Stability has been a strength of the program but we need some change to how we play | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stability has been a strength of the program but we need some change to how we play

Our defense was elite.
The offense being mediocre kept that game in low double digits.
That game was also one of MCW’s best offensive games.

It’s okay to admit that offense should have been better. With the talent we had it should have been but it was all ISO, Fair midrange, Southerland 3 point shooting.
We didn’t run sets.
This is all true, I remember this conversation with others in 2013. I'll say this however, give me the 2013 offense over what we have now any day of the week!

Our defense was elite.
The offense being mediocre kept that game in low double digits.
That game was also one of MCW’s best offensive games.

It’s okay to admit that offense should have been better. With the talent we had it should have been but it was all ISO, Fair midrange, Southerland 3 point shooting.
We didn’t run sets.

Those teams all look better in the rearview mirror (and how they'd compete in today's crappy college game).

Again, we crushed them.

We finished 9th in KenPom in 2013. It’s our fourth best team since 2002. Hard to complain about much that season except the last two weeks of the regular season.

We finished 9th in KenPom in 2013. It’s our fourth best team since 2002. Hard to complain about much that season except the last two weeks of the regular season.
I love the team.
I am talking about the offensive system.
That team had more talent.
The offense shouldn’t have struggled to get 60 points like we did.
We won 2 games against Georgetown, Marquette we didn’t even score 60.
The talent on those teams should have scored 65-70.

I love the team.
I am talking about the offensive system.
That team had more talent.
The offense shouldn’t have struggled to get 60 points like we did.
We won 2 games against Georgetown, Marquette we didn’t even score 60.
The talent on those teams should have scored 65-70.

I agree with what you’re saying in regarding the offense. I guess my point was that the 2013 team would be favored in every ACC game outside of at Duke and at Virginia if it was placed in this season.

We scored 62 points against Pitt in the BET Quaterfinals
58 in OT against Georgetown in the BET Semis.
61 against Louisville in the BET final.
66 against Cal in the 2nd round.
61 against Indiana
55 against Marquette
58 against Michigan
That isn’t a Southerland problem.
Our offense was atrocious and we had talent.
We also scored 39 against Georgetown in the season finale, 53 against L'ville a week before and 46 against Georgetown just before that.

That team should've been so much better offensively.

There's nothing wrong with stability. But sometimes bringing in coaches from outside the program / a fresh way of doing things is good for the staff. Worked out well with Troy Weaver, and Rob Murphy, too.

For having a staff comprised entirely of guards, our guard play is inexplicably suspect.
I thought we kind of got that when we added Allen Griffin. He spent 7 years with Archie Miller and seeing things done a different way.

That run launched our best guy into the NBA a year before we thought possible.

The ACC isn't any incarnation of whatever Big East people like to remember. No gimmes here.

Separate case but I think JB really flubbed who played when and where in the start of last season. Put us in a terrible hole.
So thats on JB. He needs to figure it out. Why are we alright with settling for this?

The 2 NBA guys couldn’t shoot. The rest were nice players but let’s not get crazy about it. Next to what we have now they look like world beaters.
So even when SU has a FF caliber team and has nba talent, SU cant recruit skilled offensive players? Sounds like a bit of a problem going forward (and in fact has been a problem for a loong time). Oh but next yr 2 freshmen will solve everything! Fingers crossed!!

So even when SU has a FF caliber team and has nba talent, SU cant recruit skilled offensive players? Sounds like a bit of a problem going forward (and in fact has been a problem for a loong time). Oh but next yr 2 freshmen will solve everything! Fingers crossed!!

Not sure what you're talking about. The 2 NBA guys on that team weren't shooters. The system guys weren't elite talents. If they were James Southerland in his mid 20s would not have been on the team.