Starting Lineup | Syracusefan.com

Starting Lineup

SU_Fan_in_VA

Walk On
With exactly a week until the 1st exhibition game, the starting lineup is not a surprise to anyone, because JB pretty much gave it away before the team actually started practing. Based on JB quotes in an article published earlier in the Post Standard website (Syracuse.com) the starting lineup is:

PG: Kaleb Joseph "Will play a nice role"
SG: Trevor Cooney "Corner stone"
SF: Tyler Roberson "Will be at one forward spot"
PF: Chris Mac "Will play a nice role"
C: Rakeem Xmas "Corner stone"

6th Man: Michael Gbinije "Big contributor"

Nothing I have heard from my sources or personally observed seems to indicate otherwise.

I think we have at least four double digit scorers: McCullough, Roberson, Cooney and Gbinije. If Rak and Joseph are up near there as well I think we will have a very nice year. Last year we averaged 68 with four guys over 12 ppg and no one else. This year our defense will probably not be as good so if we could up to 75 or 76 ppg I think that would be our magic number. Hopefully I am not asking too much.

I think JB plays 8 guys this year, 9 if they get DC back at some point. I agree with the starting lineup except Chris Mac... I think he comes off the bench and BJ starts at small forward and Robeson plays PF, his natural position. I think we rotate Chris Mac at PF and even a little at C with Obokoh the primary back-up at C. But the front line will see all the bigs play. Likewise, he rotates all the guards except Patterson who will transfer next year to make room for Bryant.

Seems pretty accurate. I think BJ gets some minutes at the 2/3 spot. It will be interesting to see how much progress Patterson has made and if he earns some minutes. At the midnight madness he looked a bit more in control than in the past

I think JB plays 8 guys this year, 9 if they get DC back at some point. I agree with the starting lineup except Chris Mac... I think he comes off the bench and BJ starts at small forward and Robeson plays PF, his natural position. I think we rotate Chris Mac at PF and even a little at C with Obokoh the primary back-up at C. But the front line will see all the bigs play. Likewise, he rotates all the guards except Patterson who will transfer next year to make room for Bryant.
You do realize that McCullough is a top 15 recruit. Projected to be a lottery pick in 2016. I would be shocked if he didn't start from day one.

Yes I do, but I also think JB is reticent to start freshmen and loyal to his vets, at least to begin the season. He values playing defense above almost everything else. Both Robeson and JB had a good summer touring Europe playing well together. Chris Mac may start later in the season but I think everyone except Patterson will see significant minutes and the starters may be a moot point.

ottodaorange said:
Yes I do, but I also think JB is reticent to start freshmen and loyal to his vets, at least to begin the season. He values playing defense above almost everything else. Both Robeson and JB had a good summer touring Europe playing well together. Chris Mac may start later in the season but I think everyone except Patterson will see significant minutes and the starters may be a moot point.

Chris Mac doesn't start good luck getting more top flight recruits like him. I'm sorry guys like Chris don't come in and sit.

Obokoh is seeing zero minutes in ACC play.

Almost nothing with this program would shock me. Also(knocked on wood), folks often tend to forget that injuries can factor into the equation.

Also, has the over/under on the number of times the word "Boeheimed" will be used on here this season been released yet?

AlaskaSU said:
Obokoh is seeing zero minutes in ACC play.

Who's playing the 5 during ACC play then? Not 210 McCullough not very undersized for the 5 Roberson.

Anyone as ripped as Chino should get playing time for their physique alone. Dude looks like he could survive Chino, unlike some of the gentlemen we've had down low.

Anyone as ripped as Chino should get playing time for their physique alone. Dude looks like he could survive Chino, unlike some of the gentlemen we've had down low.
he will get playing time because we have nobody else, there is bound to be games where Rak is in foul trouble and Rak can't play 40 minutes a game. I don't think he will play a lot maybe 5 to 10 minutes a game but I think he will play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OP got the starting lineup correct. Even if Joseph struggles at times IMO he will still start but Mike will get major minutes at the PG spot in those games. That also highlights why BJ will be getting minutes. Who is the 3rd forward if Mike is spending a most of his minutes as a guard? Look at the available players.

Guards: Trevor, Buss, Mike, Kaleb (and BJ can play the 2G)
Forwards: Tyler, Chris, BJ (and Mike can play the 3)
Centers: Rakeen, Chino (DC2 very questionable he sees any time at this point)

IMO BJ is the main backup forward on this squad (although in certain situations he may get a few minutes at the 2G spot), the other forward plays the 4 when BJ is in.
IMO Mike is the main backup guard at both spots and should see around 20min a game possibly more.
IMO Chino is the only option as a backup center and is likely to see 8-10 minutes a game. Chris is probably the emergency 3rd guy at this spot but not ideal.

Buss is the guy I can't figure but could also easily carve some time our for himself. We know he can shoot, he has long arms and a quick step which after a year in the system could translate into being a defensive beast.

Hesitant to start freshman? Top freshman start. Sometimes whether they are ready or not. How quick we forget. Ennis, Coleman, Christmas, Melo, Triche. That's just the past 5 years. Flynn, Greene, Devendorf, GMac, Anthony(Hmmm, PG & PF????) , Warrick, Forth, Hart, and Nichols, Jardine, Keita, Thomas also started 10 or more games (don't remember but some of that was likely injury related. But that is 17 freshman starters in 20 years. That doesn't sound "reticent" to me. Go back further to Hill, Wallace, Moten, Washington, Autry, Edwards, Owens, Coleman, Seikaly, Brown, Hawkins, Santifer, and Bouie. That is 30 different freshman that Boeheim has started in his career. CMac starts. End of story.

Hesitant to start freshman? Top freshman start. Sometimes whether they are ready or not. How quick we forget. Ennis, Coleman, Christmas, Melo, Triche. That's just the past 5 years. Flynn, Greene, Devendorf, GMac, Anthony(Hmmm, PG & PF????) , Warrick, Forth, Hart, and Nichols, Jardine, Keita, Thomas also started 10 or more games (don't remember but some of that was likely injury related. But that is 17 freshman starters in 20 years. That doesn't sound "reticent" to me. Go back further to Hill, Wallace, Moten, Washington, Autry, Edwards, Owens, Coleman, Seikaly, Brown, Hawkins, Santifer, and Bouie. That is 30 different freshman that Boeheim has started in his career. CMac starts. End of story.

Agreed especially when we have had a lot of turnover and lost multiple starters to graduation and the NBA.

I think for floor spacing we should start BJ over Roberson, but I don't expect that to happen.

I think for floor spacing we should start BJ over Roberson, but I don't expect that to happen.

I would not be shocked to see BJ, Chris and Tyler all wind up playing pretty close to the same amount of minutes.

jordoo said:
I would not be shocked to see BJ, Chris and Tyler all wind up playing pretty close to the same amount of minutes.
no way IMO. Cmac is going to play the most

no way IMO. Cmac is going to play the most

I hope that is the case but if he plays a few minutes at the 5 and BJ a few at the 2G they could all wind up in the high 20's. My point is mainly that all three will be very important players who play a lot of minutes and whichever one is on the bench would be able to come in for either of the other two at any time due to foul trouble or simply having an off night.

jordoo said:
I hope that is the case but if he plays a few minutes at the 5 and BJ a few at the 2G they could all wind up in the high 20's. My point is mainly that all three will be very important players who play a lot of minutes and whichever one is on the bench would be able to come in for either of the other two at any time due to foul trouble or simply having an off night.
I think absent foul trouble cmac is going to be like a 35mpg guy. Roberson prob like 32. BJ more like 20

I agree I would not be shocked, but I think CMac & TRob don't come off the floor except for rest or foul trouble. But BJ is first man in for any of the front court players. BJ is going to likely see some time at the 2 also. It all depends on how BJ shoots. The better he shoots the more he plays (kind of obvious!). We might even see on a very limited basis the imposing defensive lineup of Gbinije, BJ, TRob, CMac & Rak. 6'7", 6'7", 6'8", 6'10", 6'9"! Imo G was adequate as the backup PG last year. I expect him to better this year. Its a 7 man team with Patterson, Coleman, Chino getting minimal time (DC really a complete unknown). I think we're going to be good. If we can get 20 minutes per game from a healthy DC we can be great. Let us not forget, when healthy...Rak and DC started together the past 2 seasons.

I agree I would not be shocked, but I think CMac & TRob don't come off the floor except for rest or foul trouble. But BJ is first man in for any of the front court players. BJ is going to likely see some time at the 2 also. It all depends on how BJ shoots. The better he shoots the more he plays (kind of obvious!). We might even see on a very limited basis the imposing defensive lineup of Gbinije, BJ, TRob, CMac & Rak. 6'7", 6'7", 6'8", 6'10", 6'9"! Imo G was adequate as the backup PG last year. I expect him to better this year. Its a 7 man team with Patterson, Coleman, Chino getting minimal time (DC really a complete unknown). I think we're going to be good. If we can get 20 minutes per game from a healthy DC we can be great. Let us not forget, when healthy...Rak and DC started together the past 2 seasons.

You can bet we see that line up at some point. They could be smothering on D and very tough on the glass. I would also like to see Mike, Trevor, BJ, Chris, Rakeem because I think they could really spread the floor on offense. The defense wouldn't be able to leave Rak alone and if we moved the ball you are looking at a lot of open shots or slashing to the basket with very little help D around.

I agree that the better BJ shoots the more he plays but I also think he is going to bring some serious slashing to the basket when he is matched up with forwards.

I also agree the Mike was good enough as a backup PG last season to be comfortable with him running the offense for much longer stretches this season.

I'd love to see a healthy DC2 as he would add something that no one else really does on this team. At this point I will not consider it until we are at least hearing something positive in terms of him practicing.

I think absent foul trouble cmac is going to be like a 35mpg guy. Roberson prob like 32. BJ more like 20

The more minutes Chris plays the better for us as a team IMO because it means he's playing very well. I was thinking more along the lines of 32 for Chris 27 for Tyler and 26 for BJ.