Special Teams, Hackett and other Issues | Syracusefan.com

Special Teams, Hackett and other Issues

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Just wanted to get my thoughts out there after a very frustrating game that I was forced to watch on TV due to a wedding. To me a couple of things are clear after yesterday's game.

A special teams coach is needed, period. This hodge podge of each assistant coach doing something different is clearly not working and our special teams has actually regressed under Marrone in certain areas. Two years ago Rutgers blocked two kicks and last year nearly blocked two others. THe fact we were not prepared yesterday for Rutgers rush is totally totally unacceptable, people get fired for performances like that in the NFL. A special teams coach needs to be hired as soon as the year is over 3 blocks kicked is not acceptable at any level especially when it clearly cost us the game.

Second Marrone needs to take over play calling and wish Hackett the best in his future endeavors. How many times did Bailey run inside on a draw up the middle on first down for a 1 yard gain. We have Harris and Kose why are they not lead blocking? No sweeps and very little off tackle and the one time we did run off tackle Bailey went 40 yards. Once again our passing game consisted of 6 yard slants that Schiano called a timeout for on the last drive in regulation to adjust his defense to and we of course threw a pick. We never throw the ball down the field anymore, totally ignored provo in the second half and when we do finally get in position to actually pound the ball like Hackett wants to were calling wheel routes on 3rd and 1 and a quick slant to a true Freshman in cruch time on the 2 yard line who has many career catches as Cali. Do we have any pass plays that arent slants or checkdowns to Bailey why are we never throwing it downfield? Ever?? Also we have run about 30 Wr bubble and junk screens this year and I think we ran 1 yesterday, where did that play go? How about a screen to Rene instead of to Provo whos slower then me. Also can someone put out an ABP on Adrian Flemming, jesus is this kid ever gonna play.

Lastly yesterdays game reminded me more of the P years then Grob, missed extra point in the beginning of the third that you knew was going to haunt us, redshirt freshman runnign back carrying the ball inside the 5 and fumbling (shades of Dee Brown vs NCState) and absolutely zero trick plays or anything out of the ordinary. No double passes, no flea flickers, half back pass, etc. When its clear were struggling to move the ball its OK to run a trick play, no idea why Hackett is so against it.

A special teams coach is needed, period. This hodge podge of each assistant coach doing something different is clearly not working and our special teams has actually regressed under Marrone in certain areas. Two years ago Rutgers blocked two kicks and last year nearly blocked two others. THe fact we were not prepared yesterday for Rutgers rush is totally totally unacceptable, people get fired for performances like that in the NFL. A special teams coach needs to be hired as soon as the year is over 3 blocks kicked is not acceptable at any level especially when it clearly cost us the game.

Totally agree with this. Is Avezzano available? :D

Agreed...ST needs an accountable full time coach. Too much for Ansellmo to do. Chandler being out has killed us in ST's protection too. The team has nearly 3 weeks to get it right or more likely make it average.

Good summary Jeremy. I've been defending the coaching staff since the game but I've also stated that I have some serious concerns about the overall playcalling. These are all things I've been concerned with. I was trying to explain to my wife during the game the difference between running Off tackle and just running up the middle, which she kept complaining about LOL. I don't get that either.

Although I agree, I am not sure the playcalling would change all that much..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom