State rankings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

State rankings

Does anything impress you? You sound like a typical CNY fan

are you referencing syracuse football over the last 10 years, recruiting over the last 10 years, or mike williams mental aptitude?

thats a clown question, bro.

This is a slightly revised version of the list I posted on May 23rd...
NY players in general do an awful job getting recruited. Few go to the big camps, many do not even make their film available. I don't think a bunch of them even have film. This needs to be addressed. The camps SU is holding in different areas of the state help address this weakness and are a smart move. The other issue is that many of the best football players in NYS also play other sports, which hinders their ability to focus on football skills and limits their ability to attend camps and get the attention they deserve.

That is the big thing. And it is very surprising to me. I think I have pretty good understanding of this as I grew up in Syracuse and moved to Atlanta in 8th grade before returning to Syracuse U.

The best athletes all play 2-3 sports in Syracuse. And LAX always seemed to be the common denominator.

In GA, which is a top 5 producer for both football and basketball everyone concentrated mainly on their 1 sport. If they ever picked up a 2nd sport, it was almost always track.

are you referencing syracuse football over the last 10 years, recruiting over the last 10 years, or mike williams mental aptitude?

thats a clown question, bro.
I was referring to your view on the GA kids as Cam Lynch, Morris, etc. don't seem to impress you because they did not receive "big time" offers. Now you're saying Mike Williams has been just ok? He had nearly 1,000 yards with 11 TDs his rookie season with Josh Freeman as his QB. Freeman isn't exactly a world beater in the pocket

I was referring to your view on the GA kids as Cam Lynch, Morris, etc. don't seem to impress you because they did not receive "big time" offers. Now you're saying Mike Williams has been just ok? He had nearly 1,000 yards with 11 TDs his rookie season with Josh Freeman as his QB. Freeman isn't exactly a world beater in the pocket

for the last time, i am sorry if i was misunderstood...

I never said they were bad players. but they are the scraps of GA. I have a tough time calling GA a "footprint" if we get kids that UGA and Ga Tech don't recruit at all.

Josh Freeman was considered a very good QB that year. he had a 96 rating and 25 td's and 6 int's. thats about as impressive as it comes.

mike williams had a good rookie year and a sophomore slump. average it out and you get OK. i think it is safe to say that almost everyone on the board agrees with my opinion on his mental approach. did you see the video he posted to his facebook account last week? its him sitting in the back of a limocar counting 3 or 4 wads of $100's.

Josh Freeman was considered a very good QB that year. he had a 96 rating and 25 td's and 6 int's. thats about as impressive as it comes.

mike williams had a good rookie year and a sophomore slump. average it out and you get OK. i think it is safe to say that almost everyone on the board agrees with my opinion on his mental approach. did you see the video he posted to his facebook account last week? its him sitting in the back of a limocar counting 3 or 4 wads of $100's.

Did anyone here actually watch the Bucs play? Mike Williams was very, very average last year. And yes, having seen his Facebook page, it seems he hasn't grown up that much at all.

Was Mike Williams actually counting the $100's? If so, I would say that he did pay attention in school a little more than I had been previously led to believe. That shows a certain degree of growth, doesn't it?

Tomcat great write up one point I disagree with is Hopkins (I think he is a good player) I feel he is stiff in the hips and his foot speed needs improvement. I agree with you about his ability to be nasty however I think his technique and upside don't offer nearly as much as Officer does however thats just my opinion.

1. Ebenezer Ogundeko DE
2. Augustus Edwards RB
3. Laray Smith RB
4. Tommy Hopkins OL (UConn)
5. Malique Belfort WR
6. Ousmane Camara DE
7. Folo Fatukasi DT
8. Alex Officer OG
9. Devan Carter RB
10. Cam Stapleton TE
11. Chris Laviano QB
12. Nick Sorrenti FB/LB
13. Stephon Johnson ATH
14. Aaaqil Sheppard LB
15. Aaron Jones OLB
16. Delvin Brennan OL
17 Travon Reid DB
18. Eddie Robinson WR
19. Shaquille Brooks LB
20. Jordan Fuchs WR

Yes this is a great list and more in tune with reality.

Do you have any info on a New Rochelle defensive back? I heard he's camping at Syracuse.

By the way, the Rutgers folks are assuming Laviano is theirs to lose (he only has a Rutgers offer) but their chatter on Laviano is that he's been tearing up camps - yet can't seem to get any other offers. An inch too short blah blah.

The best one I read though was that Cuse never offered him to basically save face because he's been a Rutgers lock for a few months now. Cuse had no chance at landing him so we didn't offer and face being embarrased by losing him to rutties

Yes this is a great list and more in tune with reality.

Do you have any info on a New Rochelle defensive back? I heard he's camping at Syracuse.

By the way, the Rutgers folks are assuming Laviano is theirs to lose (he only has a Rutgers offer) but their chatter on Laviano is that he's been tearing up camps - yet can't seem to get any other offers. An inch too short blah blah.

The best one I read though was that Cuse never offered him to basically save face because he's been a Rutgers lock for a few months now. Cuse had no chance at landing him so we didn't offer and face being embarrased by losing him to rutties
I think the New Rochelle DB you are referring to is Khalil Edney. He is in the board recruiting database. 6'2, 167, runs well, plays QB for them but projects as a DB in college. Good raw athlete, but if there is an area where SU is well stocked for the future, it is probably here. There is little room at the inn...it will be hard for him to get an offer unless he is amazing at camp.

Link

I think the New Rochelle DB you are referring to is Khalil Edney. He is in the board recruiting database. 6'2, 167, runs well, plays QB for them but projects as a DB in college. Good raw athlete, but if there is an area where SU is well stocked for the future, it is probably here. There is little room at the inn...it will be hard for him to get an offer unless he is amazing at camp.

Link

That name didn't ring a bell so I did some digging. Kid is Chris Cooper - from New Rochelle but attends Iona Prep. Listed from 5-11 / 175 to 6-0 / 185 - defensive back. Just attended UConn's camp and I think will be at Syracuse's as well.

That name didn't ring a bell so I did some digging. Kid is Chris Cooper - from New Rochelle but attends Iona Prep. Listed from 5-11 / 175 to 6-0 / 185 - defensive back. Just attended UConn's camp and I think will be at Syracuse's as well.
He has been in our database for a long time too.

Linkage

@JohnGarcia_Jr
Staten Island (N.Y.) Tottenville WR Malique Belfort picked up a pair of new offers recently as recruitment picks up. Story later...

@JohnGarcia_Jr
Staten Island (N.Y.) Tottenville WR Malique Belfort picked up a pair of new offers recently as recruitment picks up. Story later...

Gosh I hope it's SU. I really, really, really, like Belfort.

Scout lists him as having offers from arizona state, boston colloge, maryland, illinois and temple.

don't know if those are new or not

Scout lists him as having offers from arizona state, boston colloge, maryland, illinois and temple.

don't know if those are new or not

ASU, BC and Temple are not new

Maryland and Illinois are new

We have not offered yet.

@JohnGarcia_Jr
Staten Island (N.Y.) Tottenville WR Malique Belfort details recent offers, his thoughts on "NY's college team" & more

1. Ebenezer Ogundeko DE
2. Augustus Edwards RB
3. Laray Smith RB
5. Malique Belfort WR
6. Ousmane Camara DE
7. Folo Fatukasi DT
8. Alex Officer OG
9. Devan Carter RB
10. Cam Stapleton TE
11. Chris Laviano QB
12. Nick Sorrenti FB/LB
13. Stephon Johnson ATH
14. Aaaqil Sheppard LB
15. Aaron Jones OLB
16. Delvin Brennan OL
17 Travon Reid DB
18. Eddie Robinson WR
19. Shaquille Brooks LB
20. Jordan Fuchs WR

A few comments...

NY players in general do an awful job getting recruited. Few go to the big camps, many do not even make their film available. I don't think a bunch of them even have film. This needs to be addressed. The camps SU is holding in different areas of the state help address this weakness and are a smart move. The other issue is that many of the best football players in NYS also play other sports, which hinders their ability to focus on football skills and limits their ability to attend camps and get the attention they deserve.

Smith is the fastest kid in New York right now. One of the fastest in the Northeast. Has the height to play a number of positions, needs to fill out a little to play RB but he has the frame and I think he has star potential. Definitely could be a big time playmaker at the BCS level.

Hopkins has legit OT size. Ended up switching Officer and Tommy after watching Tommy's film, which I thought was more impressive. He did a much better job dominating his man physically. I like his nastiness, looks like he wants to crush his guy on every play. Surprised DM did not offer him. I think UConn got a good one here.

Haven't seen any film of Belfort...this ranking for him is based on his offers and his measureables.

Really like Camara's film. Quick, athletic, strong. Excellent raw ability. Not sure where he will end up. I think he wants to play MIKE but he is already around 250, so that seems unlikely. I think he ends up on the DL.

Am a fan of the film of DT Folo Fatukasi as well. Big tough kid who physically dominated his man, hit hard, good tackling technique. Would love to see both these guys with offers.

I like Officer's film. Moves well, has good balance. I think agility is his biggest strength right now. Has a nice frame but I was not overly impressed with his raw power/aggressiveness. Did not get a big push back on the DL he was blocking, not good for a guy his size. Not big enough to play tackle for Syracuse but he could become a starter at OG or C after a couple of years learning techniques and getting stronger.

Glad to see Devan Carter get an offer from Syracuse. Have been a big fan of his for a long time now. Love big guys who can run.

Nick Sorrenti is a football player. Tough guy, strong, played a huge role getting his team to the state finals in the Dome. He can play for my team any time.

Stephon Johnson is the best prospect out of Buffalo in this class. Really fast, one of the top athletes in the state, could play WR or CB for us. No idea what his grades are...they have been a consistent problem for players out of that city in past years.

Aaaqil Sheppard is a tall rangy LB from New Rochelle. Very athletic, I like his tackling, I like his speed, I like his aggressiveness. Would be a great blitzer in a Shafer defense. Best LB prospect I have seen in the state.

Aaron Jones is one of those kids that plays two sports...he is also a fine lacrosse player for Chittenango. There is no film of him I can find anywhere. I saw him play only because Chittenango played in the Dome in the state finals. Played at a small school with poor competition, has not gotten great coaching, but he is another big kid who can run. Will probably end up playing lacrosse in college. It is a shame because he could be a really good football player at the college level.

Travon Reid (sometimes listed as Travon Reid Segure) is one of the top athletes out of NYC in 2013. Has been compared to Brandon Reddish. Watching his film, I see more of Steven Rene than Brandon. Really small. The NY Post says he has an offer from Syracuse. Not sure that is true. Looks like a smaller version of Charles Davis, but not nearly the prospect Charles is. Don't see how we could take both players in the same class.

Eddie Robinson is another two sport athlete. One of the best basketball players on Long Island, he will probably play basketball in college. But he has nice size, good speed, runs great routes and has terrific hands.

Jordan Fuchs is another basketball player, a D1 prospect for CTK and he will almost surely play basketball in college. But this kid is a terrific athlete who could be an outstanding WR in college. At 6'7, 210 pounds, he is an intriguing player. If he grew up in Louisiana, he would be a HS AA prospect at WR. Would love to see SU get him to one of their camps and evaluate him.

Caleb Scepaniak was an early favorite of Tom Lemming, who named him one of the top 50 sophomores in the country in 2010. That appears to be an embarrassing call by Lemming...

You should start a blog. You do a really outstanding job of evaluating the football team and incoming prospects.

1. Ebenezer Ogundeko DE
2. Augustus Edwards RB
3. Laray Smith RB
5. Malique Belfort WR
6. Ousmane Camara DE
7. Folo Fatukasi DT
8. Alex Officer OG
9. Devan Carter RB
10. Cam Stapleton TE
11. Chris Laviano QB
12. Nick Sorrenti FB/LB
13. Stephon Johnson ATH
14. Aaaqil Sheppard LB
15. Aaron Jones OLB
16. Delvin Brennan OL
17 Travon Reid DB
18. Eddie Robinson WR
19. Shaquille Brooks LB
20. Jordan Fuchs WR

A few comments...

Smith is the fastest kid in New York right now. One of the fastest in the Northeast. Has the height to play a number of positions, needs to fill out a little to play RB but he has the frame and I think he has star potential. Definitely could be a big time playmaker at the BCS level.

Hopkins has legit OT size. Ended up switching Officer and Tommy after watching Tommy's film, which I thought was more impressive. He did a much better job dominating his man physically. I like his nastiness, looks like he wants to crush his guy on every play. Surprised DM did not offer him. I think UConn got a good one here.

Haven't seen any film of Belfort...this ranking for him is based on his offers and his measureables.

Really like Camara's film. Quick, athletic, strong. Excellent raw ability. Not sure where he will end up. I think he wants to play MIKE but he is already around 250, so that seems unlikely. I think he ends up on the DL.

Am a fan of the film of DT Folo Fatukasi as well. Big tough kid who physically dominated his man, hit hard, good tackling technique. Would love to see both these guys with offers.

I like Officer's film. Moves well, has good balance. I think agility is his biggest strength right now. Has a nice frame but I was not overly impressed with his raw power/aggressiveness. Did not get a big push back on the DL he was blocking, not good for a guy his size. Not big enough to play tackle for Syracuse but he could become a starter at OG or C after a couple of years learning techniques and getting stronger.

Glad to see Devan Carter get an offer from Syracuse. Have been a big fan of his for a long time now. Love big guys who can run.

Nick Sorrenti is a football player. Tough guy, strong, played a huge role getting his team to the state finals in the Dome. He can play for my team any time.

Stephon Johnson is the best prospect out of Buffalo in this class. Really fast, one of the top athletes in the state, could play WR or CB for us. No idea what his grades are...they have been a consistent problem for players out of that city in past years.

Aaaqil Sheppard is a tall rangy LB from New Rochelle. Very athletic, I like his tackling, I like his speed, I like his aggressiveness. Would be a great blitzer in a Shafer defense. Best LB prospect I have seen in the state.

Aaron Jones is one of those kids that plays two sports...he is also a fine lacrosse player for Chittenango. There is no film of him I can find anywhere. I saw him play only because Chittenango played in the Dome in the state finals. Played at a small school with poor competition, has not gotten great coaching, but he is another big kid who can run. Will probably end up playing lacrosse in college. It is a shame because he could be a really good football player at the college level.

Travon Reid (sometimes listed as Travon Reid Segure) is one of the top athletes out of NYC in 2013. Has been compared to Brandon Reddish. Watching his film, I see more of Steven Rene than Brandon. Really small. The NY Post says he has an offer from Syracuse. Not sure that is true. Looks like a smaller version of Charles Davis, but not nearly the prospect Charles is. Don't see how we could take both players in the same class.

Eddie Robinson is another two sport athlete. One of the best basketball players on Long Island, he will probably play basketball in college. But he has nice size, good speed, runs great routes and has terrific hands.

Jordan Fuchs is another basketball player, a D1 prospect for CTK and he will almost surely play basketball in college. But this kid is a terrific athlete who could be an outstanding WR in college. At 6'7, 210 pounds, he is an intriguing player. If he grew up in Louisiana, he would be a HS AA prospect at WR. Would love to see SU get him to one of their camps and evaluate him.

Caleb Scepaniak was an early favorite of Tom Lemming, who named him one of the top 50 sophomores in the country in 2010. That appears to be an embarrassing call by Lemming...
Couple of updates for NYS HS football fans. James Coleman, a 6'3, 195 athlete from Christ the King HS in Queens (not even included in my list) recently verbaled to UB.

His teammate, Jordan Fuchs, recently got an offer to play football at UConn. He has around 20 offers for basketball, including ones from Florida, Providence, Rutgers and Xavier. It will be interesting to see where he goes. I am still intrigued with the thought of a 6'6 220 WR who is really athletic. I think we are still looking for a WR. If we strike out with our top prospects, he would not be a bad fall back plan.

Couple of updates for NYS HS football fans. James Coleman, a 6'3, 195 athlete from Christ the King HS in Queens (not even included in my list) recently verbaled to UB.

His teammate, Jordan Fuchs, recently got an offer to play football at UConn. He has around 20 offers for basketball, including ones from Florida, Providence, Rutgers and Xavier. It will be interesting to see where he goes. I am still intrigued with the thought of a 6'6 220 WR who is really athletic. I think we are still looking for a WR. If we strike out with our top prospects, he would not be a bad fall back plan.
Not sure how reliable this is:
2/15

According to his father has offers for basketball from Rutgers, Columbia, Boston U, Manhattan, Providence, Ohio State, Army, Yale, Bard College, University of Texas at Arlington, Rhode Island and Stonybrook...offers for football from Rutgers, Yale, Duke, UConn, Florida State, Ohio State and Fordham.

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/...59-13-ny-wr-sf-jordan-fuchs-verbal-offer.html

Not to derail this but If you look at Mike Williams in the NFL he is actually doing well. His rookie year he was an under the radar type and had an excellent season as did Josh Freeman. In his Sophomore year NFL defenses knew how to defend him and started to double team him. Couple that with the fact Mwil isn't a #1 NFL WR, hes a #2. With the addition of Vincent Jackson he will move back to his natural position as the #2 WR on the team and will be facing single coverage all year long with VJax taking the majority of the attention. I actually expect him to have an excellent 3rd year in Tampa Bay as they also picked up a good RB in Doug Martin who is in the mold of a poor man's Ray Rice as well as Dallas Clark at TE to give TB a good aerial attack. Mwil definitely has the potential to have a very excellent 3rd season and I'm planning on grabbing him in all of my fantasy leagues this year around the 10th-12th round. He could end up being one of the steals of fantasy drafts this year.

Unless Reddish comes in this year and picks off 8 passes ,I'll be pissed he isn't flashing his moves on offense. What a waste IMO.:crazy: Love your analysis Tomcat.!!!

Unless Reddish comes in this year and picks off 8 passes ,I'll be pissed he isn't flashing his moves on offense. What a waste IMO.:crazy: Love your analysis Tomcat.!!!
Because you know better than the staff that Reddish would be better on Offense than Defense? Come on Cali, that's a ridiculous statement. Reddish played last year against USC and looked pretty decent in coverage. You have no idea if he'd be able to get open or score TDs on offense.

Reddish played last year against USC and looked pretty decent in coverage. You have no idea if he'd be able to get open or score TDs on offense.

And he looked like a stud in the spring.