Starting lineup and 6th man over last decade | Syracusefan.com

Starting lineup and 6th man over last decade

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Back to 2010-2011

I'd probably go Ennis, Waiters, Fair, Grant, Christmas. G as sixth man. The only guarantees for me are Waiters, Fair, Christmas.

9B794525-7B02-4C01-8073-C08E98ED5D76.jpeg

We had so many great players early in the decade, and then some very talented guys in the later portion of the decade.

Would guys like Battle, G and Hughes have been better fits on a team with say MCW than say Waiters was? What about giving them a dynamic guy like Fair? Triche was just so steady, but is that enough?

you could come up with so many great combos it would be fun to see them pair off

Ennis battle fair Hughes rak. Waiters who was the ultimate 6th man.

We had so many great players early in the decade, and then some very talented guys in the later portion of the decade.

Would guys like Battle, G and Hughes have been better fits on a team with say MCW than say Waiters was? What about giving them a dynamic guy like Fair? Triche was just so steady, but is that enough?

you could come up with so many great combos it would be fun to see them pair off
Sure could. Many different ways to build the team. For me,

Ennis- steady, pure PG who won't make mistakes
Waiters- elite scorer, defender
Fair- versatile scorer, wing defender
Grant- supreme defender, athleticism
Christmas- post scoring, paint defense
G- bench scoring, can play 1-3

I was between Hughes and G but I believe G was a better PG.

Give me a 5 on 5 game; old school vs new school

New School:

PG - Ennis
SG - Silent G
SF- Fair
PF - Grant
C - Christmas
6th- Eli

Old School:

PG - MCW
SG - Waiters
SF- KrisJo
PF- Wes
C- Fab
6th - Triche

Wes wouldn’t qualify. This goes back to the 2010-2011 season.
Original tweet said 10 years. This year was 2019-2020. So technically 2009-2010 would be the first year, no?

Not counting Wes, since technically the last 10 seasons start with the 2010-2011 team:

If I had to choose a team for 40 minutes. 3 ball handlers, 2 shooters, Big presence in middle of zone. Glue guy. Versatile 6th man and wings.
1) MCW
2) Dion
3) Hughes
4) Fair
5) Fab
6th man - Lydon

Defensive Lineup
1) MCW
2) Gbinije
3) Hughes
4) Grant
5) Fab
6th man - Christmas

Offensive Lineup
1) Ennis
2) Dion
3) Battle
4) Lydon
5) Christmas
6th man - Fair

PG - Gbinije
SG - Hughes
SF - White
- Fair
C - Rak

Sixth man - Lydon

Ridiculous size up top, unbelievable shooting, and a guy who the team can get the ball to inside.

I like G's versatility and shooting more than what MCW brings to the table, and I'll take the vastly improved defense he brings over Ennis at lead guard. I like Battle, but he is ball-dominant, and this team wouldn't need that -- and Elijah is a better all around player. He and Gbinije up top would give the opposition fits. Waiters was terrific, but brought a lot of off-court baggage [especially his first year], and Grant didn't actualize his full potential until he was at the next level.

White's the best shooter of the decade, and Fair would be a glue guy extraordinaire -- a quiet assassin who would thrive not being the focal point of opposing defenses [a la his junior year, when he led the team in scoring, rebounds, blocks, three point FG%, etc.].

Last edited:
MCW - Best point guard of the decade at SU.
Waiters - most skilled player of the decade
Hughes - imo better all around than Battle, Joseph and Fair.
Grant- best pro player and 4
Rak - most dominant big

MCW - Best point guard of the decade at SU.
Waiters - most skilled player of the decade
Hughes - imo better all around than Battle, Joseph and Fair.
Grant- best pro player and 4
Rak - most dominant big
Forgot 6th man, Tyler Lydon. Does everything Marek does but better. Except take charges.

G: MCW
G: Trevor Cooney (or maybe Gbinije on second thought)
: James Southerland
: Tyler Lydon
C: Fab Melo

6th: Dion Waiters

I could have opted for more talented individual players in the starting lineup in Dion and Fair, but ultimately I think something like this might work best.

MCW was as good defensively at the top of the zone as I've ever seen and likewise for Melo inside. Cooney was a very good defender, creating turnovers while also doing a good job of being in position more often than not. Lydon and Southerland would add great length to the back end.

On the offensive end, you have MCW pushing tempo with Southerland, Lydon, and Melo all serving as potential alley-oop threats along with Cooney, Southerland, and Lydon all providing good spacing, giving MCW plenty of room for free lanes to the hoop.

And of course with Dion off the bench, you have a secondary ball-handler/creator on the offensive end that could also create turnovers on the defensive end.

Ultimately, CJ was maybe my favorite player to root for in the past decade besides MCW, but I'd rather have the spacing and length that Southerland provides (not to mention he and MCW had great chemistry together). And I'd rather have Cooney running around off-ball like a madman than Dion taking the ball out of MCW's hands (but I still very much value Dion as a spark plug off the bench).

Edit: You could also slot Gbinije in for Cooney if you'd like; he'd provide a lot of Cooney did while also being far better with the ball in his hands.

MCW
Waiters
Silent G
Lydon
Xmas

Eli or Grant depending on if you value offense or defense more but both are too 1 dimensional for the starting 5

Edit: also as much as I love CJ, I am surprised how many people value him over Silent G