Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game April 20th | 7 PM

He's talented. He has an opportunity. So, it's up to him
QB is more about instinct, feel, timing and smarts. Bummer we lost Lampson to Stanford, he seemed to have a great football IQ. Arm strength and running certainly matter maybe it clicks for Del Rio but he is not a rookie

Back to football………probably mentioned somewhere in this thread but because it’s so long…..a guy that really stood out to me last night was Goddard. He was all over the field making big hits. He will definitely be moving up after what my naked eye saw in this scrimmage.

We don’t know if it was discussed or not - or explained or not.

I’m not saying the admin didn’t drop the ball in some way, shape or form. But the way to handle it is t have a conversation like a man with the person face to face. Not gain the upper hand through the media by bitching about it. That’s fighting dirty.
Nah. Doug tried to be the bigger man and burned himself out of his dream job.

They need a kick in the ass and the way to do that and get quick action is to publicly shame

There is a VERY high overlap between marching band and pep band participation. Sitrus is essentially the Pride, save for the marching.

My hunch is that there was a lack of communication between Brown and the AD/Dome. Brown wanted the band there, and they were. In the stands.

Now everyone knows more clearly what his ask truly is. It's early, there are going to be growing pains.

Definitely going to be growing pains

I think this presser showed us that Coach Brown will hold everyone accountable.

It’s about time, Syracuse and the fans need it.

We better PACK that place for the Ohio game.

LETS GO ORANGE

As for Brown's demeanor in his pressers overall...

One can argue (and the one posting this has argued) that the decline of the program was, in part, due to Pasqualoni's unwillingness to make public the idiotic way SU was handling football revenue.

SU's utter failure to properly fund all aspects of the program was enormously destructive. While I respect Paul being a company man, he didn't do anyone any favors by staying quiet.

Marrone took a similar approach, it seems like. And while that may be noble, it doesn't affect change.

Brown's job is on the line. If he doesn't get the support he feels he needs then he should verbalize that, privately and publicly. The other approach clearly didn't work at all.

There is a VERY high overlap between marching band and pep band participation. Sitrus is essentially the Pride, save for the marching.

My hunch is that there was a lack of communication between Brown and the AD/Dome. Brown wanted the band there, and they were. In the stands.

Now everyone knows more clearly what his ask truly is. It's early, there are going to be growing pains.
All this chatter related to some band playing songs on April 20th outside? Can’t say I follow this. My level of care couldn’t be lower.

Agreed. I just don't get making a big deal about this. I just don't.

If a big deal should be made about something, it should be HCFB wearing a Philadelphia Eagles jersey on his first Quad Walk. ;) (Don't @ me. I know exactly whose jersey he was wearing).

IMO, he should be wearing a Syracuse varsity jacket. Period. Only semi-joking here.

Yes - the Venn diagram of SSS is pretty much a small circle mostly inside a much larger circle of SUMB.

I’d estimate 95%+ of SSS is also in SUMB.

Now - with foresight and the knowledge that this is a thing they want to do for the Spring Game in all future years, I’m sure there’s a way they can pull it off.

They’d prolly need to have volunteers from SUMB opt into playing on the steps of Hendricks for the Quad Walk.

They’d need to arrange for those people to get uniforms out of storage, and maybe 1-2 practices the week prior.

Unless the only expectation is that they play the Alma Mater and Down The Field.
Any SUMB member can play those in their sleep.

Assuming they got a handful of drum players, they could also have the band lead the team over to and into the Dome, with the drummers playing a “street beat”.
That would be a nice touch, and make it more fun for the SUMB kids too.

Maybe give them some free concessions for their trouble.

If a big deal should be made about something, it should be HCFB wearing a Philadelphia Eagles jersey on his first Quad Walk. ;) (Don't @ me. I know exactly whose jersey he was wearing).

IMO, he should be wearing a Syracuse varsity jacket. Period. Only semi-joking here.

All a move for him to try and bring in more alumni and more donations

Trust me Fran Brown is no dummy and he knows that a big key to success is $$$$

Yes let’s get some chatter going there. Also semi joking but what a weird thing to wear. We should all call out Fran on that. Everyone should just call everyone out every time.

The only person who should be wearing an Eagles jersey associated with anything SU is the program guy who has been there for decades. Speaking of him, I saw him yesterday for the first time in years. Good for him. (and obviously he had the McNabb jersey on).

Last edited:
I like the fact that he is demanding. That personality is what will make his teams champions - do not settle for mediocrity. Kids will raise to whatever bar you set for them. Perhaps that will work with the adults running SU as well.

Related to your point, I feel it's only a matter of time before he starts calling out fans (he's been doing it in veiled ways since day one - we need you to buy in, talk trash on twitter, give to NIL, etc..). Do some fans need it to push them to support the team? I believe so. That said, I hope he realizes how beaten up this fan base has been for over 20 years. I believe he is correct when he says, "I guess we have to win." Yes. We are at the point of "we've been here before and have been let down before."

I am super excited and I do believe. I've bought in. But this isn't Georgia or A&M where people show up like it's Sunday church.

But I do hope he can bring it to that level.
If that happens I’m very excited for the same people who love his demanding style to turn around and say “wait no, I didn’t mean to me. Everyone else but me is fine. Here’s my list of excuses why:”

We don’t know if it was discussed or not - or explained or not.

I’m not saying the admin didn’t drop the ball in some way, shape or form. But the way to handle it is t have a conversation like a man with the person face to face. Not gain the upper hand through the media by bitching about it. That’s fighting dirty.
I am pretty positive if he talked about it in interview, he talked to them before. There had to have been a conversation.

Yes let’s get some chatter going there. Also semi joking but what a weird thing to wear. We should all call out Fran on that. Everyone should just call everyone out every time.

The only person who should be wearing an Eagles jersey associated with anything SU is the program guy who has been there for decades. Speaking of him, I saw him yesterday for the first time in years. Good for him. (and obviously he had the McNabb jersey on).
Program Guy must be on the third iteration of that jersey. I've never seen him without it, either at the Dome or at baseball games.

If that happens I’m very excited for the same people who love his demanding style to turn around and say “wait no, I didn’t mean to me. Everyone else but me is fine. Here’s my list of excuses why:”
Hey, man. Human nature!

As for Brown's demeanor in his pressers overall...

One can argue (and the one posting this has argued) that the decline of the program was, in part, due to Pasqualoni's unwillingness to make public the idiotic way SU was handling football revenue.

SU's utter failure to properly fund all aspects of the program was enormously destructive. While I respect Paul being a company man, he didn't do anyone any favors by staying quiet.

Marrone took a similar approach, it seems like. And while that may be noble, it doesn't affect change.

Brown's job is on the line. If he doesn't get the support he feels he needs then he should verbalize that, privately and publicly. The other approach clearly didn't work at all.
Agreed...too many University auxiliary staff members are probably used to providing "C" level support and getting away with it and Fran is expecting "A" level responses.

Same goes for the fans...we need to up our game if we want to stay in Big Boy FB

If the Oline can block a little we have the backs to move the chains.

But the teams will also have to honor the pass for the first time in forever as well. They cant load the box if the oline can be decent.

I am pretty positive if he talked about it in interview, he talked to them before. There had to have been a conversation.
are you sure he was in the meeting to discuss logistics? Or was it one of his staffers? Lines of communication take time to be established. He may have thought that. And it might be true, but I’ve seen a lot of these scenarios played out that aren’t anyone’s fault. Growing pains, understand intent of message, etc. Don’t be so quick to blame or take sides.

Hastings played on the edge. I wouldnt be suprised to see Jobity moved inside this fall.
I’ve think he is a 3.

Seeing EFC running with the ones is unexpected.

Where was Perry playing? I saw a guy with dreads on the inside on the 2’s playing DT.

Agreed...too many University auxiliary staff members are probably used to providing "C" level support and getting away with it and Fran is expecting "A" level responses.

Same goes for the fans...we need to up our game if we want to stay in Big Boy FB
Likewise, the auxiliary staff members need to be provided “A” level staffing, salaries, etc. You get what you pay for.

Oh boy which one of you was asking for autographs mid game
I was sitting right there. It’s basically all the kids and the parent let them run wild. There were a few players but a lot of alumni were signing.

I was watching Diggs personally and he wasnt going 100%. I get why. I know it wasnt all out cause i watched his game against Bama a few years ago and he killed their ot who is now in NFL. I watched Little Spoon also and i like him at Tackle. Bradford and Petry look improved. For some reason i didnt remember seeing Hastings at Dt. Did i possibly miss him some how.
Mang might be most improved but Bradford and Petry as 1’s is crazy. Looks like More Is down again.

are you sure he was in the meeting to discuss logistics? Or was it one of his staffers? Lines of communication take time to be established. He may have thought that. And it might be true, but I’ve seen a lot of these scenarios played out that aren’t anyone’s fault. Growing pains, understand intent of message, etc. Don’t be so quick to blame or take sides.
It could have been. I know one thing, it wont happen again though.

If the Oline can block a little we have the backs to move the chains.

But the teams will also have to honor the pass for the first time in forever as well. They cant load the box if the oline can be decent.

What I *love* is -
Kyle can get it outta there in a hurry when he needs to.

That big pass play to Peña, he threw it like a second after receiving the snap.

I was shocked how far down the field that throw was, that quickly.

Normally a pass that quick is a hitch or slant, like 5 yards past the LOS.

I don’t think I saw McCord get happy feet even once.
He stepped up or over a few times to buy himself time, but never looked rushed or stressed while doing so.
Dude is one cool cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom