Spruill & Rene | Syracusefan.com

Spruill & Rene

Good to see they wore their best hoodies to court, to assure that they are taken seriously.

Good to see they wore their best hoodies to court, to assure that they are taken seriously.

I only opened this thread to make the same comment.

Stunning. I've been less critical about this incident than 90% of the people on the board, but what's the matter with these two? Marrone's "life skills" stuff was for his own benefit?

Half the criminal dregs who show up in that courthouse at least manage to scare up a shirt with a collar - occasionally a tie, too - before making their court appearances. Who's advising these kids?

A rosary is not a piece of jewelry.

Yeah, b/c I doubt he's wearing it as a fashion accessory. I heard he was outside the courtroom piously saying the rosary before that hearing.

Marrone's "life skills" stuff was for his own benefit?

Yeah, but when they're eating at a fine restaurant in those hoodies they'll know which fork is the salad fork and that's invaluable.

What a shame, the stupid punk who caused the problem to begin with (Rene) by standing in the road yelling obscenities and refusing to comply with officers who also has no value to this team will get out of trouble and feel no repercussions. The starting LB who has a lot of value to this team trying to help his friend upon seeing police taking him down is now the Prosecutor's target and they are insisting he plead guilty to a charge, which will likely end his playing days at SU. Prosecutor wishing to hurt the SU football program possibly?

With that said, obviously Spruill deserves what he gets for putting his hands on a police officer. If you want to help your friend Rene, you tell him to shut the hell up and get out of the street. If he won't listen, you watch and use your cell phone to video as the police arrest him to ensure he doesn't get unnecessarily roughed up and that if he does, you have evidence to get him out of his criminal charges and get him a bunch of money from the City and you go bail him out.

We've got video of just about everything that is happening in the world every day with everyone having cellphones with video capability. I'd love to see video of this to know what actually happened.

What a shame, the stupid punk who caused the problem to begin with (Rene) by standing in the road yelling obscenities and refusing to comply with officers who also has no value to this team will get out of trouble and feel no repercussions. The starting LB who has a lot of value to this team trying to help his friend upon seeing police taking him down is now the Prosecutor's target and they are insisting he plead guilty to a charge, which will likely end his playing days at SU. Prosecutor wishing to hurt the SU football program possibly?

With that said, obviously Spruill deserves what he gets for putting his hands on a police officer. If you want to help your friend Rene, you tell him to shut the hell up and get out of the street. If he won't listen, you watch and use your cell phone to video as the police arrest him to ensure he doesn't get unnecessarily roughed up and that if he does, you have evidence to get him out of his criminal charges and get him a bunch of money from the City and you go bail him out.

We've got video of just about everything that is happening in the world every day with everyone having cellphones with video capability. I'd love to see video of this to know what actually happened.

Why does the value to the team of a player matter at all?

I said this in my first post after this broke last fall. You don't put your hands on a cop. In some cities that could get you killed.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I said this in my first post after this broke last fall. You don't put your hands on a cop. In some cities that could get you killed.

It matters to me because its a shame to lose a player that could have helped our D over Spruill's bad decision. Spruill wasted a big opportunity. If Rene was lost due to his involvement, that wouldn't matter to me because Rene didn't have the talent to have that same opportunity to help the team. It matters also because Rene started the situation that evolved into Spruill's bad decision and it makes me hold Rene somewhat responsible for the loss of Spruill. It doesn't absolve Spruill of his own bad decision or the consequences, but Rene ought to feel like he cost Spruill his shot.

I'd liken it to the following scenario: If the two were injured while sledding on a dangerously steep hill with Spruill being hesitant to go and Rene cajoling him into going and boom, they both get injured and can't play anymore. It doesn't matter to me that Rene gets injured, because he wouldn't and couldn't have contributed on this team. It does matter to me that Spruill gets injured because he could have and would have contributed. It matters also because Rene cajoled Spruill to go and "got him into this mess." It doesn't absolve Spruill of the bad decision to go or the consequences, but in that situation, Rene ought to feel like he cost Spruill his shot.

It doesn't matter with respect to my opinion on whether he should be punished or the treatment he should receive under the law. I went to great lengths to try to make that clear in my post and it appears I failed. I certainly agree with your point Bees. You don't put your hands on a cop and if you do, you deserve whatever the law throws at you. I certainly wasn't advocating that Spruill be treated more leniently and let out of the consequences of his decision. On the other hand, he shouldn't be treated more harshly than anyone else who engaged in the same behavior. I don't know that he is or not, but I could certtainly imagine a scenario where that is possible. I also don't know exactly what he did or didn't do, which is why I made the comment about video.

Don't disagree that he needs to be held accountable for his actions. However, he's just a college kid who made a mistake. Punishment needs to fit the the crime and move on.

Yeah, b/c I doubt he's wearing it as a fashion accessory. I heard he was outside the courtroom piously saying the rosary before that hearing.

If he's doing it for show, he needed to be saying the rosary INSIDE the courtroom where the judge can see him.

Don't disagree that he needs to be held accountable for his actions. However, he's just a college kid who made a mistake. Punishment needs to fit the the crime and move on.
Like Bees said, you don't put your hands on a cop who is trying to make an arrest. There are mistakes and there are "MISTAKES".

Touching an officer is day one stuff. You just don't do it. Period. People get made an example of.

Hey! Don't talk about Los Angeles that way!

A rosary is not a piece of jewelry.

Well, it kind of is. Just like wearing a cross. It may have religious significance, but it's still jewelry.

Well, it kind of is. Just like wearing a cross. It may have religious significance, but it's still jewelry.

Not trying to pick a fight IthacaMatt because I like you but the typical Catholic does not wear rosary beads. If you carry it on your person, you usually place it in your pocket. I realize that some religious orders wear the beads but that is obviously not the case here.

While I agree you don't put your hands on a cop, I'm just curious if people on here would see any justification for doing so in the following scenario:

Let's say Rene had totally calmed down and was cuffed and standing beside the cruiser patiently and without provocation, the cop grabs him by the head and bashes his head into the side of it and knocks him to the ground and proceeds to stomp on him a few times while he's down and defenseless. Should Spruill stand there and watch it? How about if Spruill is clearly unconscious after being knocked down and kicked by said officer and the officer keeps doing it? At some point, the absolute goes out the window and you want to prevent your friend from being senselessly killed by an overly agressive officer.

I don't know what happened as I wasn't there. I haven't heard all the facts about it to know. I've read every article I've come across on the incident, but details are almost non-existent and Rene and Spruill certainly have no incentive to talk about it at this point with their futures hanging in the balance and being totally at the mercy of cops at this point to not take a hard stance on their criminal status.

If that is what happened or anything close to it, I'd feel very badly about Spruill losing his opportunity for a better life due to circumstances that were largely out of his control. I can only hope everyone else here would too.

While I agree you don't put your hands on a cop, I'm just curious if people on here would see any justification for doing so in the following scenario:

Let's say Rene had totally calmed down and was cuffed and standing beside the cruiser patiently and without provocation, the cop grabs him by the head and bashes his head into the side of it and knocks him to the ground and proceeds to stomp on him a few times while he's down and defenseless. Should Spruill stand there and watch it? How about if Spruill is clearly unconscious after being knocked down and kicked by said officer and the officer keeps doing it? At some point, the absolute goes out the window and you want to prevent your friend from being senselessly killed by an overly agressive officer.

I don't know what happened as I wasn't there. I haven't heard all the facts about it to know. I've read every article I've come across on the incident, but details are almost non-existent and Rene and Spruill certainly have no incentive to talk about it at this point with their futures hanging in the balance and being totally at the mercy of cops at this point to not take a hard stance on their criminal status.

If that is what happened or anything close to it, I'd feel very badly about Spruill losing his opportunity for a better life due to circumstances that were largely out of his control. I can only hope everyone else here would too.

Stop trying to massage the blame onto the lesser contributor on the field. You sound like an SEC fan.

Spruill is a legal adult who put his hands on a police officer. No one is crucifying him (yet), so you should not feel the need to vehemently defend him with hypothetical situations where he is completely in the right.

Let the process run its course.

Both acted foolishly aided by alcohol and both should be punished. It shouldn't matter if they are SU football players or fast food drive thru workers. I know in our society this is not the case anymore, but I really hate that our justice system doesn't treat everyone (in similar situations) the same. When I say similar situations I mean how bad the crime was and whether they are first time offenders, etc...

Not trying to pick a fight IthacaMatt because I like you but the typical Catholic does not wear rosary beads. If you carry it on your person, you usually place it in your pocket. I realize that some religious orders wear the beads but that is obviously not the case here.

All I'm saying is that whatever the religious significance, if something is worn on the body during the game, then certain rules apply. They weren't talking about him putting it in his pocket, unless I completely misunderstood this.

Stop trying to massage the blame onto the lesser contributor on the field. You sound like an SEC fan.

Or Jim Calhoun if you change field to basketball court.

These guys should get the same punishment as you or I would get get. Nothing more or less.