Spring Game and recruiting visits | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game and recruiting visits

DCCuse

Tailgate Buffet Legend
Pity that the team didn't choose to take advantage of our great Hoops team and do one during one of our home basketball games, but it is what it is. They are planning a JR Day to coincide with the spring game with two plusses being the recruits can see the team in action and hopefully will be nice weather when they visit.

One recruit who plans on being there and might be under the radar is Marist HS in Jersey City QB Kevin Parker. He is 6'4", 180 lbs and I hear is being recruited as an ATH. Doubt he will play QB atr the next level - more likely Safety or WR. I remember a teammate of his from this year's class Troy Garland was here visiting last year.

I know nothing of what a typical Jr Day experience entails outside of knowing that we have in the past used the bball atmosphere as a rah-rah/selling point.

However, I know all too well how crappy the Spring Game environment has been for quite some time. Sure hope HCDM has someone in marketing helping him plan a true experience and not just a walk-though of an empty Dome and a BBQ with the team after.

I know nothing of what a typical Jr Day experience entails outside of knowing that we have in the past used the bball atmosphere as a rah-rah/selling point.

However, I know all too well how crappy the Spring Game environment has been for quite some time. Sure hope HCDM has someone in marketing helping him plan a true experience and not just a walk-though of an empty Dome and a BBQ with the team after.
Have you ever watched any spring game? The only reason the SEC spring games have a better environment are the fans. Spring games are terrible everywhere, there's nothing you can do to make them seem better.

There are lots things you can do to make a spring game experience better. And, yes, they have nothing to do with the "game." These events are glorified ad/marketing vehicles for the program/school. Want to run a shitty ad or marketing stunt, don't be surprised with what people say/think about your product.

There are lots things you can do to make a spring game experience better. And, yes, they have nothing to do with the "game." These events are glorified ad/marketing vehicles for the program/school. Want to run a shitty ad or marketing stunt, don't be surprised with what people say/think about your product.

This. SU has never drawn any kind of real crowd for a spring game. When I was up there the student body didn't even know about the game.

Another concern that I have with the Spring Game-Junior Day is the date. April 21. Same day as UConn, Maryland, Ohio State, and Penn State spring games. Good luck to the staff getting top kids from MD, Ohio, PA, and to some extent NYC metro to come up to Cuse that weekend. It seems the staff is taking an unnecessary risk and putting all their eggs in one basket on this one.

I know I have been quoted on these boards as saying a Junior Day shouldn't be highlighted with a basketball game. But when your team is ranked #1 most of the year, you should take advantage of it. Hell, rutgers just had an impromptu Junior Day which consisted of nothing more than lunch and the Cuse-RU game and their top kids showed up and the day ended with their first commitment.

HCDM should have been flanked by recruits at every weekend home hoops game this season. He should have personally invited their top guys (in small groups) to come take in a game with him. I believe this would have been very effective.

To recap, don't be surprised if the Spring Game-Junior Day backfires and is a big miss for the staff. Hope not, but legit fear.

This. SU has never drawn any kind of real crowd for a spring game. When I was up there the student body didn't even know about the game.

Another concern that I have with the Spring Game-Junior Day is the date. April 21. Same day as UConn, Maryland, Ohio State, and Penn State spring games. Good luck to the staff getting top kids from MD, Ohio, PA, and to some extent NYC metro to come up to Cuse that weekend. It seems the staff is taking an unnecessary risk and putting all their eggs in one basket on this one.

I know I have been quoted on these boards as saying a Junior Day shouldn't be highlighted with a basketball game. But when your team is ranked #1 most of the year, you should take advantage of it. Hell, rutgers just had an impromptu Junior Day which consisted of nothing more than lunch and the Cuse-RU game and their top kids showed up and the day ended with their first commitment.

HCDM should have been flanked by recruits at every weekend home hoops game this season. He should have personally invited their top guys (in small groups) to come take in a game with him. I believe this would have been very effective.

To recap, don't be surprised if the Spring Game-Junior Day backfires and is a big miss for the staff. Hope not, but legit fear.

I agree with everything you said...I wonder if DM has "Hit the Wall"? I like the idea about a smaller select group being invited to a basketball game. Nothing rocks in Cuse like 30k+ at a BB game.

if you wanna draw the people to the spring game...you need luna halo

It genuinely surprises me that we don't see more interaction between the Football & Basketball sides of Manley. You'd think TGD would take advantage of the BBall team's strength to help trumpet up the Football squad.

Why not use the empty half of the dome for marketing the football squad. Set up some games for the kids & adults (Football toss games...Extra point try's). Park the coaching staff & some players out there for autographs, questions & pictures. Get these 30k fans interested in football again.

Give away some schwag. Give away one football season ticket package per game (cheap seats, of course). Some kinda "Club 44" giveaway.

1000% agree w/ this. We have not done a good job of getting guys on campus, particularly in the early stages of recruiting. It feels like we have guys on campus about 3 times per year. How do you not get guys up to watch an SU B-ball game on a consistent basis. I guarantee it's a MUCH bigger draw than watching spring practice. We should do both-I wonder if Gross is involved with this. it seems like he'd be good at something like this-He knows how to market. That's a big part of recruiting.

Good Post! If i were HCDM i would reserve a block of 15-25 seats for every Saturday Home game from Jan-Mar. Decent seats too. I would try to get 4-5 kids and their families for each game. I would then do a spring game Junior Day. It should be the goal to get as many kids on Campus as you can. Increase your chances and odds of landing these recruits. Its like asking the hot chick to the dance, the more you ask, the better chance you get to taking one of them.

Good Post! If i were HCDM i would reserve a block of 15-25 seats for every Saturday Home game from Jan-Mar. Decent seats too. I would try to get 4-5 kids and their families for each game. I would then do a spring game Junior Day. It should be the goal to get as many kids on Campus as you can. Increase your chances and odds of landing these recruits. Its like asking the hot chick to the dance, the more you ask, the better chance you get to taking one of them.

Best part is, football recruits get free basketball tickets! You're telling me that HCDM can't dangle that carrot out at a kid to get them to visit? Even if the hoops game is the only reason they come, you have won the battle. It's all about getting the kids to campus.

The date of the spring game keeps jumping out at me. It is going to be tough to get top kids here that Saturday. Very tough. Most schools use their Spring Game as a supplemental junior day for b-list kids. It is going to be Cuse's only one. Hypothetical, but if you are a top kid from pa or OH, are you coming to cuse for their spring game or OSU/PSU for theirs? Numbers are going to be down from a recruiting standpoint for SU's spring game this year.

Honestly, I would spend my own time and money working with SU on this type of marketing/buzz building crap if they want. Anyone who feels they can make the offer to someone in power up there on my behalf, go to town. Happy to share what my marketing/PR credentials are.

BTW: I'll again throw out my idea of honoring Tom Coughlin and having him bring that big old shiny trophy with him up to campus. If they are trying to do this for the Spring Game and get other NFLers there, god bless.