Spring Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spring Game

Don't you know is all Doug has to do is loosen up and have some "fun" and everything will be OK. I think my dad use to tell me that when I was 11. What

Well, losing 5 in a row and losing a team to close the season is a sign of maybe him being too uptight. There have been a ton of suspensions for violations of team rules, it seems. Maybe it's just me. It also seems like we've had a lot of injuries.

Now, I understand how he had to re-instill toughness back into the program, but I'm starting to wonder how many of these problems may be self-inflicted. I'm not "out to get" Marrone. I thought last year should have had a better result, and since it didn't, he has less margin for error this year. Closing out the locals after making such a point of reaching out is kind of curious, and not a good sign, IMO. Maybe he's trying too hard.

And the result on the field ? Wow, Bud didn't do them any favors with that review. And you have to agree, I wanted to see us run the ball at a basic 3-4 yards per carry and score a few touchdowns. Is that too much to ask? Geez, that was just a dreadful advertisement for the coming season. I am afraid we have cause to be concerned about whether we can field a team that can execute a basic offense. You don't win in college football today scoring 17 points a game.

This could be a very bad time to have a 4-8 year, with a dreary offense that can't score and an undersized defense. I certainly hope it doesn't turn out that way, because we can't afford another rebuild. We need for Marrone to be successful.

But this is a HUGE year. Think about it - we had a little hope based on Shaffer's defense and a bowl and then a 5-2 record - should have been 6-1 - and then we fell apart. We have to turn it back around quickly. We must make another bowl this year, before we are off to the ACC. We need a huge recruiting year, too. Doesn't seem like we cashed in on the bowl game at Yankee Stadium in recruiting. Kind of the same level of class as we always seem to get - rated around 50-60.

Glad to hear things went good this weekend. Trey is coming up to SU to visit the guys this weekend. Too bad its not another recruiting visit..;)

He is excited to catch up with a lot of his original recruiting class guys.

This sideline demeanor complaint is among the most ridiculous things I've seen get traction on this board, but it's a pretty long list.
When you're losing, everything you do is wrong.Oh Lord

Glad to hear things went good this weekend. Trey is coming up to SU to visit the guys this weekend. Too bad its not another recruiting visit..;)

He is excited to catch up with a lot of his original recruiting class guys.

Great to hear Jerry. I hope all is well...

Good write up. Hey, it's April and there are a ton of injuries. I saw guys like Welsh working hard for 1st team snaps. A lot of guys – J. Smith, Sloan, Alexander, Chibane, I thought Lynch looked bigger – they've put in the offseason work.

Nassib, Sales, and a healthy Lemon will get us plenty of yards and points. I saw Lemon, Hickey, West, a few others in the stands and they were in good spirits, no crutches or anything. I forget their injuries.

When you're losing, everything you do is wrong.Oh Lord

Well, in other sports, we readily acknowledge that the coach's demeanor affects his team. Confidence breeds confidence, as they say. And people can tell when the coach is wound too tight.

Yes.

I mean Tom Coughlin is like an old, white Chris Rock on the sideline.

It's not about laughing and cracking jokes during the game, it's about playing loose versus playing tight. That comes from confidence. It comes from not allowing your team to have such highs and lows, and trying to keep an even keel.

Hunter Thompson used to say that he could tell which team was going to win the Super Bowl just by watching warm-ups. The team that was more relaxed was usually more confident, and they were the team that was going to win. The team that was trying too hard to get up for the game was usually wound too tight, would commit errors, like jumping offside too much, personal fouls, etc.

This isn't that hard to understand, if you take Marrone out of the discussion. Did the late year Pasqualoni teams play relaxed or tight ? Pasqualoni played not to lose, to avoid mistakes, and you just don't win that way on a consistent basis. It's a game. You hear pros saying that all the time - "just have fun out there". There must be a reason why.

Hey
It's not about laughing and cracking jokes during the game, it's about playing loose versus playing tight. That comes from confidence. It comes from not allowing your team to have such highs and lows, and trying to keep an even keel.

Hunter Thompson used to say that he could tell which team was going to win the Super Bowl just by watching warm-ups. The team that was more relaxed was usually more confident, and they were the team that was going to win. The team that was trying too hard to get up for the game was usually wound too tight, would commit errors, like jumping offside too much, personal fouls, etc.

This isn't that hard to understand, if you take Marrone out of the discussion. Did the late year Pasqualoni teams play relaxed or tight ? Pasqualoni played not to lose, to avoid mistakes, and you just don't win that way on a consistent basis. It's a game. You hear pros saying that all the time - "just have fun out there". There must be a reason why.
Matt what kind of coach was Marrone in 2010? Was he good or bad? Do you think he became a worse coach in 2011? Did he become dumber and have a personality change? Btw he likes to keep his cool during games that's why he has that demeanor thing that you keep talking about. He tries to be calm and focused.

Hey
Matt what kind of coach was Marrone in 2010? Was he good or bad? Do you think he became a worse coach in 2011? Did he become dumber and have a personality change? Btw he likes to keep his cool during games that's why he has that demeanor thing that you keep talking about. He tries to be calm and focused.

Was he "cool" as they went on that 5 game losing streak ? We don't know. Why do you think he lost the team, because they clearly laid down the 2nd half of the season, as the wins mounted ? Being "stoic" on the sidelines was a trait of Pasqualoni, too. Play calls, getting plays off on time, and avoiding stupid penalties are part of whether a team is playing loose or tight. It's not about jumping around on the sidelines or cracking jokes. You guys are making this out like it's some foreign concept when it's not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom