Spectrum cable pixellation | Syracusefan.com

Spectrum cable pixellation

Mareiniss

Starter
I’m in Baldwinsville, and my Spectrum cable TV service has been awful for the last week or two. My picture is constantly pixelating and stuttering, I’m wondering if it’s something unique to my equipment, or is it a more systemwide problem. Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

I’m in Baldwinsville, and my Spectrum cable TV service has been awful for the last week or two. My picture is constantly pixelating and stuttering, I’m wondering if it’s something unique to my equipment, or is it a more systemwide problem. Is anyone else experiencing these problems?
Happens to me all the time here in Rochester.

Do you have a cable box?

Spectrum was freezing on me this past week. I'm in Lockport and have an Apple TV controller.

About every 3 years when I start to pixelate, they need to replace the wire from house to underground junction box in front yard. Call them, they’ll figure it out.

I have the same issue for the last 3 years!! I live in Charlotte and Spectrum is just horrible. Must have had a least a dozen different techs out to the house. They have changed every line in the house but just refuse to change the line from the box to the house since it is underground.

I have the same issue for the last 3 years!! I live in Charlotte and Spectrum is just horrible. Must have had a least a dozen different techs out to the house. They have changed every line in the house but just refuse to change the line from the box to the house since it is underground.
Interesting. In Syracuse, They own the line. We’ve done it so much, the last guy installed a connection point outside the house so they no longer have to fish the new wire into the house. Saves a time of time when they need to replace the outside wire.

Last edited:
this is the same reason phone have tried to replace copper with fiber to the home. Squirrels, bird, and rain kills these lines.

this is the same reason phone have tried to replace copper with fiber to the home. Squirrels, bird, and rain kills these lines.
Yup., very common problem in CNY. It is a sign your signal is not solid.

Spectrum techs need to stop by on site, can check signal strength, determine root cause for the weak signal and implement corrective actions. Call them and set up an appointment.

We built a new home a couple of years ago and ran their best cable to our house in conduit (65 feet). Our signal is good. We actually had too much strength and we eliminated a booster that we thought we would need because we have several outlets (not all being used) in the house. It helps to have an updated modem. We live in the Adirondacks too.

We built a new home a couple of years ago and ran their best cable to our house in conduit (65 feet). Our signal is good. We actually had too much strength and we eliminated a booster that we thought we would need because we have several outlets (not all being used) in the house. It helps to have an updated modem. We live in the Adirondacks too.
Conduit is definitely the way to go if it's underground. One, it's protected, and two, if there's a pronlem later, they can just fish a new line through.
You probably had to pay extra for that as it's typical for cable companies to provide "complimentary" installation, but the small print says "standard installation".

Is it all channels, particularly the low ones like major 4 networks?

Other channels that are switched (SDV) are more likely to be pixelated as they try to cram these channels in a limited amount of bandwidth

ie espn and espn 2 look nice @ 720p whereas espnu and our accn channels are switched and even at 720p look crappy.

Is it all channels, particularly the low ones like major 4 networks?

Other channels that are switched (SDV) are more likely to be pixelated as they try to cram these channels in a limited amount of bandwidth

ie espn and espn 2 look nice @ 720p whereas espnu and our accn channels are switched and even at 720p look crappy.
I've gotten a little stuttering on all channels, but a few channels, e.g., 17 - TBS - are really bad. ESPNU and ACCN have been pretty good. On the other hand, I've had frequent Internet drop-outs and even a few auto-reboots by my cable box. I'm just about ready to move to FIOS!

I've gotten a little stuttering on all channels, but a few channels, e.g., 17 - TBS - are really bad. ESPNU and ACCN have been pretty good. On the other hand, I've had frequent Internet drop-outs and even a few auto-reboots by my cable box. I'm just about ready to move to FIOS!
I had issues with TWC then Spectrum for a while, until I read about the requirements of digital phone. While internet service is more prone to outages related to hardware (physical cable, connections, distro boxes), digital phone seems to have more stringent uptime requirements for 911 usage. The guidance was to sub to digital phone for a month. Get them to come out to hook it up.
When they came to my house they replaced all the connectors and cable run to my phone/internet modem. They also spent a lot of time at the box by the road. Since then we have had occasional internet outages but mostly due to a regional or neighborhood outage/storm. But not like it used to be. At least that it my experience.

Conduit is definitely the way to go if it's underground. One, it's protected, and two, if there's a pronlem later, they can just fish a new line through.
You probably had to pay extra for that as it's typical for cable companies to provide "complimentary" installation, but the small print says "standard installation".
I actually dug the ditch by hand for both power and cable. I put both lines in separate conduit. It took a couple of days but it was worth it. Spectrum left me a roll of cable long enough to reach the pole next to the road and to the new house. No charge. The cable was bright Orange. How appropriate!!

I actually dug the ditch by hand for both power and cable. I put both lines in separate conduit. It took a couple of days but it was worth it. Spectrum left me a roll of cable long enough to reach the pole next to the road and to the new house. No charge. The cable was bright Orange. How appropriate!!
The orange is the best cable right now. Going on 4 years with orange. Don’t think I got more that 2 years with black and then white cable,

The orange is the best cable right now. Going on 4 years with orange. Don’t think I got more that 2 years with black and then white cable,
I have Orange too, and it's been ok. But starting to pixelate and get IT dropouts. Tech visits don't always solve the signal problem ... my surmise is that this is b/c they measure signal strength at one moment in time - usually in the middle of the day when demand is not at peak (like it is at 8 or 9 pm). But I could be wrong on that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom