Spent last night binging on 2020 recruiting class info | Syracusefan.com

Spent last night binging on 2020 recruiting class info

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Now, of course we only just had our first verbal commitment, but it's a defensive end who is rated 32nd best strongside defensive end in America. So we're off to a very promising start.

As I look at the info of all the kids who have been on campus to various junior days and on unofficial visits, and I look at the sheer numbers of kids we are pulling in for visits from NJ again, from PA and OH, in addition to our continued push into Florida, of course, the Carolinas and Georgia, and I am really, really pleased.

I look at us getting in an early offer, if not the very first offer, on a bunch of these kids who have since blown up and have 10-15 offers, half of which are from P5 schools. That shows, of course, that Dino and Crew know talent when they see it, and they have their target profile.

Now of course we aren't going to get everyone, but wow, look at what 1 great season, plus the slow steady build with "name" wins each year, is doing to the talent base. This is going to be our best recruiting class since the 1990s. We are going to hit this one out of the park.

Now, of course we only just had our first verbal commitment, but it's a defensive end who is rated 32nd best strongside defensive end in America. So we're off to a very promising start.

As I look at the info of all the kids who have been on campus to various junior days and on unofficial visits, and I look at the sheer numbers of kids we are pulling in for visits from NJ again, from PA and OH, in addition to our continued push into Florida, of course, the Carolinas and Georgia, and I am really, really pleased.

I look at us getting in an early offer, if not the very first offer, on a bunch of these kids who have since blown up and have 10-15 offers, half of which are from P5 schools. That shows, of course, that Dino and Crew know talent when they see it, and they have their target profile.

Now of course we aren't going to get everyone, but wow, look at what 1 great season, plus the slow steady build with "name" wins each year, is doing to the talent base. This is going to be our best recruiting class since the 1990s. We are going to hit this one out of the park.
I'll take it

Who’s next to commit?

I think the next wave will be around the time of the camps. I think that's late May / early June.

We may get a couple more between now and then, but I think they want to see guys, and see that guys are willing to put in the time / have the interest in traveling up here to get to see and learn about the culture.

If the Junior Day and Unofficial Visitors translate into the quality of the people who come to our camps this summer, we might get 6-8 good ones around that time. We will have seen a lot of quality guys a couple times in person already, and hopefully fill half the class this summer. As we fill about half the class, our offers become more valuable, especially if we get off to a great start to the season.

I'd like to see us in double digit commits by July. Then fill the other half of the class during the school year. If we put together another year like we are capable of, we could easily have 8-9 wins -- with a new QB !! -- and we could play on New Year's Day in the Orange Bowl if we meet our new expectations.

I would love to still have half the class available to be filled by October / November commits, when the team is en route to another excellent season.

We could realistically beat Clemson at the Dome, but we could just as realistically lose to a couple teams like NC State, Louisville or Florida State, all of whom are on the road. We could lose to Clemson, a couple tough road games, and one upset at home. That's still an 8-4 season, which to me is our floor.

Win a couple good road games, maybe pop Clemson, don't mess up early at Maryland, and we might be playing on New Year's Day.

But there is a lot of talent in the ACC, even if there are a bunch of new coaches right now who are trying to install new systems. They might have struggled last year, but teams like Florida State, Louisville and NC State are still getting more guys drafted than us, and show up better on the All-ACC Teams.

So this isn't going to automatically be a cakewalk just because things went right most of the time last year.

If things break right, we can play in the Orange Bowl. But we could wind up 8-4, too.

I would certainly take that in a heartbeat, if you asked me how we were going to do with a new QB, a reshuffled Offensive Line, new linebackers and being a little thin in the interior of the Defensive Line.

I am SO excited to see this recruiting class come together. I think it'll be the best in a generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom