Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM

4) There is NO marching band in April. As someone else pointed out, SUMB is a Fall semester thing only. Band members have to turn in their uniforms after football season ends.

Sour Sitrus did play at the game, but they don't march.
Is that the case at other universities?

If that’s the case and it very well could be…

That should have been explained to Coach Brown BEFORE the game.

But since sour played at the game, I think he was just looking to have the band on the steps of Hendricks

Absolutely no reason for them to not have done that with the cheerleaders there.

Anyway, I’m sure they will work it out
We don’t know if it was discussed or not - or explained or not.

I’m not saying the admin didn’t drop the ball in some way, shape or form. But the way to handle it is t have a conversation like a man with the person face to face. Not gain the upper hand through the media by bitching about it. That’s fighting dirty.

We don’t know if it was discussed or not - or explained or not.

I’m not saying the admin didn’t drop the ball in some way, shape or form. But the way to handle it is t have a conversation like a man with the person face to face. Not gain the upper hand through the media by bitching about it. That’s fighting dirty.

Sure doesn’t seem like it was discussed with him before it……..

He expected something and it wasn’t delivered by the University.

He’s going to hold the school accountable. Just like he holds himself and others accountable.

He didn’t really bash the university at all, just stated that WAS NOT what he wanted.

Like I said, I am sure they will work this out.

Sure doesn’t seem like it was discussed with him before it……..

He expected something and it wasn’t delivered by the University.

He’s going to hold the school accountable. Just like he holds himself and others accountable.

He didn’t really bash the university at all, just stated that WAS NOT what he wanted.

Like I said, I am sure they will work this out.
I am sure they will work it out. However, it could have been worked out in private. I have worked with many coaches in the past. They hear what they want. It also could have been communicated to the person who was in the meeting representing football what the plan was - and the message didn’t get to where it needed to go. There are a lot of people involved in these sorts of things and I understand how he might be frustrated. Just didn’t like the way he took the offensive in the press conference. He seemed like he was annoyed in that from the jump and looking for things - the door closing comment was passive aggressive and seemingly not necessary.

I am sure they will work it out. However, it could have been worked out in private. I have worked with many coaches in the past. They hear what they want. It also could have been communicated to the person who was in the meeting representing football what the plan was - and the message didn’t get to where it needed to go. There are a lot of people involved in these sorts of things and I understand how he might be frustrated. Just didn’t like the way he took the offensive in the press conference. He seemed like he was annoyed in that from the jump and looking for things - the door closing comment was passive aggressive and seemingly not necessary.
Hes a first time head coach, he’ll figure out what is and isn’t for press. Players and coaches signed up to be scrutinized - part of the job. Whoever on campus coordinates the band (music department?) and the university facilities/parking people that were supposed to send them in the right direction to start probably aren’t used to a public critique and may rub them the wrong way.

And it may hurt the next one if they’re not on his side. These aren’t athletics people used to this kind of thing… this would be like the people in here having a miscommunication and Mike in accounting going out and holding a press conference to talk about it to be seen by thousands lol. Those music department academia types aren’t gonna like that one

It’s going to be a massive thing.

Couple things worked against him yesterday…

1) weather, it was cold and nasty, hard for a lot of people to go out and be on the quad for an exhibition game. First game or not that’s a tough pull

2) The parking situation was not good yesterday. You had people leaving the lax game and people trying to park for spring game/quad walk at the same time. I’m sure this tied up A LOT of people who intended on being there for it.

3) If events had been between the two games in the quad it would have been perfect opportunity. I feel this was a miss but it is what it is.
Agree. My son and I hung out for it but it was very windy and chilly. It was a diehard crowd and families. There was also no organization to any of it. Failure by the organization. They could have promoted it to people leaving the lax game. Stuff on quad. Giveaways etc.

People griped for years that Dino said a lot of words but really didn’t say anything to the press. Now we have a coach who doesn’t mince words and people don’t like that either.
I am one person. I am sure I am in the minority. That’s fine. Just want to point out small things that could turn into big things if things don’t go swimmingly right away.

People griped for years that Dino said a lot of words but really didn’t say anything to the press. Now we have a coach who doesn’t mince words and people don’t like that either.
I actually like Dino’s press style.

But at the end of the day literally nothing else matters. Fran and every coach before him is paid to win games. As long as there’s no major gaffes or issues surrounding the team, nothing else really matters

Hes a first time head coach, he’ll figure out what is and isn’t for press. Players and coaches signed up to be scrutinized - part of the job. Whoever on campus coordinates the band (music department?) and the university facilities/parking people that were supposed to send them in the right direction to start probably aren’t used to a public critique and may rub them the wrong way.

And it may hurt the next one if they’re not on his side. These aren’t athletics people used to this kind of thing… this would be like the people in here having a miscommunication and Mike in accounting going out and holding a press conference to talk about it to be seen by thousands lol. Those music department academia types aren’t gonna like that one
That’s all I’m saying, more or less. I understand he’s a first time head coach. I don’t think he’s above constructive commentary about things that happen. Largely it’s been positive regarding recruiting. It’s great. I’m excited! Just didn’t like the press conference. Higher Ed is a nuanced place and if you go in like a bulldozer, it isn’t necessarily helpful.

The fact that they did nothing to give people a reason to hang around the quad between the games is still startling to me?

Its April, the weather is more often cold than warm, so get people out of the wind and maybe they stay for the quad walk.

If it had been raining you would have had team walk with no one around at all.

NIL is a thing too? something would have been worked out with other athletes to do NIL stuff couldnt it?

throw a projector up show a movie? some highlights of fb? interviews?

Attention to detail is important, whether it's on the field, practice prep or a walk into the stadium.

I'm not going to fault a guy for expecting that from everyone around him.

I'm confident it will get sorted out. As to the press conference I will take Coach Fran's style over anything Dino did. Be transparent where you can and answer questions to the best that you can, in this day of social media I would rather have my words being printed vs what was heard by your uncles, cousins, dog sitter.

I don't like the airing of dirty laundry in public. And there was some snark about closing doors and the mic not working. Appreciate the honesty but there are times and places for certain things. And some things can be said behind closed doors.

Personal opinion. Also, he swears a lot under his breath. Nitpicky but saying 'sh**' with the Donovan Brown question is not appropriate. Again, personal opinion.
I like the fact that he is demanding. That personality is what will make his teams champions - do not settle for mediocrity. Kids will raise to whatever bar you set for them. Perhaps that will work with the adults running SU as well.

Related to your point, I feel it's only a matter of time before he starts calling out fans (he's been doing it in veiled ways since day one - we need you to buy in, talk trash on twitter, give to NIL, etc..). Do some fans need it to push them to support the team? I believe so. That said, I hope he realizes how beaten up this fan base has been for over 20 years. I believe he is correct when he says, "I guess we have to win." Yes. We are at the point of "we've been here before and have been let down before."

I am super excited and I do believe. I've bought in. But this isn't Georgia or A&M where people show up like it's Sunday church.

But I do hope he can bring it to that level.

I am one person. I am sure I am in the minority. That’s fine. Just want to point out small things that could turn into big things if things don’t go swimmingly right away.
If he continues to recruit and win it will turn into nothing. The fans and community have been waiting two decades for a turn around. A turn around I might add that most said was impossible at Syracuse. I’m happy he holds everyone to the same standard.

If that’s the case and it very well could be…

That should have been explained to Coach Brown BEFORE the game.

But since sour played at the game, I think he was just looking to have the band on the steps of Hendricks

Absolutely no reason for them to not have done that with the cheerleaders there.

Anyway, I’m sure they will work it out
I was at Varsity at 4:30pm, and there were 6 cheerleaders in there eating pizza. They didn't look like they were scheduled to be anywhere else.

If he continues to recruit and win it will turn into nothing. The fans and community have been waiting two decades for a turn around. A turn around I might add that most said was impossible at Syracuse. I’m happy he holds everyone to the same standard.
You can hold people to a standard while understanding Rome wasn’t built in a night. You think Wildhack is going to get on him if we win 6 games next year? I don’t (even though he probably should with our schedule).

Look at the marketing staff at SU - I do not believe we are staffed like Georgia’s staff. In fact I know it. I also know we care about lacrosse - guess what, we had a huge game that is a revenue generator (ticket sales) 5 hours earlier. What should the staff, who is not generally needed as much for a spring game, supposed to focus on? Also as has been said before, the marching band doesn’t exist in the spring. Someone should have communicated that to him, but it probably should have been his ops person. Or likely the person that hasn’t started yet (Ryan Kelly, Sr. Associate AD).

It was the first time - it will get better. I also think they will need to invest in areas not only football centric to make the experience markedly different and better.

Look at what other schools do. Events/ tours of the stadiums/ merch tents/bands/food
I don’t think the AD is staffed for that sort of thing. And you need all hands on deck to make that happen across a University. Higher Ed works at glacier like pace. Everywhere. It takes time.

So you don't think the MB members could figure out how to do something for the event even without uniforms? There are tons of pep hands at schools that do all kind of events thru a school year around the country.

did they ask the MB kids if they wanted to be part of it?
There is a VERY high overlap between marching band and pep band participation. Sitrus is essentially the Pride, save for the marching.

My hunch is that there was a lack of communication between Brown and the AD/Dome. Brown wanted the band there, and they were. In the stands.

Now everyone knows more clearly what his ask truly is. It's early, there are going to be growing pains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom