Spitt on Pitt Postgame... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Spitt on Pitt Postgame...

No idea how the rest of the year will play out, but a fun game and nice win.

Kudos to the staff for creativity and a great gameplan.
My thoughts exactly, Dick. There is a time and a season for everything. Someone ( or some people) smarter than I will decide where SU goes from here. All in good time.

In the meantime, I saw my team beat a hated rival and peer program without being able to throw the ball. The players were happy, playing hard for each other. And yes, I was entertained.

They should have done this last week vs BC. But I'm happy. Shout-out to Long Island's Dan Villari.
It's a season of what ifs already

Beat BC and we are bowling

GaTech, night game, terrible against the run but will be prepared for the Cuse three headed attack

Wake, who may be checked out by the time we play

Opportunity is there

There’s a company within the industry I work in that goes through all levels of management people roughly every three years. It’s known to a point many external recruiters won’t work with them anymore, and anyone with skill knows going there is a potential career death sentence. The result is they hire people that don’t have qualification for the job they take, or the awareness of what a bad decision it is - and the cycle repeats itself.

We’re trapped in a spot where becoming “that school” is a risk if we:
1) Fire a coach who had potential to get us to 7 wins, but we pulled the pin early.
2) Fire a coach who got us to seven regular season wins and the first back-to back bowl games with the same head coach in over two decades.

That’s why firing him last Monday would have been incredibly short sighted and stupid. I can’t see two more wins here, we’ll get to seven losses and make a change.

(And I know guys here scream “but it’s been eight years!!!!” - and while that might seem super compelling to them, it isn’t to anyone outside of this bubble. We’re already seeing articles about how hard a job Syracuse is; that turns into an avalanche and the main national narrative if we fire in either of the two scenarios I listed. Which will make getting a qualified coach harder, which will make turning things around unlikely, which will mean we’re back to square one in three years looking for a replacement in a job justifiably viewed in the business as a career killer).
This is madness.
As much as I think we need to move on from Dino even if he manages to scrape out a bowl season, I won’t move the goalposts and claim he still needs to go.

All along my minimum requirement for him to keep his job, in my opinion, has been bowl appearances. I don’t believe I now have the right to stipulate that it also depends on HOW he reaches that goal. So if he manages to reach that goal, I (reluctantly) believe he should keep his job.

With that said, they shouldn’t give him a very favorable contract extension. It should be 2 years and lower in guaranteed $ with more offered in performance bonuses. If he doesn’t like a little less, but still millions a year, then he can retire because I doubt any program that would be worth it to him hires him.
You can move the goalposts. Adjusting your thinking based on new knowledge is a positive character trait.

Kinda funny cuse beats an absolute horrendous historically bad Pitt team with a QB doing backflips and physically in pain after every throw with it’s first ACC win in a horrible conference and the word extension is mentioned?

a run on sentence is the only way to include all the insanity.

You talking about Amazon?

They are notorious for trying to run people off before benefits kick in and or are vested

They did the math and gamble that it costs more to provide benefits than replace a person
That’s far from a new or unique strategy for a number of companies.

How do you know when and if he is involve
I think he'd have more success as an OC if Dino would quit meddling. I think today's scheme was at least 85% Beck.
The Dino is meddling when things go bad a CEO when they don’t is such nonsense. The staff took a huge risk today and it worked, they won the game. Sure they beat a bad team but it was Pitt who has owned us and a win is a win

Last edited:
Kinda funny cuse beats an absolute horrendous historically bad Pitt team with a QB doing backflips and physically in pain after every throw with it’s first ACC win in a horrible conference and the word extension is mentioned?

a run on sentence is the only way to include all the insanity.
Exactly. Context matters- the win feels great and the kids (and coaches) deserve it. But resorting to a gimmick offense to beat a 2-7 Pitt squad is an indication of how much trouble the program is in. Hence why a change is needed.

I missed the announcement that Syracuse transitioned to a Service Academy. 382 yds.rushing / 17 yds. Passing
I’ll get some red heels thrown at me for this but I like this style of football, and wouldn’t mind at all if we installed something more like this going forward. I like watching the service academies play football.

Is it sustainable in the ACC? Probably not but I like watching it.

It amazes me with zero passing game to be able to win any game. Happy for the team today and no complaints they touched it out against a team I hate and for all the frustrating moments this year are one win away from a bowl game
Nahh. 2009 Georgia Tech (#13)had less than 6 completions a game. Won 11 games and the ACC. Over 3000 yards rushing. You win any way you can.

There’s a company within the industry I work in that goes through all levels of management people roughly every three years. It’s known to a point many external recruiters won’t work with them anymore, and anyone with skill knows going there is a potential career death sentence. The result is they hire people that don’t have qualification for the job they take, or the awareness of what a bad decision it is - and the cycle repeats itself.

We’re trapped in a spot where becoming “that school” is a risk if we:
1) Fire a coach who had potential to get us to 7 wins, but we pulled the pin early.
2) Fire a coach who got us to seven regular season wins and the first back-to back bowl games with the same head coach in over two decades.

That’s why firing him last Monday would have been incredibly short sighted and stupid. I can’t see two more wins here, we’ll get to seven losses and make a change.

(And I know guys here scream “but it’s been eight years!!!!” - and while that might seem super compelling to them, it isn’t to anyone outside of this bubble. We’re already seeing articles about how hard a job Syracuse is; that turns into an avalanche and the main national narrative if we fire in either of the two scenarios I listed. Which will make getting a qualified coach harder, which will make turning things around unlikely, which will mean we’re back to square one in three years looking for a replacement in a job justifiably viewed in the business as a career killer).

Nobody is going to bat an eye for a school firing a coach with one of the worst tenure records in the country and an incredibly bad record against ACC competition. If anything, everyone thinks we’re mismanaged because he’s still here, not because he could get fired with a winning record this year. Especially in the coaching world. This isn’t corporate America or anything close to it.

I’ll get some red heels thrown at me for this but I like this style of football, and wouldn’t mind at all if we installed something more like this going forward. I like watching the service academies play football.

Is it sustainable in the ACC? Probably not but I like watching it.
I will say this, I could use another 10-12 pass plays but I think Syracuse needs to commit to something on offense as far as an identity and stick to it. When it works they will be much tougher to beat when they get stuffed we will most likely get beat but at least you can recruit and develop talent for it and exploit certain defense

Don't be afraid of making the same mistake as firing P

P lost support from the school and still got a bowl game in his final year

Dino is barely scrapping to potentially his 3rd bowl in 8 years as a HC

Different situations IMO

I will say this, I could use another 10-12 pass plays but I think Syracuse needs to commit to something on offense as far as an identity and stick to it. When it works they will be much tougher to beat when they get stuffed we will most likely get beat but at least you can recruit and develop talent for it and exploit certain defense
We could be a very desirable destination for offensive linemen running a triple option offense. Plus we wouldn’t be getting blown out as we would be controlling the clock.

Don't be afraid of making the same mistake as firing P

P lost support from the school and still got a bowl game in his final year

Dino is barely scrapping to potentially his 3rd bowl in 8 years as a HC

Different situations IMO
If they keep him if team gets a bowl, they better land a good portal QB. Next year in theory looks as easy schedule wise as this should have been

If they keep him if team gets a bowl, they better land a good portal QB. Next year in theory looks as easy schedule wise as this should have been

Yeah even if the transfer portal era is there a QB good enough to get Dino an extension in a must win year? Any QB with only 1 year left that isn't going to the NFL is probably looking for a big time program

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom