Sports is an entertainment business | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sports is an entertainment business

I'm not mad but talking about whether someone is drinking is rude. Some people have serious life issues with that. I am lucky. I never have. I don't like the stuff. Be careful throwing those words around. And we once had a poster who bought a love potion from a fortune teller and wanted legal help suing said fortune teller. It's a board joke now.
my post was never personal against you but its clear sometimes that i just need to give up

Hard to argue a lot of it.

Also MSU just beat Michigan down Langford and ward. Pretty amazing.
In case anyone was wondering what the high pick and roll is supposed to look like, Winston and Tillman ran it to perfection all night against Michigan. Look forward to the day we do that.

Our football coach gets that. Jb did at one time. But not anymore. We are not enjoyable to watch. I can live with playing zone 40 minutes a game. But we are boring to watch on offense. Even when we win. What we need most...a true pt guard. Not a converted 2 or 3. A pt that can make a shot. That can drive and dish. And we have had them in spades before. We need a 5 that doesn't need to be able to go to the corner to block a shot. That's dumb. We need a 5 that we can lob a pass down low and get a hoop when we haven't scored for 3 minutes. Give me those two things and I'm happy. The worst thing that has happened to our program was JB being on the pics staff for 3 turns. He picked up this iso ball. And he and Hop weren't around to recruit when we could only have two coaches on the road. G-mac and red were outmatched on the road. This is coach cal. this is coach izzo this is coach Miller. this is ass't coach G-mac. Not the same.

And think about it. If you willfully give up a functioning point guard AND a 5 or at least a 4 who can do damage in the post, you have forfeited a huge part of what any program has traditionally considered an efficient offense, even with a number of guys who can hit from 3.

These things may not be the only reason we appear to have precious little ball movement, but they're a big part of it.

Last edited:
What is so hard for you to understand? I am okay with the zone but not that part of it.
And I am ok with the zone but not that part where he uses it all the time. It’s a fantasy.

The ACC is a business and it took care of one of its assets by getting them to 9-9 in conference play which should get them in to the dance.

The ACC is a business and it took care of one of its assets by getting them to 9-9 in conference play which should get them in to the dance.

If you think this had everything to do with officials, then you have your head in the sand. But I'm sure you're just looking for a reaction like usual, and I engaged you like I shouldn't have.

If you think this had everything to do with officials, then you have your head in the sand. But I'm sure you're just looking for a reaction like usual, and I engaged you like I shouldn't have.
Another game where we have a big lead and one sided whistle blowing gets the other team back in it by halftime. They end up with 30 free throws and we get 17. Their guys were physical on our guys all game. Are these invalid observations? I'm not looking to get a reaction as much as I would like to curtail the obligatory post loss bashing of the coach and players. Maybe that's why we do so much better in the Tourney than in league play, we actually get to compete in fairly officiated games.

Last edited:
A lot of great points in this conversation:
- to the OP, agree with you wholeheartedly... I also think our coach got old and turned into Bobby Bowden. I think we look at Coach K and think if he can do what he does at his age why can’t JB. Maybe Coach K is the exception not the rule?
- to the poster who wonders what if we are mediocre for three years and then JB retires... we don’t have to wonder, we can look to the football program. We will have a long stretch of not being relevant until we find the next true coach
- to those who think we willfully gave up on having functional 1s and 5s... we haven’t given up we have struck out in recruiting. If you look at the players whom we have been going after we have offered a ton of 5s and 1s, we just failed to close any of them. Our recruiting strategy specific to those two positions has been tremendously flawed for some reason. It’s especially shocking at the 1 given we have three former 1s on the bench who were all very successful college players

It’s going to get worse before it gets better from a recruiting stand point so I really hope the 2019 class really develops.

did we sell out the carrier dome for the duke game cuz the fans wanted to see syracuse or zion ?

I wouldn’t say that’s a part of the zone. It’s something that happens 1-2x a game because our forwards are out of position or there’s a scramble following great ball movement. It’s the C trying to make a play instead of allowing an absolute wide open look. Sure, we could tell the C to never leave the lane but sometimes instincts take over.

Agreed, there's folly in thinking every time a player does something it's because the coach told him to do precisely that in exactly that situation.

- to the OP, agree with you wholeheartedly... I also think our coach got old and turned into Bobby Bowden. I think we look at Coach K and think if he can do what he does at his age why can’t JB. Maybe Coach K is the exception not the rule?
- to the poster who wonders what if we are mediocre for three years and then JB retires... we don’t have to wonder, we can look to the football program. We will have a long stretch of not being relevant until we find the next true coach
- to those who think we willfully gave up on having functional 1s and 5s... we haven’t given up we have struck out in recruiting. If you look at the players whom we have been going after we have offered a ton of 5s and 1s, we just failed to close any of them. Our recruiting strategy specific to those two positions has been tremendously flawed for some reason. It’s especially shocking at the 1 given we have three former 1s on the bench who were all very successful college players

It’s going to get worse before it gets better from a recruiting stand point so I really hope the 2019 class really develops.
Our football program situation was a lot different that basketball. Football doesn’t have even the slightest bit of history compared to the basketball program. We were a top 5 program from 2010-2014. Football could never say that they were a top 5 program at anytime. We have a legendary coach, amazing facilities, etc. If we turn into what the football program used to be, there are some very serious issues with coaching. Cause we should never be that low as a program. It’s the truth

Our football program situation was a lot different that basketball. Football doesn’t have even the slightest bit of history compared to the basketball program. We were a top 5 program from 2010-2014. Football could never say that they were a top 5 program at anytime. We have a legendary coach, amazing facilities, etc. If we turn into what the football program used to be, there are some very serious issues with coaching. Cause we should never be that low as a program. It’s the truth

bigstock_Saloon_Doors_With_Sign_3184082.jpg

you new in town kid ?

Thanks for confirming your youth.

Holy Chit did you go to Syracuse?
The freakin’ Ernie Davis Heisman is always visible.
We have the greatest RB of alltime Jim Brown.
Larry Csonka, Floyd Little, Jim Nance, all studs in the NFL.
John Mackey has the TE award of the year award named after him.
He was a stud in the NFL.
Marvin Harrison HOF
Donovan McNabb damn good
Dwight Freeney future HOF.

Our football program was a clusterbleep for 4 years because of Greg Robinson.
We were mediocre under Doug Marrone and were .500 for 4 years with 2 bowl wins.
Scott Shafer’s mistake has been corrected by Dino.
Being top 5 now is a lot harder in college football because of the depth required.
Our football program is not a little sister of the poor historically.

Last edited:

I actually agree with you about the 5’s being mostly a swing and miss scenario.

I think the lack of proper 1’s is a lot more nuanced as to willfulness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom