Starting to feel like we have recruiting momentum building | Syracusefan.com

Starting to feel like we have recruiting momentum building

GooseMutt

All Conference
Just feels like our door is being knocked on and others taking notice. The Ohio St recent de- commit reached out and he's a stud on film(Bazley). Hughes moved his truck up to tomorrow and I'm feeling really optimistic on Thorpe and don't even have Tucker remorse at the moment( ok yes I do. We still have a shot!)And Doljac was impressive I read on this board.

I think you are seeing the final pieces for the 17 class getting into position which will be followed by a big 2018 class push.
Absolutely agree. Forgot to mention A Jones and Sid. I'm getting giddy

As I've said before, I believe JB was trying to pull together a Fab Five-esque recruiting class for what he thought would be his final season, while stocking the cupboard for Hop with program guys. He took a risk and failed, but time and again he's been able to pivot. The panic from some fans was premature. We'll be fine.

I think you are seeing the final pieces for the 17 class getting into position which will be followed by a big 2018 class push.

I agree with this, i think our recruiting strategy has done a 180 from the previous year or so and it easy to see why, with Hop gone JB is undoubtedly more active, we have a lot more offers out to quality players than in previous years, I'm fine with spreading out the offers like this and not zeroing in on one specific target

I agree with this, i think our recruiting strategy has done a 180 from the previous year or so and it easy to see why, with Hop gone JB is undoubtedly more active, we have a lot more offers out to quality players than in previous years, I'm fine with spreading out the offers like this and not zeroing in on one specific target

We now have one guy clearly in charge of the direction recruiting is going and he's recruiting his system not for a possible change in system. I hope we see him out a lot this summer!

As I've said before, I believe JB was trying to pull together a Fab Five-esque recruiting class for what he thought would be his final season, while stocking the cupboard for Hop with program guys. He took a risk and failed, but time and again he's been able to pivot. The panic from some fans was premature. We'll be fine.

"And premature anything is bad". :p
-James Arthur Boeheim

To the OP - your jib, I like the cut of it! :)

Correct me if I am wrong but we can offer how many kids we want 20 or 75 and it be fine but we can only "sign" up to a certain amount of ships

Correct me if I am wrong but we can offer how many kids we want 20 or 75 and it be fine but we can only "sign" up to a certain amount of ships

Correct.

Correct.

So why not offer people like bagley and Williamson and Langford of next year. It's not going to go against us.. if a player is good and we like em offer him. You never what could have happened if you don't offer em. Just like football offers. They offer probably 200+ kids a year it feels like.

So why not offer people like bagley and Williamson and Langford of next year. It's not going to go against us.. if a player is good and we like em offer him. You never what could have happened if you don't offer em. Just like football offers. They offer probably 200+ kids a year it feels like.

I believe we will offer Bagley. We have a lot of offers out there already for 2018. The staff has seen a lot more of Williams than the recruiting ratings sights and most other coaches. They liked him enough to offer. They want to bring in Hughes as well. Wilson holds an offer although that was originally for 2018. Swider has been offered and seems like a priority. We offered King and Reddish. Carmody has an offer as well. How many wings do we need in 2018?We have a lot of offers out there right now?

I believe we will offer Bagley. We have a lot of offers out there already for 2018. The staff has seen a lot more of Williams than the recruiting ratings sights and most other coaches. They liked him enough to offer. They want to bring in Hughes as well. Wilson holds an offer although that was originally for 2018. Swider has been offered and seems like a priority. We offered King and Reddish. Carmody has an offer as well. How many wings do we need in 2018?

We all know reddish isn't coming, I feel like I read somewhere king isn't feeling it. How many years with Hughes have? Wilson we have to wait and see what year he is and what not, for all we know he may choose Florida after their great run. Swider I've heard of haven't watched. And carmody I've never heard of till now tbh

We all know reddish isn't coming, I feel like I read somewhere king isn't feeling it. How many years with Hughes have? Wilson we have to wait and see what year he is and what not, for all we know he may choose Florida after their great run. Swider I've heard of haven't watched. And carmody I've never heard of till now tbh

My point is we have offered a lot of players from centers to point guards for the 2018 class. Many more than usual. You don't generally offer the entire top50 rated kids.

My point is we have offered a lot of players from centers to point guards for the 2018 class. Many more than usual. You don't generally offer the entire top50 rated kids.

I'm just saying there is still people that we haven't offered that should be offered easily

I'm just saying there is still people that we haven't offered that should be offered easily

I get what you are saying but that has never been SU's recruiting strategy under JB. I like the group we have offered. If we get our targeted guys out of that group it will be a great class.

I get what you are saying but that has never been SU's recruiting strategy under JB. I like the group we have offered. If we get our targeted guys out of that group it will be a great class.

I guess I haven't been following cuse recruiting long enough to understand his methods of it..

I guess I haven't been following cuse recruiting long enough to understand his methods of it..

In general with basketball recruiting teams cast a much more specific net than in football. You can only play 5 guys at a time and only really need to have at least 2 guys who can play each position. You'll understand once you've followed it longer.

In general with basketball recruiting teams cast a much more specific net than in football. You can only play 5 guys at a time and only really need to have at least 2 guys who can play each position. You'll understand once you've followed it longer.

I guess I just want to get the best guys that are available in my mind.. I just think that if a recruit like bagley or Williamson can wow the world pretty much with one video then they should wow every catch that watches it. I could understand if we were like ucf or temple then yeah no reason to offer they aren't coming. But we are cuse. I get we aren't the UK or duke right now but we still play in the acc and just went to the final four. All we need is another great class to bring us out this pit of hell.

I guess I just want to get the best guys that are available in my mind.. I just think that if a recruit like bagley or Williamson can wow the world pretty much with one video then they should wow every catch that watches it. I could understand if we were like ucf or temple then yeah no reason to offer they aren't coming. But we are cuse. I get we aren't the UK or duke right now but we still play in the acc and just went to the final four. All we need is another great class to bring us out this pit of hell.

When you aren't Duke/UK you can't just grab as many 5star players as you want year after year. You have to have a group of 4-6 good program players that know the system and will be there 3-4 years. Then each class you bring in a couple possible 1 or 2 and done talents and a couple replacement program players. If you have all 13 ships you go after some high rated guys that are long shots or take a chance at a developmental talent. Last year we had no core/program guys that were uperclassmen and we saw the results. It didn't look anything like SU basketball because no one had been around long enough to really know the system and help the knewer players get to know it.

Just feels like our door is being knocked on and others taking notice. The Ohio St recent de- commit reached out and he's a stud on film(Bazley). Hughes moved his truck up to tomorrow and I'm feeling really optimistic on Thorpe and don't even have Tucker remorse at the moment( ok yes I do. We still have a shot!)And Doljac was impressive I read on this board.

What color is the sky in the world you're living in?

What happens if you give out tons of offers and then some happen to snap accept but then highly rated or more desirable players hold off a bit more but then eventually want to commit but no room?

We will have some good pieces next season. However, the team badly needs two more consistent scorers. As things stand now, Battle and Thompson will not be seeing a lot of space unless we get some new players who can spread the floor effectively. That is why there is so much Tucker agita out there. It is perceived that he is the best available option to be one of those two badly needed scorers. Maybe that is so and maybe it isn't, as in reality he will be an unproven commodity trying to make a jump be it with us or elsewhere.

Replacing White will not be easy. We were an NIT team with his having a terrific season. I doubt we get any one player who will match his production. That is why I say we need two more legitimate threats to have any hope for a successful season.