St. John's a must win | Syracusefan.com

St. John's a must win

Yes the season is young. Do I think we are not bound ? No i do not. Do I think we will lose games ? Yes. What we can't afford this year is to lose to teams we should beat. We need to take care of business. In 06/07 losing to Drexel killed us. In. 07/08 losing to Rhode Island killed us. Hence we made nit

St. John's is pretty close to a must win. La Tech is no pushover and then Nova follows.

5-5?

Need to win the next two.

Next 3 opponents are combined 17-2.

The Johnnies beat Minnesota and lost to Gonzaga by 7.

Draw your own conclusions.

Eh, it's not a must win but we can't be stacking losses so early before we have to play the Duke-UNC-L'Ville-UVA top of the ACC.

Dear god, I just realized this game is at the Dome! For some reason, I thought it was at MSG. I am flying to Florida for the weekend to attend a dear friend's sister's memorial service. The Universe gave me a free ticket. Missing a game is very hard for me, but a higher duty calls.

I am with the OP. WE MUST WIN!

I went with 20-11 and that includes wins over St. John's and La Tech.

Must wins in my book.

ACC is already taking an RPI hit.

I went with 20-11 and that includes wins over St. John's and La Tech.

Must wins in my book.

ACC is already taking an RPI hit.

We won't lose 11 games. No way.

This game is absolutely SJU’s Super Bowl because they take major offense to the NY’s College Team thing(get ready to hear about that if we lose), literally haven’t beaten us at the Dome since the Clinton administration, and they have about 5 guys in their last go round, who would love nothing more than to beat us.

On the positive side, they have one big man, no depth, can’t shoot and are “coached” by Steve Lavin.

Really, the game plan should consist of one thing, getting Obekpa in foul trouble. They’d have no one to protect the rim and our bigs will have their way inside any minute he’s out.

HakAttack said:
We won't lose 11 games. No way.

Hmmm well nova is most likely a loss. So that's at least 3 losses before ACC. You don't think we can lose 8 games in the ACC? And if we happen to lose to St. John's then we'd have to go 12-6 in ACC to avoid 11 losses. And that's not even including the ACC tourney.

This team is gonna lose quite a few games to better teams, we can't afford to lose at home to unranked teams like St. John's.

Hmmm well nova is most likely a loss. So that's at least 3 losses before ACC. You don't think we can lose 8 games in the ACC? And if we happen to lose to St. John's then we'd have to go 12-6 in ACC to avoid 11 losses. And that's not even including the ACC tourney.

This team is gonna lose quite a few games to better teams, we can't afford to lose at home to unranked teams like St. John's.

For everyone chalking up Nova as an automatic loss, take these stats into account. Syracuse and Villanova are both shooting 45 percent from the field for the year. Take Tyler's brother out of the equation and their three point shooting is as bad as ours. Archidiacano, Hart, and Hilliard are a combined 16-67. Thats 23%. Jayvaughn Pinkston has seemingly regressed from last year. He has gone from 14 points a game to 8 pts on 40 percent shooting so far this year. They average about one less turnover a game than us.

Am I guaranteeing we are going to win at Nova? No. Is it an automatic loss? No. Besides their # 12 ranking, and I know some media people on here LOVE rankings because they are the holiest of the holy when comparing teams, they really are the same team as us.

Am I guaranteeing we are going to win at Nova? No. Is it an automatic loss? No. Besides their # 12 ranking, and I know some media people on here LOVE rankings because they are the holiest of the holy when comparing teams, they really are the same team as us.
yeah, they're def another team whose ranking/perception is considerably inflated right now.
sure they're a good team, and we're playing them on their court, but they're far from some kind of juggernaut

"Syracuse and Villanova are both shooting 45 percent from the field for the year. Take Tyler's brother out of the equation and their three point shooting is as bad as ours."

So is Tyler's brother not planning on playing against us?

"Syracuse and Villanova are both shooting 45 percent from the field for the year. Take Tyler's brother out of the equation and their three point shooting is as bad as ours."

haha my thoughts exactly. thats like a nova fan saying "if you take christmas out of the equation syracuse's frontline aint that good"

haha my thoughts exactly. thats like a nova fan saying "if you take christmas out of the equation syracuse's frontline aint that good"

The entire team shoots 45 percent. The entire team shoots 30 percent from three. Michigan shot 48 percent from three going into last nights game. How was their percentage yesterday? 32 percent. Why? Because our zone forces team to shoot crappy three pointers. Michigan is suppose to be a great shooting team and they shot 36 percent last night.

I'm all for making points why we will and won't win, but to say Villanova is in another galaxy to us as a basketball team is not accurate. We aren't going to Lexington on December 20th. We have a good shot to win that game. Villanova does not have the shooters they used to have to kill us.

Oh and for Michigan, Kenpom.com still has us ranked higher than them. The only reason anyone can point out that we will lose to them is because they are ranked 12th in the country and rankings supposedly mean everything.

We lost to Michigan by 3 last night on their floor. You know how many teams in Division 1 would be favored on their floor to win that game? Just one, and that is Kentucky.

The entire team shoots 45 percent. The entire team shoots 30 percent from three. Michigan shot 48 percent from three going into last nights game. How was their percentage yesterday? 32 percent. Why? Because our zone forces team to shoot crappy three pointers. Michigan is suppose to be a great shooting team and they shot 36 percent last night.

I'm all for making points why we will and won't win, but to say Villanova is in another galaxy to us as a basketball team is not accurate. We aren't going to Lexington on December 20th. We have a good shot to win that game. Villanova does not have the shooters they used to have to kill us.

Oh and for Michigan, Kenpom.com still has us ranked higher than them. The only reason anyone can point out that we will lose to them is because they are ranked 12th in the country and rankings supposedly mean everything.

We lost to Michigan by 3 last night on their floor. You know how many teams in Division 1 would be favored on their floor to win that game? Just one, and that is Kentucky.

With all due respect that is simply not true. Duke, Louisville, Texas, Wisconsin, and probably at least five others would be favored in Ann Arbor. I think Villanova is a way more experienced team than us right now and could bully us around with their physicality if the refs let them play. I don't think anybody is saying they are in other galaxy than us. I would not be surprised if SU wins but I think it will be tough.

need this game Saturday!!!! Have to win at home

I'm hesitant to use the term "must-win" this early in the season, but I completely agree that this game is extraordinarily important to our NCAA tourney resume. If we lose Saturday, we're really putting ourselves in an RPI hole that we'll have to dig ourselves out of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom