Sterling banned for life | Syracusefan.com

Sterling banned for life

Very excessive punishment. It perfectly exemplifies the butthurt culture of modern America. People need to realize they don't have a right to not be offended.

Wouldn't have made this announcement unless he was sure he had the votes to back him up.

Agreed--doubtful he'd do that.

Problem is, Sterling is an obstinate litigator. Will be interesting to see if he fights this / ties it up.

Very excessive punishment. It perfectly exemplifies the butthurt culture of modern America. People need to realize they don't have a right to not be offended.
Apparently, you have not paid much attention to what has happened in America since the election of the first African-American president.

OrangeCrush22 said:

I agree people get way too offended! Or is it people have way too much free time on their hands to worry about what other people are doing with their lives? Either way I really don't care what he said.

The fact is there's racism everywhere and there'll always be racism everywhere. Name a race and there is always Racism towards someone else, it's just human nature.

RF2044 said:
Agreed--doubtful he'd do that. Problem is, Sterling is an obstinate litigator. Will be interesting to see if he fights this / ties it up.
Of course he will. And he can make it a fiasco. The ban was appropriate and the right course. The forced sale is a real problem IMO and the other owners better think long and hard about that vote. I have a feeling it could get ugly.

Maybe the nba already has a settlement in place with him

And the other NBA owners have a right not to be in business with someone who disgusts them.
Because you hate a coworker you have the right to take his/her property and fine them over 2 million dollars? Doesn't it sound ridiculous when you change up the terms used?

Because you hate a coworker you have the right to take his/her property and fine them over 2 million dollars? Doesn't it sound ridiculous when you change up the terms used?

It's not a "co-worker". Not sure you understand how the NBA is set up.

OrangeCrush22 said:
Bad analogy IMO. Employees have few rights against each other. Better analogy is a private club/association. Can it kick a dues paying member out for violating bylaws?

In the least surprising owner follow up imaginable, Mark Cuban has already tweeted 100% support for Silver.

The Clippers are one of the NBA's franchises. A franchise owner cannot go out on his own and do things against the wishes of the NBA offices.

I wonder who will get the first Sterling interview. I hope it is Oprah or Dr. Phil.

This analogy doesn't work. If a McDonald's franchisee did something in his personal/business life the was extremely detrimental to the McDonald's brand, I imagine McDonald's and other franchisees would use whatever means necessary within their franchise agreement to take away the franchise. The teams are franchises of the NBA. The owners are franchise owners. It's a pretty exclusive club and I imagine their membership rules are explicit.

I agree people get way too offended! Or is it people have way too much free time on their hands to worry about what other people are doing with their lives? Either way I really don't care what he said.

The fact is there's racism everywhere and there'll always be racism everywhere. Name a race and there is always Racism towards someone else, it's just human nature.

It isn't human nature, that's for sure. The nature comes from growing up within a specific culture and being taught that everything your culture does is right and everything another culture does is wrong. People need to be taught that other peoples' cultures are different, but that doesn't make them wrong. There are a lot of values from just about every culture out there. There are also negatives.

What you're failing to realize is that if he's allowed to stay then we're sending the message to several million people that racism is okay. Instead, you can use this as an example and say that racism, under any circumstances, will not be tolerated. Which is exactly how it should be.

For America to be so advanced and yet so far behind in knowing right from wrong is honestly fascinating.