St. John's a must win | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's a must win

If we beat St. John's we pretty much just need to be 9-9 in the conference play and we are safe for March. It gives a 2nd non-conference scalp. The Michigan game gives confidence as they completely dominated us on the glass and only beat us by 3 points.

I think Cooney played well in the 2nd half because JB sat his him on the bench for 7 minutes that probably lit a fire under his butt. If JB would do that more it could help Cooney and the team. Playing TC high 30 MPG does nobody good unless he starts the game hot.

If we beat St. John's we pretty much just need to be 9-9 in the conference play and we are safe for March. It gives a 2nd non-conference scalp. The Michigan game gives confidence as they completely dominated us on the glass and only beat us by 3 points.

I think Cooney played well in the 2nd half because JB sat his him on the bench for 7 minutes that probably lit a fire under his butt. If JB would do that more it could help Cooney and the team. Playing TC high 30 MPG does nobody good unless he starts the game hot.

Not just setting a fire under him but allowing him to have fresh legs all game which is important for shooters. If we could keep Cooney at 32 min a game that would be idea IMO. Joseph needs to sit each half as well so he can see whats going on from a different perspective. He should sit next to Red and coach should be in his ear explaining the action the whole time. AT this point Chris and Rak have to play big minutes but no one else should have to be in the high 30's IMO. Mike can play 3 positions and if you get 15-20 minutes combined out of Tyler and BJ you are all set. Tyler almost has to play now when Rak or Chris sits IMO.

If we beat St. John's we pretty much just need to be 9-9 in the conference play and we are safe for March.

I dunno man I think we would REALLY be cutting it close there. That would put us at 19-12 if we lost to Nova, which is just prime square-on-the-bubble territory. We would have to win a few games in the ACCT.

I dunno man I think we would REALLY be cutting it close there. That would put us at 19-12 if we lost to Nova, which is just prime square-on-the-bubble territory. We would have to win a few games in the ACCT.

Agreed the ACC is looking pretty top heavy so 9 wins could be 9 rather unimpressive wins and a big zero conference wins against NCAAT teams. I think the goal should be 12 wins right now and if we improve and do better great.

The bubble has been super soft these past few years. Our SOS would be good and having played two true road OOC games and with wins over SJU/Iowa would prolly send us to Dayton.

The bubble has been super soft these past few years. Our SOS would be good and having played two true road OOC games and with wins over SJU/Iowa would prolly send us to Dayton.

I guess I'm always stressed about SU being on the bubble because in the Boeheim era, we have never been on the bubble and made the tournament (which is kind of incredible). We are ALWAYS just on the wrong side of it.

I guess I'm always stressed about SU being on the bubble because in the Boeheim era, we have never been on the bubble and made the tournament (which is kind of incredible). We are ALWAYS just on the wrong side of it.
Yeah, but this year we will have played two non-conference top 25 teams on the road and you get rewarded by the committee by challenging yourself. If we play well at Nova and lose the committee factors that stuff in. We would need to beat a few ACC teams that were definitely NCAA tournament teams and we would be fine.

In 2007 we were flat screwed. In 2008 we had a play-in game with Nova at the BET and lost it. If UGA doesn't win the SECT in 2008 apparently we were the team that would have made it according to John Feinstein.

I'm gunna get all "nuanced" here and explain why there are several different, but equally valid, answers to this question:

1- It's not a must win in terms of OOC games. It's early December; both teams are from the same state; both are unranked;
2- It's probably too early for significance as far as NCAA's; but
3- It is a big deal because it's a rivalry game in which both teams are vying for "New York" bragging rights; and
4- It's a big deal because after playing well at Michigan Tuesday night, beating a motivated SJ's team would help this young team build confidence.

Agreed with many, SJU is not a must win. This team is a tourney team, albeit not a very good one. Playing Michigan close was inspiring I Think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom