Speculating on Our Schedule | Syracusefan.com

Speculating on Our Schedule

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This is a repost of a post I made a couple of days ago in the middle of the New Schedule (10+1) post.

Thought I would do a little speculation on how the SU schedule will end up looking.

We know the season will start the week of September 7th to 12th.
We know there will be 2 byes.

We know Syracuse has asked to not be scheduled to play a home game for the first 2 weeks of the season, to allow the dome renovation to complete.

I will also speculate that when possible, the ACC will try and keep games previously scheduled on the same dates. That will help with charter plane reservations, hotel reservations, limit cascade effects of making other changes, etc.

I am also going to assume we play Liberty as our OOC opponent. It sounds like that will happen if they are willing to follow the ACC COVID testing protocols. I assume given the money at stake, they will.

Given all that, this is what I came up with...

Saturday, September 12th Away game at ACC venue. UNC, who was supposed to play Auburn
Saturday, September 19th Away game at ACC venue. ND lost Arkansas, would be a good fit
Saturday, September 26th Home game vs BC. They are open and the best fit for reopening the Dome
Saturday, October 3rd Away game at Louisville. Was initially home game at Syracuse
Saturday, October 10th First bye week
Saturday, October 17th Home game OOC against Liberty
Saturday, October 24th Away game at Clemson, as originally scheduled
Saturday, October 31st Home game against Georgia Tech, as originally scheduled
Saturday, November 7th Home game at Wake Forest (was away game at Wake before)
Saturday, November 14th Home game vs NC State (as originally scheduled)
Saturday, November 21st Second bye week
Saturday, November 28th Away game at Pittsburgh, as originally scheduled
Saturday, December 3rd Home game vs Duke

What looked likely to be a 4-0 start has become far, far more difficult.

If this schedule happens, I think the goal is to survive the first 6 games and salvage a 2-4 record.

The last 5 games are much more reasonable. We would do well to finish those games 4-1. Hope we can hold up injury wise and COVID wise through this tough season.

I for one would be very pleased with a 6-5 record facing this schedule.

I would think that the ideal schedule for any team this season would feature the easiest games early and the toughest late. Why? Because the late games are the ones most likely to not get played. You want to play Clemson and Notre Dame at the end of the season. You want the home games against BC, Wake, GT, Duke and NC State early. This is a year a decent team with a schedule where the tough games are late might back into playing in the ACC championship game with say a 6-2 record (and no games against top 25 teams).

Unfortunately, we know SU asked the ACC to schedule away games early. And based on what I found trying to put together a schedule, I see a lot of late home games against beatable opponents, and a tough front loaded schedule to start things off.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what the schedule will look this? Are my assumptions valid? Does this make sense?

That is a brutal start to the season, esp with all the away games...as far as this season goes, throw the records out the door (which will happen if there isn't a full season anyway) and let's get the new offense and defense installed and look for a bright 2021 season

Previous dates won’t be the schedule.
The PAC-12 completely redid its schedule.
I can imagine a few dates might remain the same but overwhelmingly most of the schedule will be redone if we play.

I would garner we start the season at Notre Dame. Just a hunch.

however this shakes out, this will be our most difficult slate in years, maybe decades.

Previous dates won’t be the schedule.
The PAC-12 completely redid its schedule.
I can imagine a few dates might remain the same but overwhelmingly most of the schedule will be redone if we play.

I would garner we start the season at Notre Dame. Just a hunch.
Mark Blaudschun disagrees. Thinks ND will open Labor Day weekend against Clemson or Navy. That makes far more sense to me that wasting the start of the season on an ND-SU matchup.

Mark Blaudschun disagrees. Thinks ND will open Labor Day weekend against Clemson or Navy. That makes far more sense to me that wasting the start of the season on an ND-SU matchup.

Sports Illustrated used to have credibility but going to the Maven network and hiring people like Blaudschun as a free lancer to post H0T Takes don’t do it for me.

ESPN isn’t going to want NBC get Clemson at Notre Dame week 1.

ESPN will want a good matchup on prime time week 1. If ND is getting a prime time week 1 opponent it will be on the road so it’s on ESPN.

Since we have 5 road games.
We aren’t playing Clemson week 1.
It’s either Notre Dame, Louisville, North Carolina, or Pitt.

Thus for distance I am assuming Pitt or Notre Dame week 1.

Sports Illustrated used to have credibility but going to the Maven network and hiring people like Blaudschun as a free lancer to post H0T Takes don’t do it for me.

ESPN isn’t going to want NBC get Clemson at Notre Dame week 1.

ESPN will want a good matchup on prime time week 1. If ND is getting a prime time week 1 opponent it will be on the road so it’s on ESPN.

Since we have 5 road games.
We aren’t playing Clemson week 1.
It’s either Notre Dame, Louisville, North Carolina, or Pitt.

Thus for distance I am assuming Pitt or Notre Dame week 1.
Blaudschun still has sources. He isn't a fanboy making stuff up in his mom's basement.

The schedule makers have a major challenge to get the ACC schedule right. Kind of surprised they announced the opponents before the dates. It is possible to paint yourself into a corner doing this if you aren't careful.

I know there is software out there that looks at all the constraints imposed on the schedule and kicks out a number of schedules as best options.

I would assume that after the opponents were chosen, the scheduling software program was run and the the results reviewed to ensure there was reasonable schedule options out there. I am guessing the delay in announcing dates is more in getting approval from the networks, maybe making sure travel and hotels are available. There has probably been some horse trading going on with NBC and ESPN to get dates deemed fair by both sides.

This is a repost of a post I made a couple of days ago in the middle of the New Schedule (10+1) post.

Thought I would do a little speculation on how the SU schedule will end up looking.

We know Syracuse has asked to not be scheduled to play a home game for the first 2 weeks of the season, to allow the dome renovation to complete.

I will also speculate that when possible, the ACC will try and keep games previously scheduled on the same dates. That will help with charter plane reservations, hotel reservations, limit cascade effects of making other changes, etc.

I am also going to assume we play Liberty as our OOC opponent. It sounds like that will happen if they are willing to follow the ACC COVID testing protocols. I assume given the money at stake, they will.

Saturday, September 12th Away game at ACC venue. UNC, who was supposed to play Auburn
Saturday, September 19th Away game at ACC venue. ND lost Arkansas, would be a good fit
Saturday, September 26th Home game vs BC. They are open and the best fit for reopening the Dome
Saturday, October 3rd Away game at Louisville. Was initially home game at Syracuse

If this schedule happens, I think the goal is to survive the first 6 games and salvage a 2-4 record.

The last 5 games are much more reasonable. We would do well to finish those games 4-1. Hope we can hold up injury wise and COVID wise through this tough season.

I would think that the ideal schedule for any team this season would feature the easiest games early and the toughest late. Why? Because the late games are the ones most likely to not get played. You want to play Clemson and Notre Dame at the end of the season. You want the home games against BC, Wake, GT, Duke and NC State early. This is a year a decent team with a schedule where the tough games are late might back into playing in the ACC championship game with say a 6-2 record (and no games against top 25 teams).

Unfortunately, we know SU asked the ACC to schedule away games early. And based on what I found trying to put together a schedule, I see a lot of late home games against beatable opponents, and a tough front loaded schedule to start things off.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what the schedule will look this? Are my assumptions valid? Does this make sense?
Frankly, for numerous reasons, I fervently hope we do not play Liberty. Not the least of which is I have little-to-no hope that they will 'religiously' follow the protocols set forth by the ACC.

And in doing so, potentially infect members of our team.

I understand this is possible with any game, but at least in the ACC all teams are adhering to the same protocols and (presumably) following them to the letter (or hopefully, even more stringently).

Frankly, for numerous reasons, I fervently hope we do not play Liberty. Not the least of which is I have little-to-no hope that they will 'religiously' follow the protocols set forth by the ACC.

I understand this is possible with any game, but at least in the ACC all teams are adhering to the same protocols and (presumably) following them to the letter (or hopefully, even more stringently).
Liberty has 3 ACC OOC games. They have a ton of money on the line here.

Not sure the leadership can be counted on to do sane things but they have strong incentive to sign up to follow whatever protocols the ACC has for them, and follow them.

I would think the ACC schools are going to require proof (test results over a period of time, that sort of thing). If Liberty can't do it, I am sure there are other schools that will gladly spend money on testing to get more money for playing.

UConn for one has to be praying that Liberty will not be willing to meet the criteria the ACC schools are requiring. I think they are down to 3 or 4 games right now.

Mark suggested UB, which would be a great backup choice and would probably be able to host if the dome is not ready, whenever this game is to be played.

First I’m disappointed the dome should have been completed sooner not down to the wire .
Obviously our first 2 games will be on the road
Which doesn’t matter much with no or limited fans . I also can’t see the season playing out
Cases will cause panic and over reaction thus stopping the season maybe in a week . I wonder if we play say 3 games and cancel the season will it count as a year of eligibility?
IMO spring would be a disaster

The thread about VPI not following safety guidelines suggests not all ACC teams are following the same protocols. Maybe this changes during the season.

First I’m disappointed the dome should have been completed sooner not down to the wire .
Obviously our first 2 games will be on the road
Which doesn’t matter much with no or limited fans . I also can’t see the season playing out
Cases will cause panic and over reaction thus stopping the season maybe in a week . I wonder if we play say 3 games and cancel the season will it count as a year of eligibility?
IMO spring would be a disaster
The Dome was always going to be down to the wire. And I’m still in the camp that believes there will be no real season this fall.

The Dome was always going to be down to the wire. And I’m still in the camp that believes there will be no real season this fall.
I think we start but can’t see finishing
At least the waiting is kinda over good or bad camp is here

agreed... I think there will be a lot of open dates for leaf raking

bc makes sense for the home opener, i doubt they keep the same dates as the prior schedule since im guessing they will try to have dates where both teams are on a bye just in case of an outbreak

If the Dome reno is on schedule, SU could have a home game on Sept. 19, the day Colgate was to open the home schedule.

If the Dome reno is on schedule, SU could have a home game on Sept. 19, the day Colgate was to open the home schedule.
I was told when the second go round creating schedules started, SU asked to be assigned away games the first 2 weeks of the season. I assuming that means 9/12 and 9/19. Sounds like the project is only a little late right now.

Really is crappy that we finally have an OOC schedule that lines up to pretty realistically go 4 and 0... and an unprecedented circumstance blew it up.
2021 is:
@ Ohio
Rutgers
Albany
Liberty

So at least we don’t have to wait too long to have more than reasonable 4-0 expectations again.

Will bring a tv and lawn chair to Harrison Lot with about a dozen hoffmans to watch the home opener. It’s a matter of values.

2021 is:
@ Ohio
Rutgers
Albany
Liberty

So at least we don’t have to wait too long to have more than reasonable 4-0 expectations again.
Let us hope.