Spitt on Pitt Postgame... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Spitt on Pitt Postgame...

I don’t understand why so many people dislike triple option/ wildcat/ RPO without the P whatever you want to call it etc schemes. It’s football; run blocking and blocking is like the meat and potatoes of the sport.

I genuinely do not see how passing is so much more exciting. Would everyone have hated football 100 years ago?
Passing offenses are more productive. They are harder to defend.

Also, the roof

I don’t understand why so many people dislike triple option/ wildcat/ RPO without the P whatever you want to call it etc schemes. It’s football; run blocking and blocking is like the meat and potatoes of the sport.

I genuinely do not see how passing is so much more exciting. Would everyone have hated football 100 years ago?
They're video game masters, they think it's a video game.

Passing offenses are more productive. They are harder to defend.

Also, the roof
I get it, and there’s a reason why the game has evolved the way it has. But I mean from an entertainment point of view; it seems like a lot of guys don’t like watching the ground game component.

I get it, and there’s a reason why the game has evolved the way it has. But I mean from an entertainment point of view; it seems like a lot of guys don’t like watching the ground game component.
I enjoy it when it works. But I also know it's not a winning strategy in 2023. It can work short term, but eventually even if you are lights out with it, you have to be able to put up offense against certain teams

Just for the record, currently the only offense overall in the top 25-30 that averages more run yards than passing is Liberty. UCF with the Malzahn scheme is pretty close on the split. I am not saying it can't work but it would be different these days.

Just for the record, currently the only offense overall in the top 25-30 that averages more run yards than passing is Liberty. UCF with the Malzahn scheme is pretty close on the split. I am not saying it can't work but it would be different these days.

Generally running teams will play shorter games, thus less yards and points on both sides of the ball.

Last year of Paul Johnson
2018 GA Tech was 65th Total O, 2nd Rushing O, 27th Scoring O

Last year of Rich Rod
2017 Arizona was 12th Total O, 4th Rushing O, 8th Scoring O

Rule changes would impact Johnson's system. Rich Rod's could still work. Currently his team this year is 64th, 6th, and 65th in their first year in FBS. Also it helps that a lot of teams are moving to 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 systems on D. Look how our D struggles to get off the field vs running teams.

I for one think this type of offense is worth considering; after all, it worked for Georgia Tech all of those years. Especially considering that consecutive bowl games are our current goal. It would be tough for teams to defend against because they don't play against those types of offenses. I don't think our program is currently above that.

I for one think this type of offense is worth considering; after all, it worked for Georgia Tech all of those years. Especially considering that consecutive bowl games are our current goal. It would be tough for teams to defend against because they don't play against those types of offenses. I don't think our program is currently above that.
It's boring, there's not enough quality players that want to play that style for an entire season and it caps your season as far as a ceiling of success. If we end up with 6-7 wins, fine. But they should be trying for better.

And liberty doesn't count because it's not enough to just run. you have to do it with a fullback a tailback an h back two tight ends and extra OL and hope they don't notice you have twelve

and then they'll tell you that it's cyclical. getting people the hell away from the guy with the ball works in some eras, in other eras, running through a multidimensional human centipede of endocrine malfunctions works best supposedly.

part of the beauty of college football is that there are so many teams, you can justify whatever it is you feel like doing by pointing to so and so.

nothing is certain, it's just about increasing your odds. there are more bad programs making noise once in a while throwing the ball with offensive coaches than there are who win with defense or rushing

My nightmare scenario is that we go 6-6, we get matched up with one of the better Sun Belt type teams in some afterthought bowl and get smoked, and then Dino get's retained because we went 6-7 and managed to make it to a bowl.
You better plan on sleeping with the lights on that night.

There are no power running teams in college football. Nobody is committed to establishing the run and controlling the los.

There are no power running teams in college football. Nobody is committed to establishing the run and controlling the los.
You tell me a team like Oregon isn’t committed to establishing the run?

You tell me a team like Oregon isn’t committed to establishing the run?
I don'i think they have to establish the run, they have a huge talent advantage against most of the teams they play and can run or pass almost at will. If Syracuse could get 0-linemen as good as theirs, they could do more on offense, but those guys are a rare and expensive commodity.

I have to believe Dino will be back next season. If he is coaching next season, he should really asses what Syracuse can do on offense to me successful. The way I see it, he has had success when he has had a QB that runs the ball. Then commit to that, have all the QB's on the roster who can run and are stout enough to not get injured easily. The next 2 games and possible bowl game, develop this offense. If the o=line responds like last week and gets that kind of push, it will work.

I rather enjoy it. IF you are over matched by better skill players, its the best way to level the playing field. You can out physical them. Oline's are made

That being said. Once the run is a clear and present threat? Go ahead and pass.

I think too many teams don't focus enough on the run game. It should be job #1. Do what you want, after that, especially if you have a QB/WR that can. You build a house on a strong foundation.

I rather enjoy it. IF you are over matched by better skill players, its the best way to level the playing field. You can out physical them. Oline's are made

That being said. Once the run is a clear and present threat? Go ahead and pass.

I think too many teams don't focus enough on the run game. It should be job #1. Do what you want, after that, especially if you have a QB/WR that can. You build a house on a strong foundation.
Look at Clemson over the last 2 years. With all the advantages they have, they can not get their passing game to work and now are running the ball and winning.

Last edited:
This is why my percentage was so high on Dino returning if we won the final three games. Pretty much confirms it was going to happen.

This is why my percentage was so high on Dino returning if we won the final three games. Pretty much confirms it was going to happen.

That was a pretty big 'if'.

That was a pretty big 'if'.

For sure, it was a big if (and they came closer to making it a possibility than a lot of people thought they would going into GT with no QB). That wasn't the point, though.

8-4 was right there for the taking this year. Dino deserved what he got with or without the excuses. They returned everyone on offense, the QB depth issue was on him for not having a competent 2nd string. imo, the biggest portal lose was Jacobian Morgan not Lamson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom