Speaking of coaches...aren't we still short one? | Syracusefan.com

Speaking of coaches...aren't we still short one?

Jake

Mod
I would have to think that last spot will be filled quickly. My guess is its someone who wanted to stick around their current job until after NSD.

I would have to think that last spot will be filled quickly. My guess is its someone who wanted to stick around their current job until after NSD.

Yes we are and that was one of the top questions that I had hoped to ask / have answered at last night's event. Last I heard two weeks ago was that the candidate that they wanted was trying to get out of a contract with his current job (no idea if it was college or pro).

On this topic, SS said last night that Tim Daoust was the DL coach and was going to be getting 2 more titles in a couple of days. We know one is recruiting coordinator. I expect the second title will be special teams coordinator.

On this topic, SS said last night that Tim Daoust was the DL coach and was going to be getting 2 more titles in a couple of days. We know one is recruiting coordinator. I expect the second title will be special teams coordinator .
Lot of responsibility.

Lot of responsibility.
Agreed. Especially when you consider that the DL coaching responsibilities were being split between Tim and Jimmy Brumbaugh when Tim first arrived here.

On this topic, SS said last night that Tim Daoust was the DL coach and was going to be getting 2 more titles in a couple of days. We know one is recruiting coordinator. I expect the second title will be special teams coordinator.

I wonder why he was chosen as the recruiting coordinator-It's not like he's been a recruiting juggernaut. Hoped they would use that spot to bring in another big-time recruiter.

Again, a recruiting coordinator handles many of the organizational / admin roles pertaining to recruiting. It is not necessarily referring to the best recruiter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I wonder why he was chosen as the recruiting coordinator-It's not like he's been a recruiting juggernaut. Hoped they would use that spot to bring in another big-time recruiter.
Don't think recruiting coordinator is typically a full time job. Think the position almost had to go to someone who was already on the staff and familiar with what was already in place, what clinics the staff typically attends, what recruiting events SU normally does, has some contacts with coaches in the East, etc.

Really want them to hire a great ST coach. The DB's can be handled by Shaf & someone else. We need to focus on improving special teams, in a bad way.

Really want them to hire a great ST coach. The DB's can be handled by Shaf & someone else. We need to focus on improving special teams, in a bad way.

Special teams comprises very little practice time, so you can't hire just a special teams coach and then hope he's also a good position coach. It's gotta be the other way around.

Special teams comprises very little practice time, so you can't hire just a special teams coach and then hope he's also a good position coach. It's gotta be the other way around.

True, but they really need more practice time, if you know what I mean.

Again, a recruiting coordinator handles many of the organizational / admin roles pertaining to recruiting. It is not necessarily referring to the best recruiter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yes, but it generally comes w/ a little more dough. Wish that could be used to lure an established recruiter

What position are we still short a coach for?

Dbs

As a very experienced douchebag, I would like the opportunity to interview for the position of DB Coach.

Oh wait, you're saying it's not that kind of DB? Ooh, my mistake!

Still though, can I be a coach?

Don't think recruiting coordinator is typically a full time job. Think the position almost had to go to someone who was already on the staff and familiar with what was already in place, what clinics the staff typically attends, what recruiting events SU normally does, has some contacts with coaches in the East, etc.

I'm hopeful Shafer will staff recruiting like many schools do. It isn't just the 1 coach nor is the staff made up of coaches.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

2011football-002finaljpg-25bed798a5240825.jpg

This move works on many levels:
  • rewards a productive staff member who stayed with HCSS while many others were running to Buffalo.
  • The best recruiter on the staff that remained following departure of DM.
  • Knows the recruiting landscape best among the current staff.
  • Many of the duties of the recruiting coordinator are handled by the administrative assistant assigned to recruiting; frees him to pass along his knowledge of the area and HS coaching information to other coaches who are not really knowledgeable east coast territory.
  • with this staff, I could be the recruiting coordinator and just turn loose McDonald and the others.

Anselmo clone. NYC and Long Island Recruiter.Any guy who NYC kids would feel very comfortable coming up to the hill for. He could be the long snapper coach for all I care.

Anselmo clone. NYC and Long Island Recruiter.Any guy who NYC kids would feel very comfortable coming up to the hill for. He could be the long snapper coach for all I care.

Exactly. Hire a NJ or NYC HS/prep school HC who has those tri state contacts. Not only that but if he's had success as a HC at the prep level, its not far fetched to think he can't be successful as a D-1 position coach.

As a side thought, (outside of Casullo and when Marrone was first hired),weren't all the coaches fired by Marrone while at Syracuse a result of poor recruiting results? Finding an Anselmo 2.0 helps to prevent this.

Exactly. Hire a NJ or NYC HS/prep school HC who has those tri state contacts. Not only that but if he's had success as a HC at the prep level, its not far fetched to think he can't be successful as a D-1 position coach.

As a side thought, (outside of Casullo and when Marrone was first hired),weren't all the coaches fired by Marrone while at Syracuse a result of poor recruiting results? Finding an Anselmo 2.0 helps to prevent this.

seems like Rob Moore has already been handed the keys for downstate/NJ. How is he as a recruiter? If I recall I haven't heard the greatest things? It was also discouraging hearing Edwards say that he never really gelled with the new staff, which was mainly Moore.

seems like Rob Moore has already been handed the keys for downstate/NJ. How is he as a recruiter? If I recall I haven't heard the greatest things? It was also discouraging hearing Edwards say that he never really gelled with the new staff, which was mainly Moore.
People have disagreed but I can't think of one recruit we've landed where Moore was the lead recruiter. I like him as a coach but as a recruiter it's not adding up.

Surprised that there haven't been any rumors to Shafer reaching out to Jeff Popovich. He was just fired from FIU, on signing day, and is a good Florida recruiter. I know people want a Northeast guy but where are we gonna find a strong northeast recruiter now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom