Sterling's cancer | Syracusefan.com

Sterling's cancer

SWC75

Bored Historian
Cancer is hardly a subject to be taken lightly but I thought I'd offer this anyway.

I'm a prostate cancer survivor. Naturally, when I was diagnosed I tried to find out as much about it as I could. I found that one in four men who live to a normal lifespan are likely to get a diagnosis of prostate cancer. If there are 16,000 men in the Dome there might be 4,000 men who will be told they have it. Prostate cancer itself is not fatal because the prostate is not a vital organ, except for procreaiton. When someone is said to have died of prostate cancer, it's because it wasn't treated in a timely fashion and was allowed to spread to vital organs. Prosptate cancer is often slowly developing and when it occurs in the eldderly, they often don't bother to do anything aobut it because the man is likely to die of something else before it could become a problem so there's not ened to put him through surgery or radiation.

In my case, I was diagnosed in middle age and the rate of progression was moderate so something had to be done and I underwent an SU-like 44 radiation treatments which turned the tumor into jerky. My PSA level went from 8.29 to, presently 0.72, (they get concerned if it's 4.0 or more). I never felt any symptoms of either the illness or the treatment. (The only discomfort came from having to have a full bladder at a precise point in time).

The articles on Sterling's cancer indicate he's been "battling it for some time" and that it's "slow moving", so i suspect he's one of those elderly men for whom they've decided to do nothing about it because he'll die of something else before it becomes a problem. I also suspect that the news of his cancer diagnosis has been released just to generate some sympathy for a guy who feels he needs some. it really ahs nothign to do with and does not mitigate his comemnts or the attitudes that produced them that ahve been well-known for many years.

Also there's the story of how he, (the owner of the Clippers), refused to help pay for a coach's prostate cancer surgery a decade ago and some of the players got together to pay for it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ner-donald-sterling-battling-prostate-cancer/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom