Sterling banned for life | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sterling banned for life

How do they enforce this, he owns the team. Even if they can try to force a sale if he resists it will be in litigation till after this guy dies.

I'm sure they can move forward with the vote under the criteria laid out by Silver in the press conference. If 3/4 of the owners vote to oust him, he's out.

I'd assume [without knowing the details of the franchise agreement] that if Sterling wishes to contest this, that he's seek and injunction and tie this up in litigation, which might delay his removal. It could ultimately prevent / reverse it, I suppose, if he were to win the case.

Could get very, very messy--especially once the next sports-related scandal occurs and people psychologically move on from their moral "outrage" over this incident to other things.

Extremely harsh penalty but pretty much the only move Silver could make. The outrage that would be going on right now if Sterling was simply fined or suspended would be insane. We've been hearing all week that this would be Silver's first true test but he really only had one option: remove Sterling and fine him the maximum amount.

This analogy doesn't work. If a McDonald's franchisee did something in his personal/business life the was extremely detrimental to the McDonald's brand, I imagine McDonald's and other franchisees would use whatever means necessary within their franchise agreement to take away the franchise. The teams are franchises of the NBA. The owners are franchise owners. It's a pretty exclusive club and I imagine their membership rules are explicit.

To steal a quote from Mitch Hedberg, which sort of illustrates the point that franchise owners have to toe the corporate line:
  • "Every McDonald's commercial ends the same way: Prices and participation may vary. I wanna open a McDonald's and not participate in anything. I wanna be a stubborn McDonald's owner. 'Cheeseburgers? Nope! We got spaghetti and blankets.'"

Would everyone please stop saying this? And would one of the lawyers here please explain why this statement is so off base?

Haha, I think all the non-lawyers have already nailed it.

Seriously, Sterling's despicable and I'm all for the owners doing whatever they want to people within their club, but it is rather odd that this penalty is handed down for verbal actions rather than a) [as Moqui said earlier in the week] Sterling's even worse discriminatory behavior over the course of decades or b) tangible harmful actions perpetrated by many of these high-profile people.

In professional sports, getting drunk and killing someone with your car deserves a slap on the wrist. Saying hurtful things deserves a seven-figure fine and a lifetime ban. Perverse.

Funny how you paint all around your disdain for American culture until you just cannot help yourself in the final sentence. To presume racist attitudes are found only here in America is just so incredibly naive.

Whether or not disliking others who do not look or act like you is human nature, it exists everywhere - not just in America. Ever been to a European soccer match?

Nobody here is excusing this man's attitudes or behaviors. It is a matter of whether or not his personal biases expressed in a private conversation can be used against him to this degree.
KC, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I think racism is only an American thing. I'm guessing you didn't read the post by Sherm (or perhaps came to a different conclusion). He's clearly saying racism is going to happen no matter what and there's basically nothing we can do about it.

Haha, I think all the non-lawyers have already nailed it.

Seriously, Sterling's despicable and I'm all for the owners doing whatever they want to people within their club, but it is rather odd that this penalty is handed down for verbal actions rather than a) [as Moqui said earlier in the week] Sterling's even worse discriminatory behavior over the course of decades or b) tangible harmful actions perpetrated by many of these high-profile people.

Could just be the difference between Silver and Stern.

KC, I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I think racism is only an American thing. I'm guessing you didn't read the post by Sherm (or perhaps came to a different conclusion). He's clearly saying racism is going to happen no matter what and there's basically nothing we can do about it.

Not sure why we made murder illegal. ... it's going to happen no matter what.

Very excessive punishment. It perfectly exemplifies the butthurt culture of modern America. People need to realize they don't have a right to not be offended.
Regardless of the idiocy of the action insulting the players and organization that made this person millionsthe NBA is a business and they will do all to not let this fool cause the business to suffer financial catastrophe. He's one ugly MF that has this hot mixed race chick being his GF solely because of his wealth and as a Jew he should know what discrimination is all about.

This forceful action was necessitated by the owner's own actions. If Sterling was allowed to remain the Clippers owner, the team would be unable to attract players and coaches next season and they would be boycotted by fans and sponsors. Sterling created a situation where it would be impossible for him to continue fielding a NBA team after the playoffs are over and the league was forced to deal with this unprecedented situation.

Sterling actions do not fall under the right to free speech and any attempt by him to fight this action in the courts is going to result in failure.

Agreed, this is wild. Dude was in the confines of his own home and was illegally recorded by a gold digger. There are probably dozens of pro owners who feel the same way. Of course, they are racists and a disgrace to the planet, but thats my opinion. Just as Sterling has his. Amazing that freedom of speech is going away.

That said, Sterling can sell for 700 million and vanish to any island he wants. He can even buy that island.
I suppose I'm naïve but I don't think there are dozens of owners that feel this way. It's 2014, yes there are racists but I doubt more than a few care owners truly get upset at people they are associated with bringing people of color to games.

What does any of that have to do with this? It's not a court case. There are no standards for what is admissible evidence. There's no need for a crime to be committed. His actions/words, regardless of how the public came to know of them, are detrimental to the NBA's brand, and they are taking steps to repair the damage done to it by a reckless embarrassment of an owner.
If the NBA tries to force him out, and he refuses to sell, it most surely will end up in court, and without his statements on that tape being admissible what basis can the NBA use to try to enforce a sale?
No illegal recording wil be found admissible, the NBA must know this, and what they are doing and saying is mostly for appearances and PR. I believe they have no way to enforce any of the things they are saying if Sterling does not agree to it, except perhaps for the fine, but even that is based on an illegally recorded tape.
Fruit of the poisoned tree.

The young woman who made this tape may in fact be prosecuted if Sterling decides to press charges. He has cause for damages to reputation and monetary.
Strictly speaking about what can be done, not defending the man or what was said.

To steal a quote from Mitch Hedberg, which sort of illustrates the point that franchise owners have to toe the corporate line:
  • "Every McDonald's commercial ends the same way: Prices and participation may vary. I wanna open a McDonald's and not participate in anything. I wanna be a stubborn McDonald's owner. 'Cheeseburgers? Nope! We got spaghetti and blankets.'"

And -- as an aside, not a hijack -- a recent Mitch Hedberg compilation that makes a great hour-long diversion from the workday: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mrloganrhoades/a-complete-ranking-of-almost-every-single-mitch-hedberg-joke

In professional sports, getting drunk and killing someone with your car deserves a slap on the wrist. Saying hurtful things deserves a seven-figure fine and a lifetime ban. Perverse.

The difference with a player who's supported by a union vs an owner. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember an owner who's killed someone with his car.

The difference with a player who's supported by a union vs an owner. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't remember an owner who's killed someone with his car.

That is a good distinction (I was thinking of that Atlanta hockey player and Donte Stallworth) between players and owners. I don't follow it closely enough to recall anything off-hand, though I'm sure there's some publicized owner behavior worse than insensitive speech.

If the NBA tries to force him out, and he refuses to sell, it most surely will end up in court, and without his statements on that tape being admissible what basis can the NBA use to try to enforce a sale?
No illegal recording wil be found admissible, the NBA must know this, and what they are doing and saying is mostly for appearances and PR. I believe they have no way to enforce any of the things they are saying if Sterling does not agree to it, except perhaps for the fine, but even that is based on an illegally recorded tape.
Fruit of the poisoned tree.

The young woman who made this tape may in fact be prosecuted if Sterling decides to press charges. He has cause for damages to reputation and monetary.
Strictly speaking about what can be done, not defending the man or what was said.

So then silver sells a franchise to another team in LA, the Lakers Buy the rights to the Staples Center. Game over.

Moqui, all kidding aside, aren't you a Clips fan?

What's your take on this? I imagine you're probably pretty thrilled to have Sterling forcibly extricated from the team, just to end his mostly dysfunctional era of ownership.
Wasn't a Clips fan per se, but I used to have a share in Clippers' season tix (in partnership with 3 other guys). We'd do a draft and pick 10 games each; Clippers stunk in those years but it was a great way to see NBA games because the best Lakers tickets are $$$$. Still, four years of games has left a fondness in my heart.

I have mixed emotions about this - on the one hand, Sterling is an embarrassment and it is good for the league to be rid of him. Of course, on the other hand, the thought that you can take someone's stuff just because he said something offensive bothers me. I don't like the precedent - his behavior wasn't offensive on Friday, but on Tuesday his team is taken away, while his character remains unchanged. As I noted in another thread, everyone has known that Sterling is a bigot - the courts have found him liable for discrimination on more than one occasion. So why did they turn a blind eye to his deeds but get all upset about this weird psycho-sexual thing he has going on ("you can fcuk black guys, but don't Instagram with them"). I even remember people asking Doc Rivers last summer if he thought he could work for a man with Sterling's history, and he tiptoed around it without really answering. So, everyone put up with this clown for years, but suddenly this? It's a bit Orwellian, like a 2 Minute Hate.

Of course, on the third hand, this has to be a tremendous relief to the Clippers players. My chiropractor is the unofficial team chiropractor, and he told me yesterday that the team psyche was fcked. Maybe this will serve as something that they can rally around.

The thing I don't get is he hasn't committed any crime and this isn't due to an incident Within the work place. Can you really be punished that severely on a recording you didn't Consent to? I think a lawyer will have a field day with this if they tray to proceed with what was announced.
Yeah, I'm scratching my head as to why this recording is grounds for such action.

That is a good distinction (I was thinking of that Atlanta hockey player and Donte Stallworth) between players and owners. I don't follow it closely enough to recall anything off-hand, though I'm sure there's some publicized owner behavior worse than insensitive speech.
e.g. Jerry Jones just for being himself.

Yeah, I'm scratching my head as to why this recording is grounds for such action.
they are using a . . . generous interpretation . . . of the NBA constitution; its not a legal action, its a corporate policy action

The nature comes from growing up within a specific culture (American) and being taught that everything your culture does is right and everything another culture does is wrong (like we do in America). People (Americans) need to be taught that other peoples' cultures are different, but that doesn't make them wrong.

For America to be so advanced and yet so far behind in knowing right from wrong is honestly fascinating.

...At least this was my interpretation of your post.

I am not sure what Sherm meant but I would have to agree that sad, ignorant, biggoted individuals like Sterling can be found within all cultures in all corners of the world. We can all strive to be better people and raise our children to love and accept everyone for who they are but we will never live in a world without people like this guy sad to say.