St. Bonnies | Syracusefan.com

St. Bonnies

Louie&Bouie

Scout Team
Small article in today's PS about the Nicholson kid down there.

Anybody ever attend games down there at the Reilly Center when our games with them meant something? I can remember that place being incredibly wild. They had a guy named Belcher (sp?) who could really play in the early 80's, but I can't remember if we were still playing them then.

My mind leads me to believe that there was an incident involving pennies being thrown, but again, it was 30 years ago...

Earl Belcher. Late 70's early 80's. Those SU/Bona battles in the ECAC Upstate finals were epic. They were truly our main rivals before the BE was formed.

Nicholson is legit in the A-10. He did look like just another goon at the Dome a couple of years ago though.

It would be cool to see SBU make a run, even though Bonnie dogma says mean ol' JB kept them out of the BE back in the day.

It had nothing to do with the fact that there are few places east of the Mississippi harder to get to than Olean, while all the BE schools were in prime media markets (or building a gigantic on-campus domed stadium).

They also had a tall (6'8"-6'9") white kid whose game reminded me an awful lot of Sean Kerins @ the time, and an African American from Canada who was very athletic and could really play. I want to say the name Rocky Llewelyn (again, sp?)...

Earl Belcher. Late 70's early 80's. Those SU/Bona battles in the ECAC Upstate finals were epic. They were truly our main rivals before the BE was formed.
Syracuse kid. CBA I believe.

he was a cba kid. The white kid was tim waterman I believe.

Anybody ever attend games down there at the Reilly Center when our games with them meant something?

Yep, went there a couple of times during the ECAC days. I recall one game in particular where their fans were real aholes throwing coins at our players as they went off the court. Might have been the same year as their best player getting arrested for stealing clothes from a store in Rochester but I'm not too sure about that.

Only problem with Bona being good is that we have to listen to Lindsley talk about them more than he already does. He mentioned 3 times in a 2 hour show yesterday that he went there. Hey Mike, . Wow, I really need to turn that show off.

Yep, went there a couple of times during the ECAC days. I recall one game in particular where their fans were real aholes throwing coins at our players as they went off the court. Might have been the same year as their best player getting arrested for stealing clothes from a store in Rochester but I'm not too sure about that.

That's it. I was about 10. I remember it was the first time I ever saw my father worried. We hustled to the car and got out of Olean fast as hell.

Only problem with Bona being good is that we have to listen to Lindsley talk about them more than he already does. He mentioned 3 times in a 2 hour show yesterday that he went there. Hey Mike, . Wow, I really need to turn that show off.
8678671.bin

I'm sure. Greg Sanders. I was there that night and couldn't believe, after having been arrested, he was allowed to play that night. He had a big game and they beat SU by one, 70-69 if I recall correctly.

I'm sure. Greg Sanders. I was there that night and couldn't believe, after having been arrested, he was allowed to play that night. He had a big game and they beat SU by one, 70-69 if I recall correctly.

Couldn't think of his name, but that was it.

I am probably wrong but I thought the penny-throwing incident happened in Rochester. Bonnies had played in the Dome but SU insisted as a home-and-home that they play in Rochester ... b/c of the money issue (not enough paying fans in Olean and SU figured they could draw Bonnie and SU fans from other locations who normally wouldn't take the hike to Olean to see the Bonnies get scrubbed ... so not enough draw in Olean). Bonnies agreed ... essentially to get the money from playing in the Dome. Their fans didn't see it that way but rather as a money grab by SU ... they felt that they should be playing in that dinky gymnasium ... ergo pennies from heaven

I am probably wrong but I thought the penny-throwing incident happened in Rochester. Bonnies had played in the Dome but SU insisted as a home-and-home that they play in Rochester ... b/c of the money issue (not enough paying fans in Olean and SU figured they could draw Bonnie and SU fans from other locations who normally wouldn't take the hike to Olean to see the Bonnies get scrubbed ... so not enough draw in Olean). Bonnies agreed ... essentially to get the money from playing in the Dome. Their fans didn't see it that way but rather as a money grab by SU ... they felt that they should be playing in that dinky gymnasium ... ergo pennies from heaven

Different games now that I think about it. The game that Sanders was arrested before was in Rochester. But that's not the game I was referencing with throwing coins at the players. That definitely happened in Olean but it could have also happened in Rochester too but I wasn't at that game.

Different games now that I think about it. The game that Sanders was arrested before was in Rochester. But that's not the game I was referencing with throwing coins at the players. That definitely happened in Olean but it could have also happened in Rochester too but I wasn't at that game.

Yes. It was definitely in Olean, as I remember my father literally hustling the two of us to our car after the game. It was one of the few times I ever saw him "nervous" about his surroundings. We couldn't get off that campus fast enough.

Was a great gym and environment, though. Tough place to play. Went back years later to see Michael Burnett play (who I played against in HS), and it was still a zoo, although the Bonnies had lost sow of their aura. Michael Burnett could also play, and was on SU's radar briefly as a recruit...I think he turned down some smaller BE programs to go there.

Before the Big East the St. Bonaventure ganes were huge. Often home and homes. St. Johns, Iona, and Rutgers, even Temple were all huge games back then. I recall aa Bonnies cheerleader who was Miss New York who was treated mercilessly by the SU students sitting behind her. I can't recall the year but once when SU was eliminated early in the NCAA tourney and St. Bonaventure's coach made a big deal about winning the NIT Jim Boeheim said Big deal that just meand they are the 49th best team in the country. Fuel to the fire back in those days.

Bob Lanier and Tom Stith..they could have and would have started for SU and been stars on the hill.

The Bonnies had some nice players ...way back.

They also had a tall (6'8"-6'9") white kid whose game reminded me an awful lot of Sean Kerins @ the time, and an African American from Canada who was very athletic and could really play. I want to say the name Rocky Llewelyn (again, sp?)...

Uh, i think that should be "European American kid..." Jeez.

As you could probably tell, I am a Bona alumn from class of 72. As an old f@rt, I can say "back in the day" the basketball atmosphere at SBU was fantastic. It held about 6000 (Is Dukes Cameron much bigger?) and at the time, close to half of the attendance were students. You would be hard pressed to find a student on campus when there was a game on. Since then they have remodeled it. SU was never a yearly oppontent but schools like Villanova and Temple were. I tell people here my 2nd favorite SU game was against SBU in '78 when SBU beat SU with 15 sec to go by a shot by Delmar Harrod for the ECAC slot in the NCAA. Back then Ihated SU for taking Rosie Bouie away. One could say that was near a turning point for Boanventure. SU got Bouie, went on to the Big East and SBU did alright for a few years then went to the Atlantic 10 and for my money were in over their heads. That lead to the big scandle a few years ago and they are just climbing out of it. The head of the alumni assoc that commited suicide over the affair was my resident assistent in my dorm my freshman year and the Brown indian mascot that year.

As for Sanders getting arrested for stealing pants ina Rochester mall then playing the next day, back then that was common in college atheletics.

Didn't know that. I think he scored 2,000+ points in his career there.
Yes, Earl was coached by Syracuse Athletic HOF coach Bob Felasco. His HS teammate was the One and Only Marty Headd. That was a pretty good team that CBA had back then.

Jim Satalin was the point guard on that Bob Lanier team.

Here is Earl Belcher's GSHOF Bio

earl-belcher.jpg

Earl Belcher
Basketball
Enshrined: 2002
Born: December 15, 1958
Syracuse, NY
Ranked as the second-leading scorer in St. Bonaventure basketball history, Earl Belcher is one of only four school players to have scored 2,000 or more career points. From 1977 to 1981, Belcher amassed 2,077 points, trailing only Greg Sanders, who totaled 2,238. Belcher’s impressive numbers put him ahead of SBU greats Bob Lanier, Tom Stith, and Essie Hollis.
The former All-City player from Christian Brothers Academy averaged 20 points per game for his entire four-year career with the Bonnies. He is ranked third all-time in career free throw percentage, making 83.1% of his attempts. He led the Atlantic 10 in scoring both his junior and senior seasons and was the league’s player of the year in 1981. The powerful 6-foot-6 forward helped the Bonnies to the NCAA tournament in 1978 and the NIT in 1979.
Belcher was drafted in the third round of the 1981 NBA draft by the San Antonio Spurs. Earl was inducted into the St. Bonaventure Sports Hall of Fame in 1991 and was named to St. Bonaventure’s all-time basketball team in 1995.
Career highlights:
1980: Named first team Atlantic 10
1981: Named Atlantic 10’s Player of the Year
1981: Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs
1991: Inducted into the St. Bonaventure Sports Hall of Fame

Here is Jim Satalin's GSHOF Bio

Jim Satalin

jim_satalin.jpg

Basketball
Enshrined: 1999
Born: November 18, 1946
Syracuse, NY
Jim Satalin, a former star parochial player at St. John the Baptist in Syracuse, also was a three-year starter at St. Bonaventure University. He helped the Bonnies to a NCAA appearance in 1968 and finished his college career with 874 points (12.4 ppg). Satalin was drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks in 1969.
But Satalin’s basketball career eventually steered toward coaching. He returned to his alma mater to become the St. Bonaventure head coach from 1973 to 1982. Satalin led the Bonnies to a 156-93 record and the 1977 National Invitation Tournament championship. He was named the ECAC Coach of the Year in 1977.
Satalin then coached at Duquesne University from 1982 to 1989 and was named Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year twice. During the 1990’s, Satalin served as a basketball analyst for
the Empire Sports Network and other television outlets. He has also dedicated his time to charity. He became the national director for Coaches vs. Cancer in 1998.
Satalin’s father, Frank, was inducted into the Greater Syracuse Hall of Fame in 1994. The Satalin’s were just the second father and son duo to enter the hall.
Career highlights:
1960-1964: St. John Baptist (baseball and basketball teams); Selected first team All-Parochial basketball and baseball teams in 1964
1964-1969: St. Bonaventure basketball team
1969: Drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks of the NBA
1971-1973: St. Bonaventure Freshman basketball coach
1973-1982: Head basketball coach at St. Bonaventure
1997: Won NIT Championship; Named ECAC Coach of the Year
1978: Went to NCAA Tournament
1979: Went to NIT Tournament
1982-1989: Head basketball coach at Duquesne University
1983: Named Atlantic 10 Coach of they Year; Won the award again in 1985
1985: Received the Willie Stargell Coach of the Year Award; Coach of Atlantic 10 All-Stars in Europe
1987: Inducted into St. Bonaventure Sports Hall of Fame
1989: Assistant basketball coach at West Virginia
1991-2000: Observer for referees for the Big East Conference
1997: Became Regional Director of Coaches for Cancer Three Point Attack for the American Cancer Society
1998: Became National Director for Coaches for Cancer.
2002: Atlantic 10 Assigner for basketball officials

Earl Belcher is now a very good jazz musician. My brother, a St Bonnies grad (class of 81), saw Earl perform in the Albany area about 2 years ago and said he was an excellent saxophonist. You can order his CD on his web site:
http://earltiptoebelcher.com/

Jim Satalin was a great coach. He was an even better person. I had the opportunity to interact with him for many years @ the Bonnies' camp.

Always liked Jim O'Brien too. Shame that his career took a turn @ OSU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom