seem like for the first time, the US men have really closed the gap between them and the rest of the world? I know they didn't get the result vs Belgium.. but for a change it seems like we have caught up a bit. Watching the confederations cup , the euro last year etc other than spain - I don't see the huge delta there used to be. Brazil has playmakers yes but I honestly only fear the full German squad or the full spanish side. Maybe through Argentina in there as well considering any squad with Messi...

Aside from that anything can happen. Maybe its the attacking style of play, but it seems like we finally have a squad that can get some major respect in 2014.

The problem with the US is depth and experience and getting all the right pieces together and playing at the same time. We are one team that cannot afford injuries and guys not playing for one reason or another. We played insanely well in the last Confederations Cup only to lose Charlie Davies to a horrible car accident. He was coming on like gangbusters and would have been a tremendous asset at the World Cup. Instead he spends two years in rehab and has never been the same. We always seem to lose guys at the wrong times. Claudio Reyna was always hurt before big games or tournaments.

If Altidore keeps playing like he is, Donovan comes back, everyone stays healthy, and Klinsman finds a solid back four, there is no question we can make a run. But we still have a long way to go.

The problem with the US is depth and experience and getting all the right pieces together and playing at the same time. We are one team that cannot afford injuries and guys not playing for one reason or another. We played insanely well in the last Confederations Cup only to lose Charlie Davies to a horrible car accident. He was coming on like gangbusters and would have been a tremendous asset at the World Cup. Instead he spends two years in rehab and has never been the same. We always seem to lose guys at the wrong times. Claudio Reyna was always hurt before big games or tournaments.

If Altidore keeps playing like he is, Donovan comes back, everyone stays healthy, and Klinsman finds a solid back four, there is no question we can make a run. But we still have a long way to go.

so true about the bad luck.. a lot like our boys hoops luck at times.. as for depth.. i think we are still thin but getting better. Having zusi and donovan as well as jones/cameron and then playing so well even without cherundolo is a good sign. That said- there is nothing behind dempsey/jozy right now that is even close to their level. Clint has become a focal point of opponents and that has really helped. I still look at teams like italy and how vulnerable they are without pirlo .. the same of brazil without neymar and see we arent the only team with depth concerns. Then think if shea ever really start getting into good form and holden gets there too- i think we have a lot of pieces to make a run to the semi's with the right grouping and quarterfinal matchup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom