Statue of quitters? | Syracusefan.com

Statue of quitters?

priestp

Scout Team
I understand that Dr. Gross is moving along with the building of a monument for the 5 men that quit the SU football team. I also understand that some of the football alumni are threatening to withhold donation money if the statue is erected. Is this statue really that important?

I hadn't heard that. I think it's best to leave an issue as divisive as this one alone. That season was very damaging to SU's football program. If one of the academic programs feels the need for a statue commemorating them, then let them fund it and keep it on their grounds. I don't think the SU Athletic department should be doing this.

I hadn't heard that. I think it's best to leave an issue as divisive as this one alone. That season was very damaging to SU's football program. If one of the academic programs feels the need for a statue commemorating them, then let them fund it and keep it on their grounds. I don't think the SU Athletic department should be doing this.

Good post, agree 100%

It was 9 guys, not 5. And they honored them on the field in 2006 with lettermen jackets.

Here's the 1970 Sports Illustrated article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1084105/index.htm

'Schwartzwalder jerked a thumb at the paper and growled, "Nobody wants to talk about football anymore. All they want to talk about is that. Some young kid I never saw before came into my office today. He asked me about that. I told him that I didn't talk to Communists, draft dodgers, flag burners or people trying to destroy our country."

I'd say that old Ben might have been slightly out of touch with the time.

'Schwartzwalder jerked a thumb at the paper and growled, "Nobody wants to talk about football anymore. All they want to talk about is that. Some young kid I never saw before came into my office today. He asked me about that. I told him that I didn't talk to Communists, draft dodgers, flag burners or people trying to destroy our country."

Sounds old school- something my grandfather or the WWII generation would say.

Wow, that's really dusting one off from the past... why are we even talking about this now?

I don't understand the need for a statue for this, but it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Sounds old school- something my grandfather or the WWII generation would say.

Well, this story was from 1970... the country was in the midst of the Vietnam War... the 1960's and 1970's were probably one of the most turbulent times in the US history, and many had very strong feelings about those types of things.

"As a major in the 82nd Airborne during World War II, three times he jumped into combat, and for it they gave him the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, four battle stars and a presidential unit citation. And a Purple Heart."

I'd say Old Ben had the right to be whatever the hell he wanted to be.

He could be whatever the hell he wanted to be, but at the time it may have said something about his ability to relate to the age group that he was coaching?

Old Ben lost touch.

You're cherry picking...you failed to mention that Ben actually gave the guy an interview.

I understand that Dr. Gross is moving along with the building of a monument for the 5 men that quit the SU football team. I also understand that some of the football alumni are threatening to withhold donation money if the statue is erected. Is this statue really that important?

Mike Williams is getting a statue? I want to be on record as not supporting it, but hoping it's tastefully done of course.

Mike Williams is getting a statue? I want to be on record as not supporting it, but hoping it's tastefully done of course.
Williams and who else...Jonathan Murphy?

So which one are you? Communist, draft dodger, flag burner, or Obama supporter?

Turning Stone should sponsor it.

It was 9 guys, not 5. And they honored them on the field in 2006 with lettermen jackets.

Here's the 1970 Sports Illustrated article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1084105/index.htm
I don't know who was wrong or who was right back then but I do know that was an extremely divisive time for the football program. If the goal to get the fans and donors united and solidly behind the program, does it make sense to do this?

The author of the story, Pat Patnum, was wrong about that 1970 team by the way. After losing to #15 Houston on the road, and to Kansas and Illinois, Syracuse won 6 of its last 7, including a trouncing of#15 Pitt and Schwartzalder's last victory against Penn State, a 24-7 upset in Happy Valley. Syracuse even cracked the top 20 briefly after the win over Pitt. It was to be the last great run of football in the Schwartzwalder era.

Link

This is what they are looking to build a statue for? Really? Couldn't they have found a more divisive issue to celebrate? Maybe they could build a statue of Tommy Kane next... I'm sure that'd piss off more than a few people.

What a waste, and there is still no Jim Brown statue. 18 year old kids forcing coaching changes? I'm a minority but this does not seem like a big deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just told that DG is adamant about this. I saw on another thread there was discussion about the local paper, this would be something for them to ask about...no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom