Sparty fires Mel Tucker / hires Jonathan Smith | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sparty fires Mel Tucker / hires Jonathan Smith

He apparently masturbated on the phone “without consent.”

I mean it’s basic etiquette that we all obtain phone call masturbator clearance before we even begin the call . It’s phone call 101
Yeah, they taught us this in kindergarten.

Let it go. I'm past it.

Already scouring Sparty's roster for potential transfers...who's with me?

I wasn't lying (for once). Here goes:

Jaden Carter?
Jalen Burger? We offered. Communications Major.
Armorion Smith? We offered.
Ken Talley? We offered.
Jay Coyne? Attended our Junior Day.
Geno VanDeMark? Offered, Dohn had him as a lock for Rutgirls back in 2020. Was wrong.

Last edited:
He'll get fired for cause then sue for payment of full contract and win.
Next.

Not to make light of the situation, but yet I’m kind of being serious….

“If I wasn’t a football coach and if I wasn’t married, would you date me?” = immediate fire

She is a former victim and victims advocate. That alone should have been where his judgment needs to be appropriate here and it was not. This wasn't two frolicking singles writing a romance novel. Dude was married and pursued. He also spent time it appears earning trust which could be argued as taking advantage of someone knowing their personal trauma.

Not sure how it will play out legally but him trying to argue about things being completely consensual - don't buy it. There is a manipulative/grooming of a former victim vibe here.
We don't know the circumstances of their relationship. They are both adults.

Absolutely true, but married Tucker should've had the genital fortitude to steer clear and just shut the whole thing down before it developed. I know sex is a highly incentivized act, but JC, channel it differently dude. Don't pursue or flirt with a university-sponsored rape survivor/counselor unless your serious about the woman. This isn't bad judgment - it's reckless stupidity.

You missed the point completely. We know enough to the effect that what happened here is rife with poor decisions by the MSU head coach where he leveraged his position. Beyond that it can only get uglier.

You missed the point completely. We know enough to the effect that what happened here is rife with poor decisions by the MSU head coach where he leveraged his position. Beyond that it can only get uglier.
Did you infer he leveraged his position? There's nothing that says he used his position of authority.

Her brand is tarnished if they had something going on while he was married. I say was because he's surely headed for divorce. There's no way it can come out that there's something more.

Did you infer he leveraged his position? There's nothing that says he used his position of authority.

Her brand is tarnished if they had something going on while he was married. I say was because he's surely headed for divorce. There's no way it can come out that there's something more.

His relationship to her overlapped with his job as a coach. It's no different than relationships at a place of employment with a vendor. Payment doesnt have to be exchanged. Thus the relationship that ensued was fostered through his position as coach. It's very simple. At the very minimum it's something called out in any company's code of conduct and compliance policies.

Thus everything underneath of that is problematic moreso than the already problematic relationship between them. At the bare minimum will be MSU's own policies. Now take into consideration the history with Nassar and I'm willing to bet that MSU likely has a much more robust policy on employee- vendor- student etc relationships.

I think you are getting this confused with him going to prison etc. That's the "everything else" I was speaking to that I'm sure will be sorted out. At a bare minimum he acted irresponsibly using his position to help propagate a relationship with an external business associate. That's before you get into the Title IX issues here and even on the surface there are very much concerns. From a reputational risk standpoint paired with misconduct in accordance with employment policy he is toast.

They can work out the rest away from Mich St and you can argue the tenets of their relationship but he doesn't have much to stand on here.

Also just one other side note- as someone who has a couple very close friends with experience as victims of sexual assault- this is not something that a switch is flipped at a certain point. It's a pain and vulnerability that they live with for life that does make them more vulnerable to being taken advantage of again- that means there is a moral responsibility here for someone like Tucker who is a self proclaimed ally/advocate.

Last edited:
His relationship to her overlapped with his job as a coach. It's no different than relationships at a place of employment with a vendor. Payment doesnt have to be exchanged. Thus the relationship that ensued was fostered through his position as coach. It's very simple. At the very minimum it's something called out in any company's code of conduct and compliance policies.

Thus everything underneath of that is problematic moreso than the already problematic relationship between them. At the bare minimum will be MSU's own policies. Now take into consideration the history with Nassar and I'm willing to bet that MSU likely has a much more robust policy on employee- vendor- student etc relationships.

I think you are getting this confused with him going to prison etc. That's the "everything else" I was speaking to that I'm sure will be sorted out. At a bare minimum he acted irresponsibly using his position to help propagate a relationship with an external business associate. That's before you get into the Title IX issues here and even on the surface there are very much concerns. From a reputational risk standpoint paired with misconduct in accordance with employment policy he is toast.

They can work out the rest away from Mich St and you can argue the tenets of their relationship but he doesn't have much to stand on here.
Where did I say he was going to prison? Tucker brought this on himself, but this isn't black and white (in this case, it's literal). Dump all the texts if they still exist. He cost himself generational wealth because he thought with the wrong head. She's going to come up once she sues the school. Only those two know what relationship they had.

Where did I say he was going to prison? Tucker brought this on himself, but this isn't black and white (in this case, it's literal). Dump all the texts if they still exist. He cost himself generational wealth because he thought with the wrong head. She's going to come up once she sues the school. Only those two know what relationship they had.

If you are advocating for the man to keep his job you are missing the entire point of my post which is pointing out what is cut and dry. Otherwise no clue what you are trying to argue. Guessing you aren't familiar with how employment, code of conduct and compliance policies work. I'm not litigating their relationship details. As expected with how these things work he has been fired. He doesn't have an argument to keep his job.

Do they have any starting OL we can poach?

Edit -- didn't Michigan State hork an offensive lineman from Canada that we were going after hard a few years ago? I wonder if something like that it's an option.

Last edited:
Not to make light of the situation, but yet I’m kind of being serious….

“If I wasn’t a football coach and if I wasn’t married, would you date me?” = immediate fire
You also have to take in to account who he was talking to? A rape victim. He should be fired for cause on his judgment just sucking. Of all the woman in the world to hit on...