Stephon Marbury | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Stephon Marbury

I know I saw many football players with my own eyes with ridiculous cars in my day. Don’t recall any basketball players but they kind of kept to themselves on south from what I remember. I also heard second hand from an athletes mouth than they got deals with local dealers.
I saw basketball players in the late 90s driving some cars that I’d consider top of the line.

I think we’ve had a similar discussion about cars before, but I can verify in the mid-late 90’s that players like Jason Hart & Ryan Blackwell drove top of the line cars. In high school I bagged groceries at Peter’s (shout out the old days!) & put the groceries in their cars directly.

Also, the house I grew up in was right across the street from one of John Wallace’s friends. Wallace pulled up more than once driving a white Range Rover… with the loudest sound system I’ve ever heard in a driven vehicle.

Coupe Jardine
I Got You Thumbs Up GIF by Patriot Act

Very underrated post.

Historically how many SU players were spotted with nice cars on campus? Has that ever been observed?

I know a lot of our guys when I was on campus and when I’d come back to visit would drive pretty expensive cars.

Not saying you’re saying this but I think it’s not always as simple as “scholarship athlete for big time athletics is driving a nice car so he was bought.” It’s not rare for scholarship guys to live with walk ons or be good friends with walk ons that come from a pretty affluent family. They drive pretty nice cars and let the players use them whenever they want. Not even taking into account the rich girls or kids from money who want the status of hanging out with the players.

I know a lot of our guys when I was on campus and when I’d come back to visit would drive pretty expensive cars.

Not saying you’re saying this but I think it’s not always as simple as “scholarship athlete for big time athletics is driving a nice car so he was bought.” It’s not rare for scholarship guys to live with walk ons or be good friends with walk ons that come from a pretty affluent family. They drive pretty nice cars and let the players use them whenever they want. Not even taking into account the rich girls or kids from money who want the status of hanging out with the players.
Does that theory go for other schools where there have been reports of players driving nice cars or just on the hill?

Does that theory go for other schools where there have been reports of players driving nice cars or just on the hill?

It’s not really a theory. It’s what I know for a fact to be the case at a number of schools where a football or basketball player will have pretty much full use of a benz or other luxury car that belongs to a friend/girlfriend/walk on. It’s not really that rare of a situation it just brings different assumptions when it involves a big time college athlete being seen driving a nice car.

Given that Adrian Autry started for 4 years before him and Jason Hart started for 4 years after him, I’m going to suggest that he may have ingested a little too much Vaseline back in the 2000’s to remember it all clearly.

I assume Marbury was a 5 star McDonalds All-American coming out of high school and the highest rated pg. If so, you don't tell that individual that he won't be starting. So, I don't believe Marbury is telling the truth. Who did we have at the point that Marbury couldn't unseat?

I assume Marbury was a 5 star McDonalds All-American coming out of high school and the highest rated pg. If so, you don't tell that individual that he won't be starting. So, I don't believe Marbury is telling the truth. Who did we have at the point that Marbury couldn't unseat?
He's not telling the truth. GT paid. Boeheim didn't. It's really that simple and at this point I don't know what the benefit is for Marbury to make things up.

Z Sims ended up starting that year.

Marbury 100% would’ve started if he came to SU.

Nowadays I think you’d play them together and it would be a great combo. Like the college version of the Eric Snow/Allen Iverson backcourt for the Sixers.

I can see boeheim telling him that too.
Me too. Another factor, they expected Michael Lloyd to be back on that team. He started 94-95 and was pretty good. If I remember there was something late in the off-season where his JUCO transcripts were called into question or something, and he was either dismissed or declared ineligible, I can't remember. But at the time they were recruiting Marbury they thought they had him coming back, in addition to Sims, both seniors.

I can see boeheim telling him that too.

I think there is about a 0.0% chance that Boeheim told anything remotely like that to Marbury. We recruited Marbury for YEARS -- he was universally considered one of the top players in the class, he was an NYC legend, and we wanted him bad.

That's rationalized semi-fiction on Marbury's part, to put a humorous spin on why he opted for GT over SU without revealing the real reason.

I think there is about a 0.0% chance that Boeheim told anything remotely like that to Marbury. We recruited Marbury for YEARS -- he was universally considered one of the top players in the class, he was an NYC legend, and we wanted him bad.

That's rationalized semi-fiction on Marbury's part, to put a humorous spin on why he opted for GT over SU without revealing the real reason.
If he expected Lloyd back I can absolutely see it. We’re talking about the guy who didn’t started the number three pick in the draft and wouldn’t started Kadary when anyone with eyes knew who the best point guard on the team is. These are just two examples, there are plenty more dating back to when Marbury was in college.

If he expected Lloyd back I can absolutely see it. We’re talking about the guy who didn’t started the number three pick in the draft and wouldn’t started Kadary when anyone with eyes knew who the best point guard on the team is. These are just two examples, there are plenty more dating back to when Marbury was in college.

So... your position is that we wouldn't start Marbury because of Michael Lloyd.

Got it.

To which, I reiterate:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom