SpartyFan: "Cuse Will Be A Good Tuneup Match For Duke's Zone." | Syracusefan.com

SpartyFan: "Cuse Will Be A Good Tuneup Match For Duke's Zone."

kingtidge

All American
An MSU matchup analysis here:

In Depth Analysis: Syracuse

Nothing special... Mostly a comparison of team stats put to paragraph.

That said, there are some choice comments at the bottom...

The sparty fans looking past us and how beating our zone will be key in preparing them to take out Duke... They've always had a strong contingent of conceited knobs that think of themselves as God's gift to college basketball under Izzo. Especially come tournament time.

I really hope we put them through the ugly slowdown zone grinder and snatch an ugly win from them.

It's a tall order given our team's limitations, 3 games in 5 days and depth, etc.., but they deserve it.

Last edited:
If I were in their position, I'd probably feel the same way. I hope we prove them wrong but can't blame them for the confidence.

+1. Our sentiments on this are likely quite similar, although I do admire the OP for putting out for his team.

EDIT: I also like the avatar, as Im drinking "Top Rope" beer, which has a Nacho Libre mask on it. I found it in the deal door and am very pleased with it! Maybe I'll upload a photo once I remember how to strip all of the identifying data from said photo, lol.

Last edited:
If I were in their position, I'd probably feel the same way. I hope we prove them wrong but can't blame them for the confidence.

Really?

In this era of 1 and done prospects in a program of revolving door talent, the tournament has never been more competitive. You really can't look past anybody anymore... Just ask Virginia.

I certainly don't mind us being the underdog. It helps us.

Anyways, I mention it as I've seen this attitude on the other side from their fans when we've played them in the past. I don't get it. We're the annoying team they are forced to have to grind out an ugly win against. They will win in a stinker beating the zone through Izzo's superior coaching acumen and frankly, it's beneath them. I know Izzo doesn't think that, but there is that undercurrent with some of their fans (certainly not all their fans, mind...)

Guess what? We have 4-1 overall record against them and Izzo’s only win came nearly two decades ago in 2000.

Last edited:
Really?

In this era of 1 and done prospects in a program of revolving door talent, the tournament has never been more competitive. You really can't look past anybody anymore... Just ask Virginia.

I certainly don't mind us being the underdog. It helps us.

Anyways, I mention it as I've seen this attitude on the other side from their fans when we've played them in the past. I don't get it. We're the annoying team they are forced to have to grind out an ugly win against. They will win in a stinker beating the zone through Izzo's superior coaching acumen and frankly, it's beneath them. I know Izzo doesn't think that, but there is that undercurrent with some of their fans (certainly not all their fans, mind...)

Guess what? We have 4-1 overall record against them and Izzo’s only win came nearly two decades ago in 2000.
That one was in tournament game at Auburn Hills.

Blew us out of water second half

I fear a repeat

The sparty fans looking past us and how beating our zone will be key in preparing them to take out Duke...
I had the same thought. Sorry.

We actually need to score 60-65 points today.

Our offense had very few turnovers on Friday and we shot low 30s.

Frank and Tyus have to be on today for us to win.

Interesting shift in our fan perspective from; “Our offense is like being in a rock fight & horrible to watch”, to, “ Can’t wait to get these guys into the meat grinder”.
I’m guilty of that as well, and want nothing more than to see those frustrated looks on MSU faces as they grind out another possession with the shot clock winding down.
We got ‘em right where we want ‘em!

Interesting shift in our fan perspective from; “Our offense is like being in a rock fight & horrible to watch”, to, “ Can’t wait to get these guys into the meat grinder”.
I’m guilty of that as well, and want nothing more than to see those frustrated looks on MSU faces as they grind out another possession with the shot clock winding down.

Big picture I’m still the first one. Focusing on the here and now, we’ve gotta go with what we’ve got so winning a defensive rock fight is our best bet.

Big picture, I’d love to get back to running out of the zone like we did in the early part of this decade. Hopefully next year.

I mean yeah MSU fans are perpetually arrogant/entitled - but in this case they're, um... not wrong?

An MSU matchup analysis here:

In Depth Analysis: Syracuse

Nothing special... Mostly a comparison of team stats put to paragraph.

That said, there are some choice comments at the bottom...

The sparty fans looking past us and how beating our zone will be key in preparing them to take out Duke... They've always had a strong contingent of conceited knobs that think of themselves as God's gift to college basketball under Izzo. Especially come tournament time.

I really hope we put them through the ugly slowdown zone grinder and snatch an ugly win from them.

It's a tall order given our team's limitations, 3 games in 5 days and depth, etc.., but they deserve it.
MSU is not a great half court team, but they do have shooters - Winston, Bridges, Langford, even Jackson. McQuaid off the bench. Make sure to get back on defense. They push the ball even after made baskets.

I’m oddly confident about today’s game. It’s not like they’ve been blowing out anybody recently.

Our games suck to watch but most fans are realist to admit all that matters are W/Ls.

I don’t enjoy watching our style and find the Billy Owens/Sherm/Coleman/Stevie up and down style way more fun but if we win that is all that matters.

I’m oddly confident about today’s game. It’s not like they’ve been blowing out anybody recently.
Duke was our only blowout and if we shot 40% we could have won that game.

I remember a time not to long ago when another big10 team looked past us and we obliterated them. Not saying we are as good as the 2013 team but who knows.

On a separate note isn’t it funny that duke took our zone and can now use it against us?

Duke was our only blowout and if we shot 40% we could have won that game.
Also UNC in Acc tourney. That was a whooping.

The duke game I believe was due to hard rims. They were so tight nobody could shoot. I honestly feel duke made them so tight and used a zone...basically saying cuse cannot shoot and if we make it even harder on them then they don’t have a shot. Both teams combined for like 2-30 in three pointers at one point I believe.

Our games suck to watch but most fans are realist to admit all that matters are W/Ls.

I don’t enjoy watching our style and find the Billy Owens/Sherm/Coleman/Stevie up and down style way more fun but if we win that is all that matters.
Agreed, and can’t wait to hopefully get back to that starting next year.

Also UNC in Acc tourney. That was a whooping.

The duke game I believe was due to hard rims. They were so tight nobody could shoot. I honestly feel duke made them so tight and used a zone...basically saying cuse cannot shoot and if we make it even harder on them then they don’t have a shot. Both teams combined for like 2-30 in three pointers at one point I believe.

Well Duke put down a ton of dunks and lobs on us so I dunno about the tight rims theory, lol.

Well Duke put down a ton of dunks and lobs on us so I dunno about the tight rims theory, lol.
They knew they had the advantage inside and basically said if neither team can score from the outside they have the advantage. Tight rims would totally favor a team that can score inside. I 1000% believe it in that game. It was the worst shooting game by either team this season. At half it was like 25-20. I wouldn’t put it past K to do something like that at home either.

Haha. I mean, that’s what we can hope for, I guess. Frustrated looks and hopefully they stagnate on offense. If they simply deploy some big-big passing like Duke or UNC was doing I don’t see how we have a chance. If they start to freeze or lockup then maybe. But we have to score in this one. We can’t expect to win games shooting like 37% in an already low possession game. What we’re seeing is against better athletes Frank and Tyus are struggling getting downhill and teams are focusing in on Battle more. Even with a screen Frank isn’t going anywhere as there were plenty of times in both games the opponents were actually rolling with Chukwu to the basket. Oshae has better 1-on-1 ability in these matchups and Marek made TCU pay for not guarding him.