Spring Game vs Midnight Madness? | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game vs Midnight Madness?

Shermthegeneral

Starter
I'm more if a basketball guy and don't pay as much attention to practices and some of the lower publicized things around the football program. It seems to me that the spring game could turn into something like Midnight madness! They should turn it into an event just like midnight madness. Maybe bring in a high energy music act, former player, autograph session, give always, family activities in and outside of the dome sorta like they have at some baseball and other sports arenas. This event is a marketing tool just like the signs all over New York City and Yankee stadium as well as an event that young children can come to and begin to become fans of the program.

We've been having the same discussions. Personally I think they should have rib feapst or chicken wing festival that coincides

I'm more if a basketball guy and don't pay as much attention to practices and some of the lower publicized things around the football program. It seems to me that the spring game could turn into something like Midnight madness! They should turn it into an event just like midnight madness. Maybe bring in a high energy music act, former player, autograph session, give always, family activities in and outside of the dome sorta like they have at some baseball and other sports arenas. This event is a marketing tool just like the signs all over New York City and Yankee stadium as well as an event that young children can come to and begin to become fans of the program.
They have an autograph session and sometimes former players come. But I don't think you're going to get a high energy act to play at noon on a saturday for essentially 5k people in a terrible (acoustically) setting for music. It's not going to be midnight madness ever. Michigan only drew 20k to theirs. Their stadium holds 100k+

I seem to remember a musical act a few years back. They weren't bad, but damn those acoustics were horrible!

By the way, this is the first year that I've brought my son. How does the autograph session work? Is it set up on the field after the scrimmage?

They have an autograph session and sometimes former players come. But I don't think you're going to get a high energy act to play at noon on a saturday for essentially 5k people in a terrible (acoustically) setting for music. It's not going to be midnight madness ever. Michigan only drew 20k to theirs. Their stadium holds 100k+
I was thinking they should have a family event that is both inside and outside of the dome. Set up tents with food, activities for kids and adults, music acts etc. I live in NJ and I've been to NY Red Bulls games where they have pre game activities for fans and kids with a live DJ, soccer skill booths, food, giveaways and other things. There is a single A baseball team that has a whole kid zone at the park with kid rides, bounces houses and other activities. As I said before, make it a family event not just a boring football game (in the eyes if a child)

Bingo, people need to stop worrying about SU trying to get a huge crowd for the spring game its simply not going to happen unless SU is coming off a one loss BCS bowl type season and even then SU would have to throw in a ton of freebies which as Extreme noted attracts non fans who just want to start trouble.

I seem to remember a musical act a few years back. They weren't bad, but damn those acoustics were horrible!

By the way, this is the first year that I've brought my son. How does the autograph session work? Is it set up on the field after the scrimmage?
Yes, if it is like the past, they will bring in tables and chairs and even give out posters the kids can use to get their autographs. The players will also pose for pictures and talk to kids...they are very accessible. Really good event to bring a kid to.

I wish they would have it at 6 or 7. I think there would be a ton more students and casual fans. It gives people more time to tailgate and better weather to tailgate in, there is less of a chance that it will interfere with childrens' spring sports, and night games just seem like more of an event. Look at our crowds for those Friday night games vs. the Saturday nooners.

Not a bad idea .Midnight madness is more self contained in terms of location and closeness to the players.Football doesn't provide that sense of intimacy.Those ideas are far beyond anything the AD could come up with.It compares to my idea that the home games for the team should be considered a family even with ideas you have posted. Encourage the whole family to WANT to come to the games including MOM.Getting 40K+ into the Dome shouldn't be a significant achievement ,it must become ho-hum now that we are in this conference with big time programs coming into town.:rolleyes:

Bingo, people need to stop worrying about SU trying to get a huge crowd for the spring game its simply not going to happen unless SU is coming off a one loss BCS bowl type season and even then SU would have to throw in a ton of freebies which as Extreme noted attracts non fans who just want to start trouble.

Yea I disagree. Syracuse is a hard nosed town. People will support a football team we can get behind. We support basketball because they win, but everyone I waiting for a football team we can be proud of. Syracuse is like buffalo Pittsburgh and cleveland. We keep building it'll come.

Why??? I don't see how a metro area of 600k can't support this team! It's the only team in town! If you market a "FUN" family event, people will go. To me, a scrimmage is a little boring for the whole family, I know my wife and kids would last 20-30 minutes. Rope off an area outside of the dome to allow people to go in and out, create a fun environment with food, music, games etc, people will come and it's popularity will grow.

Yes, if it is like the past, they will bring in tables and chairs and even give out posters the kids can use to get their autographs. The players will also pose for pictures and talk to kids...they are very accessible. Really good event to bring a kid to.

Thanks for the info. My 6 year old wanted to come, but he's got a tee ball game and chose to stay home. Kid admirably wanted to fulfill his commitment to his team. He must take after his mother!

Why??? I don't see how a metro area of 600k can't support this team! It's the only team in town! If you market a "FUN" family event, people will go. To me, a scrimmage is a little boring for the whole family, I know my wife and kids would last 20-30 minutes. Rope off an area outside of the dome to allow people to go in and out, create a fun environment with food, music, games etc, people will come and it's popularity will grow.

The problem is you think 600K people follow or care about the program, trust me they dont, we dont even have half of that. We struggle to get 40,000 for a top 10 opponent in November, how are we going to get 20K for a scrimmage in mid April with zero buzz or promotion? A family friendly "fun event" would draw maybe 500 additional people because most people would still find an excuse not to go ie the weather, parking, the start time etc etc. While I understand that someone like yourself would have more incentive to bring your wife and child if they were some other activities going on especially for young children its not something I honestly expect SU to do. I think a small area where the kids could play perhaps a bounce house or something would be nice but again this is the spring game not the State Fair, SU isnt going to spend the time and energy for all of that for a free event especially after what happened at midnight madness. The last thing SU wants is a young kid getting injured and opening that legal pandoras box. I understand people's frustrations but the spring game is there to showcase the SU football team, there not going to set up a carnival outside the dome.

I wish it was at night as opposed to during the afternoon. I probably can speak on behalf of a lot of parents with kids that Saturdays in the springtime are loaded between soccer, baseball and lacrosse. I know its tying me up for 5 hours this Saturday so making the spring game is impossible.

I wish it was at night as opposed to during the afternoon. I probably can speak on behalf of a lot of parents with kids that Saturdays in the springtime are loaded between soccer, baseball and lacrosse. I know it tying me up for 5 hours this Saturday so making the spring game is impossible.

Tough call for SU on that, the later you schedule it the more of the younger crowd you are going to lose, though you make a good point. Perhaps a late afternoon start would work out better but no matter what time they start its going to hurt a % of the fanbase.

Tough call for SU on that, the later you schedule it the more of the younger crowd you are going to lose, though you make a good point. Perhaps a late afternoon start would work out better but no matter what time they start its going to hurt a % of the fanbase.

I would love to see a 6pm start. That way you get people like me who would be finished with the kids games, practices and stuff to attend the game (with the kids).

I would love to see a 6pm start. That way you get people like me who would be finished with the kids games, practices and stuff to attend the game (with the kids).

I wonder if any other schools hold there spring game at a later time like that? I wouldnt be against a later start time but I wonder if SU wants the spring game going to 8-9PM? They probably want to get the recruits that are visiting out on the town by that part with there hosts and with the game ending after the dark you will probably lose younger families but gain those with older kids like yourself. Again its a tough balance for SU, I think if were talking about a Div 1 school down south like South Carolina, Georgia, CLemson, Ole Miss etc I think that would work well, you could make it an all day affair with a tailgate and great weather, outdoor game etc but in Syracuse not sure it would work out that well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom