Living Legend
Just looked back on 247 and saw the following guys were 3 star kids
Duce Chestnut
Damien Alford
Sean Tucker
Stefon Thompson
Mikel Jones
Garrett Williams
Where do you think those guys should be ranked now?

Dino and staff have done a good job building the roster.

Clearly lifted the bottom and improved the depth across the board. All conference and potential pros both sides of the ball.

Top end talent isn’t there in numbers yet . They have a profile and a good eye on what fits. Next step is closing on some blue chippers.

Duce Chestnut
Damien Alford
Sean Tucker
Stefon Thompson
Mikel Jones
Garrett Williams
Duce high 4
Alford 3
Tucker 5
Thompson low 4
Jones 4
Williams 4
I was told stars don’t matter
Big picture they certainly matter.

Dino and staff have done a good job building the roster.

Clearly lifted the bottom and improved the depth across the board. All conference and potential pros both sides of the ball.

Top end talent isn’t there in numbers yet . They have a profile and a good eye on what fits. Next step is closing on some blue chippers.

Agree 100% -- can't be disputed, IMO. That's why a lot of the hand wringing about "last place classes in the ACC" rings hollow.

This team has consistently gotten bigger, faster, and stronger under Babers and staff. They have done an outstanding job identifying system fits. Now, they still have some trouble areas at some positional units [QB, TE], and have suffered from some bad luck with injuries / medical disqualifications [especially at OL]. But in the main, recruiting is just fine.

As you state, would be nice to land an upper echelon talent or two. That will come with consistent winning, and back-to-back-to-back bowl seasons. We're on the cusp.

Duce Chestnut
Damien Alford
Sean Tucker
Stefon Thompson
Mikel Jones
Garrett Williams
All very good players but Really? You want to do this now after a long TD pass with 19 seconds? Where were you after all those losses.
Your post proves nothing. We won!! We all should be happy for it. Our entire team isn't now a top 15 team because of it.

All very good players but Really? You want to do this now after a long TD pass with 19 seconds? Where were you after all those losses.
Your post proves nothing. We won!! We all should be happy for it. Our entire team isn't now a top 15 team because of it.
Why this response? You don't want to post in the thread, ignore it. Why be a a-hole about it? Or is that just you? Oh, and I liked those guys before the win. And no where, no where, did I say we were a top 15 team. Christ. What a jerk. Oh, and thanks. You are now on ignore.

Agree 100% -- can't be disputed, IMO. That's why a lot of the hand wringing about "last place classes in the ACC" rings hollow.

This team has consistently gotten bigger, faster, and stronger under Babers and staff. They have done an outstanding job identifying system fits. Now, they still have some trouble areas at some positional units [QB, TE], and have suffered from some bad luck with injuries / medical disqualifications [especially at OL]. But in the main, recruiting is just fine.

As you state, would be nice to land an upper echelon talent or two. That will come with consistent winning, and back-to-back-to-back bowl seasons. We're on the cusp.
I agree with this assessment, Babers has been great at identifying talent, especially in the secondary with guys like Cisco, Trill, Melinfonwu, Garrett Williams. The one piece I wish we could land recruiting though, is a big nose tackle. It feels like that is the one thing from holding this D back. I love the D lineman, Bear, Black, Johnathan, Roscoe, etc. but it feels like if we got a big 340 pound nose tackle, it could free these guys up more, and really improve the run game defense.

Why this response? You don't want to post in the thread, ignore it. Why be a a-hole about it? Or is that just you? Oh, and I liked those guys before the win. And no where, no where, did I say we were a top 15 team. Christ. What a jerk. Oh, and thanks. You are now on ignore.
Whose the A-hole? Everything you wrote applies to you. Yes we do have good players on the team, just not good enough to win confidently.

Whose the A-hole? Everything you wrote applies to you. Yes we do have good players on the team, just not good enough to win confidently.
What’s your point? It wasn’t a close game because of lack of talent. They outgained VT by a 110yds. That doesn’t happen because they are less talented.

They have outgained every opponent except Liberty, that doesn’t happen if SU was overmatched. They are 52nd in total offense, 27th in total defense. That is not the profile of a bottom feeding roster.

I agree with this assessment, Babers has been great at identifying talent, especially in the secondary with guys like Cisco, Trill, Melinfonwu, Garrett Williams. The one piece I wish we could land recruiting though, is a big nose tackle. It feels like that is the one thing from holding this D back. I love the D lineman, Bear, Black, Johnathan, Roscoe, etc. but it feels like if we got a big 340 pound nose tackle, it could free these guys up more, and really improve the run game defense.

Really too bad we weren't able to pull a JUCO NT or a transfer portal DT last offseason. Given that we're losing three starters and Roscoe, I would have to think that they'll be actively looking for those type of replacements this offseason. Agree, that's the lone "weak" link [relatively] on an otherwise very solid defense group.

Really too bad we weren't able to pull a JUCO NT or a transfer portal DT last offseason. Given that we're losing three starters and Roscoe, I would have to think that they'll be actively looking for those type of replacements this offseason. Agree, that's the lone "weak" link [relatively] on an otherwise very solid defense group.
Yep, hopefully the transfer portal can be our gain. If we can't get one out of high school, pull one off another teams roster!

Duce Chestnut and Mikel Jones were both 4 - Chestnut at Rivals and Jones Rivals & ESPN. Alford was a high 3 star at Rivals and had blue blood offers including all the Florida schools. The rest I believe were low to mid 3 stars. 247 does a composite of 247/ESPN/Rivals if you're simply looking at the star grade on their commitment list. Alford/Jones/Chestnut should have been consensus 4 stars based on their offers alone, but the others I think were graded appropriately based on the schools recruiting them at the time.

Williams and Thompson were NC kids that didn't have offers from any of the NC P5 schools and Tucker wasn't offered by Maryland. Obviously all punched above their weight in that respect and have turned out to be much better than their recruiting grades.

However, we've had a number of guys who have been low to mid 3 stars that never impacted the 2 deep or have had minimal in game impact and we've had some 4 stars we've seen the same with. So it cuts both ways. Sharod Johnson was a 2 star at Rivals and based on production, that's probably where he belonged. Russel Thompson Bishop was a 2 star at Rivals, again probably where he belonged.

I expect the staff to hit hard at schools with coaching changes and the portal, the lack of Offensive recruits in this class - there has to be some strategy around that. I can't imagine they're going to fill the class with off the radar prospects at this point.

Couple of big bodies for the DL out of the portal or JUCO, and a Center for the OL would be nice.

Duce Chestnut and Mikel Jones were both 4 - Chestnut at Rivals and Jones Rivals & ESPN. Alford was a high 3 star at Rivals and had blue blood offers including all the Florida schools. The rest I believe were low to mid 3 stars. 247 does a composite of 247/ESPN/Rivals if you're simply looking at the star grade on their commitment list. Alford/Jones/Chestnut should have been consensus 4 stars based on their offers alone, but the others I think were graded appropriately based on the schools recruiting them at the time.

Williams and Thompson were NC kids that didn't have offers from any of the NC P5 schools and Tucker wasn't offered by Maryland. Obviously all punched above their weight in that respect and have turned out to be much better than their recruiting grades.

However, we've had a number of guys who have been low to mid 3 stars that never impacted the 2 deep or have had minimal in game impact and we've had some 4 stars we've seen the same with. So it cuts both ways. Sharod Johnson was a 2 star at Rivals and based on production, that's probably where he belonged. Russel Thompson Bishop was a 2 star at Rivals, again probably where he belonged.
Iffy was a low 3 star, and shows how bad the rating system is. His brother ended up in the pro's, so someone screwed up.

I laugh every time I think about the rutgers take on Duce.

there’s certain areas of the country you know 3 stars are going to produce from.

West Jersey, Philly/DC, Baltimore, Towson and the Peninsula, Florida etc.

Iffy was a low 3 star, and shows how bad the rating system is. His brother ended up in the pro's, so someone screwed up.

I don’t think one player doing better than their star rating means it’s a flawed system. Schools that bring in more higher rated kids are in the top 10 more often/consistently. You can’t properly evaluate every kid in the land. Some 5 stars won’t pan out and some 2 stars might make the NFL. Just the way it is, nothing is ever guaranteed.