Starting to remember why I hate VPI fans so much... | Syracusefan.com

Starting to remember why I hate VPI fans so much...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
This thread pretty much sums it up.

What a bunch of nouveau rich morons. Seriously, someone says they would rather play at NC State's new arena than MSG. Wow. SU better run these yokels off the court tomorrow.

I think there are two factors at play. The first is that Va Tech seems to have a much higher percentage of non-alumni, recent bandwagon fans than any other ACC team. The second is that they have basically been irrelevant in basketball, so Hokie fans generally don't know what the big, historic venues are. I'm certain if you asked them about the Palestra at least 75% of Hokie fans would think it was an opera house, with no idea what city it was located in.

I told my kids yesterday that Syracuse was playing Virginia Tech. My seven-year-old daughter, who knows nothing about sports, blurted out: "EWWW! I HATE Virginia Tech!". I was so proud.

This thread pretty much sums it up.

What a bunch of nouveau rich morons. Seriously, someone says they would rather play at NC State's new arena than MSG. Wow. SU better run these yokels off the court tomorrow.
Always interesting to get the special perspective that can only come from Hokie fans.

That thread reads like a bunch of 5 year old vegetarian children talking about the merits of filet mignon.

Well it seems they haven't changed since the BE days - let's treat them the same way tonight we did back then on the court. Just like old times.

Let's go Orange!

To be fair, a bunch of them are saying MSG is a special place.

WHich of course it is. But it is probably more special to people who are more likely to have grown up in the NY area.

Are you sure they didn't mention Reynolds, which is the old NC state building, which had a ton of history to it as well?

LOL, one guy defending Reynolds and saying it is storied like "Carmichael, Cameron, Cole, and Cassel".

One of those things isn't like the other, one of those things just doesn't belong.

The great thing about moving to the ACC is the good possibility of getting this rivalry going. Other than ND in Football and Duke in Basketball, I loathe no team more in either sport than Virginia Tech.

I never really understood the appeal of MSG. It's ugly as hell and they tore down the original penn station to build it. Have you ever seen pictures of the original penn station?

And who coined "the world's most famous arena?" Sounds like dbag marketing.

Just my opinion. :D

The great thing about moving to the ACC is the good possibility of getting this rivalry going. Other than ND in Football and Duke in Basketball, I loathe no team more in either sport than Virginia Tech.

Good post.

And who coined "the world's most famous arena?" Sounds like dbag marketing.

I mean, we self-anointed the Dome as the "best on-campus sports facility in America."

In fairness, what arena on the planet would you say is more famous than MSG? What really even comes close?

Are you sure they didn't mention Reynolds, which is the old NC state building, which had a ton of history to it as well?

LOL, one guy defending Reynolds and saying it is storied like "Carmichael, Cameron, Cole, and Cassel".

One of those things isn't like the other, one of those things just doesn't belong.
You're right Knicks, I mis-read that post.

With that said, I think MSG , both the old buildings and the new have a ton of history that everyone can appreciate, not just Northeasterners. They just make it sound like they would rather play at places down south rather than at the mecca of college basketball. That's just crazy talk to me.

The format of that forum is stone age. How did any of you read more than one post.

With that said, I think MSG , both the old buildings and the new have a ton of history that everyone can appreciate, not just Northeasterners. They just make it sound like they would rather play at places down south rather than at the mecca of college basketball. That's just crazy talk to me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree.

There's a difference between "I don't get the appeal of MSG, etc etc" and "MSG is great, but there are also other great arenas in the south" which I can see a southerner being more into, since that is what they grew up with. (As long as you don't include Cassel Coliseum there, that was a huge LOL). I feel like most of the (admittedly) few posts I read there were more in the second camp.

But as someone who grew up 35 miles or whatever from the Garden, it's obviously #1 to me, by far.

For me personally, I'll take an old, ugly, quasi-uncomfortable stadium that's oozing with history and nostalgia (e.g. Fenway, Wrigley, Lambeau, MSG, Allen Fieldhouse, many college football stadiums) over a brand new place every day of the week.

The format of that forum is stone age. How did any of you read more than one post.

It hasn't changed since 1999...is there a way I can avoid having to click on every stinking post? Wow, that forum sucks format wise. This website is so much better to use. Hopefully we can get that premium board up and running soon.

=
In fairness, what arena on the planet would you say is more famous than MSG? What really even comes close?

Never really thought about it. Maybe Wimbledon? Do people outside of the US really know MSG? I'd think people outside the US would know famous, old baseball stadiums over MSG.

[and I'm not arguing MSG being the home of college basketball, that's pretty certain]

This might be applicable to football as their used to be a developing rivalry between the two schools in the first decade of Big East football (they are obviously far apart now), but Cuse basketball would have to degenerate substantially for there to be anything close to a rivalry with VTech. Their hoops program is 5th rate trash, a never-has-been, a glorified Rutgers.

Never really thought about it. Maybe Wimbledon? Do people outside of the US really know MSG? I'd think people outside the US would know famous, old baseball stadiums over MSG.

Besides being in the media capital of the world, I think what makes MSG "the world's most famous arena" is that it's history resonates with so many different types of people: NBA fans, NHL fans, college basketball fans, tennis fans, dog show fans, boxing fans, and huge moments in politics occurred there as well.

This might be applicable to football as their used to be a developing rivalry between the two schools in the first decade of Big East football (they are obviously far apart now), but Cuse basketball would have to degenerate substantially for there to be anything close to a rivalry with VTech. Their hoops program is 5th rate trash, a never-has-been, a glorified Rutgers.

Point taken.

Besides being in the media capital of the world, I think what makes MSG "the world's most famous arena" is that it's history resonates with so many different types of people: NBA fans, NHL fans, college basketball fans, tennis fans, dog show fans, boxing fans, and huge moments in politics occurred there as well.

Elvis and Sinatra are two other standout events that come to mind. Not long ago MSG network ran a series on the 50 greatest moments at MSG, however I can't seem to find a link to the official list.

I can state with certainty that its known in Brasil; I got to play tour guide in NYC for our upper level folks from Brasil and it was one of the sites they had on their list. Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, MSG, a few others.

Sadly it appears to be more famous in Brasil than in East Jeezez, VA or where ever the hell Va Tech is...

Tad bit ethnocentric there. MSG is world famous but there are other more famous venues in this world that people would rather visit.

To the original topic, I've never forgotten or stopped hating Va Tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom